Coaching Candidates

JMM28

You guys really over state the Mid-west ties angle. If you're a good recruiter you get in good with the local coaches etc. Not all that magical. That can take time but it's not some insurmountable obstacle. I could see the argument for Stallings as we were already in recruiting battles with him so we were in the same hunting grounds. Rice has shown an ability to go where ever it takes to get recruits Australia, Germany, TX all outside the CONUS.

I know ya'll don't speak English correctly in STL but do ya'll also drive on the wrong side of the road? Are elevators referred to as Lifts and toilets flush backwards?

I like the Australia/international angle, but agree to disagree. Romar had a hard time getting West Coast kids to come to the Midwest. Yes, he got Fisher who was solid and near the end the Hollins kid, but it took Romar a LONG time to gain traction. He missed out on a lot of West Coast kids he was recruiting... and I imagine Romar is a more dynamic recruiter than Rice. I just can't think of a lot of coaches who move West to East and have a great deal of success. I'm sure people will dig and find some examples, but I can't think of many that readily come to mind. I think Ford would be a better recruiter.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not happy about this hire but i think most of the posters who are losing their ###### are going overboard.

Did you anticipate anything different?

I was anticipating no matter what happened that there would be some craziness on the board. I just didn't expect it to be from me. I'm not happy. Also this is just bizarre no statement from SLU other than they didn't hire a coach. So it's 12:15 some announcement should've been made by now.

Did you anticipate anything different?

I was anticipating no matter what happened that there would be some craziness on the board. I just didn't expect it to be from me. I'm not happy. Also this is just bizarre no statement from SLU other than they didn't hire a coach. So it's 12:15 some announcement should've been made by now.

My guess is that Stu has jumped the gun on sources not from SLU. SLU's position from jump street was to not comment until a hiring was made.

I like the Australia/international angle, but agree to disagree. Romar had a hard time getting West Coast kids to come to the Midwest. Yes, he got Fisher who was solid and near the end the Hollins kid, but it took Romar a LONG time to gain traction. He missed out on a lot of West Coast kids he was recruiting... and I imagine Romar is a more dynamic recruiter than Rice. I just can't think of a lot of coaches who move West to East and have a great deal of success. I'm sure people will dig and find some examples, but I can't think of many that readily come to mind. I think Ford would be a better recruiter.

You're whole opinion is based on Lorenzo Romar. Yeah maybe Romar 16 years ago tried to get West Coast kids to come to SLU and actually had a couple. That doesn't mean that Rice from Idaho (pretty good drive from the Coast) will do the same. He seems to do what the Boise St FB team does and get guys from wherever he can.

SLU can't announce they've hired a coach...until they've hired a coach.

That said, I very seriously doubt Stu would have run with that story unless he had an unimpeachable source. I'd also bet it was a source who, even if traced, would never be punished. With those two criteria, I have a guess who the source might be. You might, too.

Also, all this stuff about intentional leaks assumes a level of sophistication and/or Machiavellianism that's way above that of the U. (On the latter, especially because Father Borgia is no longer The Prince.)

You're whole opinion is based on Lorenzo Romar. Yeah maybe Romar 16 years ago tried to get West Coast kids to come to SLU and actually had a couple. That doesn't mean that Rice from Idaho (pretty good drive from the Coast) will do the same. He seems to do what the Boise St FB team does and get guys from wherever he can.

No... I also said this - I just can't think of a lot of coaches who move West to East and have a great deal of success. I'm sure people will dig and find some examples, but I can't think of many that readily come to mind. CAN YOU THINK OF MANY EXAMPLES?

My point in bringing up Romar is that I consider him a better recruiter and he didn't come in and start lighting it up with recruiting.

No... I also said this - I just can't think of a lot of coaches who move West to East and have a great deal of success. I'm sure people will dig and find some examples, but I can't think of many that readily come to mind. CAN YOU THINK OF MANY EXAMPLES?

My point in bringing up Romar is that I consider him a better recruiter and he didn't come in and start lighting it up with recruiting.

It's a different time than when Romar took the job in 1999. For one, SLU now has a new and modern facilities. They also have a legit recruiting budget. Also, the increased TV coverage plays a factor. Kids can go to a school far from home and their families can still watch them in almost every game whereas in the past that wasn't possible. Izzo once talked about a top player from abroad choosing UCLA over Michigan State because UCLA was on TV more and his parents could watch him (this is in the late 90's.). Not the case anymore.

SLU can't announce they've hired a coach...until they've hired a coach.

That said, I very seriously doubt Stu would have run with that story unless he had an unimpeachable source. I'd also bet it was a source who, even if traced, would never be punished. With those two criteria, I have a guess who the source might be. You might, too.

Also, all this stuff about intentional leaks assumes a level of sophistication and/or Machiavellianism that's way above that of the U. (On the latter, especially because Father Borgia is no longer The Prince.)

This is all conjecture (which I know some people hate) but I think he was feeling the pressure for having absolutely nothing to add to the search discussion. This perhaps caused him to lower his journalistic standards with regard to this 'source'. All for the sake of being first to break the story. Now, he could turn out to be correct, but at this point who knows...

I work with a guy who used to do sports radio in StL and he says it's not as concrete as it seems...people run with bad info all the time.

Neither Stu nor his editor would allow him to have the lead story on the sports page without a really, really good source. He could, in fact, be wrong, but whoever told him is very high up and/or very well connected.

Or a PLANT

MV5BODc2NjI2MDQxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTEy

Neither Stu nor his editor would allow him to have the lead story on the sports page without a really, really good source. He could, in fact, be wrong, but whoever told him is very high up and/or very well connected.

I've just assumed that Stu's source was on the Ford side of things. He never reported anything new besides Ford info.

And it is funny to think of the athletic department, that can't even get the dead period dates correct, leaking selective info to figure out a leak.

I've just assumed that Stu's source was on the Ford side of things. He never reported anything new besides Ford info.

And it is funny to think of the athletic department, that can't even get the dead period dates correct, leaking selective info to figure out a leak.

I think it's obvious stu didn't get his info from SLU

Didn't Miklasz report Painter was going to Mizzou? As I recall, that happened during the day, so no print issue, but would that have been printed?

Yep, it's reminiscent of when Pedro Guerrero's attorney successfully used the defense that his client lacked the IQ to be the mastermind of a drug ring.

Regardless, however, this whole thing is Sofa King strange.

Yep, it's reminiscent of when Pedro Guerrero's attorney successfully used the defense that his client lacked the IQ to be the mastermind of a drug ring.

I love that story. His wife testified that she gave him an allowance because he didn't understand the concept of money, and that he didn't know how to make a bed.