Coaching Candidates

JMM28

Different schools have different cores. I just had never really thought about how my advising appointments with students (which often include grumbles about the A&S core) had much to do with my basketball interest. I doubt it affects basketball much (if a player wants to come here, SLU will find a way). But I would not be surprised if it does hurt us in JUCO world a little.

Yeah, I would guess it has some effect on whether or not some JUCO guys are legit options. I doubt it will affect many HS seniors though.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will resist ads. I, however, may need to do a fundraiser in the next year. I actually have not calculated how much in the red I am, but I am certainly in the red.

I read this when I stopped to eat on my way to Muskogee Ok. for business. I will be happy to write you a check to help out please keep us posted. I love this site and most of the posters and I really appreciate what you do.

Let's all unite as one and get behind our new Coach, Travis Ford!

We are Saint Louis!

Let's go Bills!

Your getting me fired up Bay Area, thank you.

Different schools have different cores. I just had never really thought about how my advising appointments with students (which often include grumbles about the A&S core) had much to do with my basketball interest. I doubt it affects basketball much (if a player wants to come here, SLU will find a way). But I would not be surprised if it does hurt us in JUCO world a little.

For Jucos (an incredibly archaic term only still used in reference to athletics), I don't think it's as much "core" and whether they can handle it as it is transfer of credits. Specifically the long-discussed-here lack of a PE program and the inability of many transfers to use their Underwater Basketweaving for Physical Training credits as legitimate progress towards a degree.

For Jucos (an incredibly archaic term only still used in reference to athletics), I don't think it's as much "core" and whether they can handle it as it is transfer of credits. Specifically the long-discussed-here lack of a PE program and the inability of many transfers to use their Underwater Basketweaving for Physical Training credits as legitimate progress towards a degree.

the PE thing hasn't been the case for years. There has been a limit on the number of PE credits that can be transferred. Any JUCO with a history of placing kids at D1 schools knows the rules. The core is the issue because JUCO's have to have 40% of their degree requirements completed upon entering so the core courses are outstanding which adds to the number of credits needed to be completed to graduate. It's not the number of credits they transfer in it's what they need to get their degree.

As for freshmen, if SLU is not admitting athletes based on qualifier status only that's a nice change from the past when ability to actually succeed in school if admitted was taken into consideration.

the PE thing hasn't been the case for years. There has been a limit on the number of PE credits that can be transferred. Any JUCO with a history of placing kids at D1 schools knows the rules. The core is the issue because JUCO's have to have 40% of their degree requirements completed upon entering so the core courses are outstanding which adds to the number of credits needed to be completed to graduate. It's not the number of credits they transfer in it's what they need to get their degree.

As for freshmen, if SLU is not admitting athletes based on qualifier status only that's a nice change from the past when ability to actually succeed in school if admitted was taken into consideration.

"For years" = 2 years, no? I thought that was when the rules changed.

And if limit on the number of PE credits > 0 (I believe it's 2), SLU is at a disadvantage, because it won't recognize any, whereas I would guess (and I am in fact just guessing) that any number of schools will recognize them as "what they need to get their degree."

So I guess as it turned out, Jamie Dixon leaving Pitt created a domino effect that took the top two candidates for many of us (Stallings and Drew) to go elsewhere. Maybe Ford really was SLU's top choice... we'll probably never know the truth. I like Drew, but certainly no guarantees he will succeed stepping up in class. He will be swimming with sharks recruiting against some of these SEC hucksters. Stallings did an admirable job in that environment. Will Drew continue to be a rising young star or turn into a "re-tread"? It's funny how quickly some of the guys labeled as hot young coaching candidates can turn into re-treads.