Coaching Candidates

JMM28

who on our current roster is a hotel management or a physical education major? the big public universities have oodles of majors available for their students that slu does not have. all the more ability to find a way to get a recruit to come. i consider that a "restriction".

We have Criminal Justice.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

who on our current roster is a hotel management or a physical education major? the big public universities have oodles of majors available for their students that slu does not have. all the more ability to find a way to get a recruit to come. i consider that a "restriction".

Slu isn't an ivy, far from it. As much as it pains to say, we are on par with mizzou academically unless you are in premed. Business, sociology, criminal justice, etc majors at Slu are all jokes. I find it very hard to believe most high school seniors would have a hard time getting into Slu to play bball because of grades. What's the average nowadays for getting accepted into Slu without having a sports gift? 24 act and 66% acceptance rate?

Slu isn't an ivy, far from it. As much as it pains to say, we are on par with mizzou academically unless you are in premed. Business, sociology, criminal justice, etc majors at Slu are all jokes. I find it very hard to believe most high school seniors would have a hard time getting into Slu to play bball because of grades. What's the average nowadays for getting accepted into Slu without having a sports gift? 24 act and 66% acceptance rate?

no, but having to take Theology, Philosophy and other core requirements is a turnoff for recruits.

i never said the big public schools were not also good academically. i said they have choices. choices that might make the difference between getting a player or not.

Roy, the statement was that you could not get in to SLU when you can get into other schools. My point was that SLU will accept any kid that meets NCAA minimum requirements out of high school and juccos as well depending on individual's credit situation. Now you are referencing degree options once in SLU and that is a different matter.

But his record suggests him finding a way to finish right around .500 in league play regardless of the amount of elite talent on his roster. His best season in the Big 12 was with a team ranked in the top 5 heading into the season and he manged to lose 9 games with that roster and not win a game in the tournament. This guy is as mediocre as they come, the white Frank Haith. He is sold as a big time recruiter and a bad x's and o's coach, one of those will definitely translate to SLU.

I was thinking more the white Larry Finch, but I don't think that would be fair to Finch. Finch had a lot more success than Ford ever had.

Back to the issue of academics at SLU. SLU is not a diploma factory as some schools are. For example, remember Willie, same class as Kwamain. He was a very good basketball player but could not cope with academics at SLU and dropped out. You do not see players dropping out of state schools because of academics, or do you?

no, but having to take Theology, Philosophy and other core requirements is a turnoff for recruits.

I never put these two aspects of my life together. But you make a good point. SLU's Core requirements (which are a bit extreme) make actually be detrimental for basketball.

But his record suggests him finding a way to finish right around .500 in league play regardless of the amount of elite talent on his roster. His best season in the Big 12 was with a team ranked in the top 5 heading into the season and he manged to lose 9 games with that roster and not win a game in the tournament. This guy is as mediocre as they come, the white Frank Haith. He is sold as a big time recruiter and a bad x's and o's coach, one of those will definitely translate to SLU.

So I ran OK St record during the Ford years and projected their team into the A-10 ...as though they were an A-10 member

This is what it looks like....

........................Ok St. in the A-10 hypothetical...................SLU actual

2016........................9-9.........7th pl........................................5-13....12th pl

2015.......................13-5.........2nd pl......................................3-15.....14th pl

2014........................14-2.........1st pl.......................................13-3.....1st pl

2013.........................13-3........1st pl........................................13-3.....1st pl

2012..........................9-7........6th pl.........................................12-4.....2nd pl

2011..........................9-7.........6th pl.........................................6-10....10th pl

The numbers show that Ford would hold his own quite well in the A-10

So I ran OK St record during the Ford years and projected their team into the A-10 ...as though they were an A-10 member

........................Ok St. in the A-10 hypothetical...................SLU actual

2016........................9-9.........7th pl........................................5-13....12th pl

2015.......................13-5.........2nd pl......................................3-15.....14th pl

2014........................14-2.........1st pl.......................................13-3.....1st pl

2013.........................13-3........1st pl........................................13-3.....1st pl

2012..........................9-7........6th pl.........................................12-4.....2nd pl

2011..........................9-7.........6th pl.........................................6-10....10th pl

Huh. With players Ford recruited to OSU?

You're assuming he gets the same players/team at SLU. If Ford brings a Marcus Smart-level talent plus others to SLU, then sure, he'll have a good chance at the success in the A-10 you project above.

Back to the issue of academics at SLU. SLU is not a diploma factory as some schools are. For example, remember Willie, same class as Kwamain. He was a very good basketball player but could not cope with academics at SLU and dropped out. You do not see players dropping out of state schools because of academics, or do you?

Nobody ever said SLU was diploma mill. All that was said was that if you meet the NCAA minimum requirements then you can get in if you are on a schollie. While I don't have any names I am sure somewhere in the USA a kid on a bb or football schollie has not made it academically.

You're assuming he gets the same players/team at SLU. If Ford brings a Marcus Smart-level talent plus others to SLU, then sure, he'll have a good chance at the success in the A-10 you project above.

Exactly should dominate the A10 with a Big12 big state school roster