Coaching Candidates

JMM28

Exactly. I keep hearing hyperbolic statements like "SLU ain't gettin' Izzo or Self or Krzyzewski to come to Midtown"...what an idiotic misrepresentation of the fandom's actual position.

It is an exaggeration about the good folks on this board to try to prove some point that SLU is not big enough. Big enough to hire a coaching legend that took the basketball program to the highest level I have experienced. Why think small, what can't SLU be like Xavier? The facilities have been upgraded to a top 50 program and the wages for a coach is pretty high. It is unreal to read and hear how this site and its good fans are being trashed. If it is coach Ford then I will support him and hope for the best but I will have low expectations. I prefer the high expectation I had when coach Majerus was signed.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is an exaggeration about the good folks on this board to try to prove some point that SLU is not big enough. Big enough to hire a coaching legend that took the basketball program to the highest level I have experienced. Why think small, what can't SLU be like Xavier? The facilities have been upgraded to a top 50 program and the wages for a coach is pretty high. It is unreal to read and hear how this site and its good fans are being trashed. If it is coach Ford then I will support him and hope for the best but I will have low expectations. I prefer the high expectation I had when coach Majerus was signed.

And even Xavier never hired a 'big name coach'. Neither did Gonzaga.

If I recall correctly, Xavier hired Prosser from Loyola, Matta from Butler (who at the time wasn't a huge job), and promoted Miller and Mack internally. Gonzaga promoted Monson from an Assistant role and the same with Few. ZERO 'big time' hires for either of those programs...but they were SMART hires. Sometimes the right move is not the big move.

And even Xavier never hired a 'big name coach'. Neither did Gonzaga.

If I recall correctly, Xavier hired Prosser from Loyola, Matta from Butler (who at the time wasn't a huge job), and promoted Miller and Mack internally. Gonzaga promoted Monson from an Assistant role and the same with Few. ZERO 'big time' hires for either of those programs...but they were SMART hires. Sometimes the right move is not the big move.

So we got a coach from the Stuart Smalley coaching tree...

Bernie is a great writer but terrible on the radio and gets personal. No need to waste your time listening to his radio show.

Totally agree here. Yesterday I heard him scream for an hour defending Dan Shaughnessy for saying UConn was ruining women's b-ball.

Exactly. I keep hearing hyperbolic statements like "SLU ain't gettin' Izzo or Self or Krzyzewski to come to Midtown"...what an idiotic misrepresentation of the fandom's actual position.

Bernie this morning: "SLU fans are upset that the administration didnt go to Oklahoma City and get Billy Donovan". Yeah Bernie, thats exactly what we are saying.

That's just infuriating.

Just because we don't want to settle for Travis Ford doesn't mean we expect an all-time great coach to land on campus. The other coaches most of us have said we'd prefer are entirely reasonable hires for SLU - assistants, coaches from smaller programs.

It's pathetic they have to make up a straw man in order to insult us.

That's just infuriating.

Just because we don't want to settle for Travis Ford doesn't mean we expect an all-time great coach to land on campus. The other coaches most of us have said we'd prefer are entirely reasonable hires for SLU - assistants, coaches from smaller programs.

Totally ignorant of what the fan base is actually saying. If there is any SLU fan who would make a comparison like "shoulda gone for Izzo", they doesn't even know we fired Crews yet because they don't actually follow the program closely. Lazy, lazy, lazy.

-where's the success from the Coach K tree? Brey is about it and many have not done well

I would take Capel over Ford. Collins and Wojo are still early in their respective positions. Amaker isn't doing too bad either. Neither is Hurley. I'd also consider Dawkins.

What's pathetic is that most fans have set the bar so utterly low for this program. It's not that we have unrealistic expectations, we just don't want to settle for being a mediocre program while having incredible facilities/funding which gives slu a very high ceiling.

Shut the up you whiny bastard

-where's the success from the Coach K tree? Brey is about it and many have not done well

Isn't the Coach K tree really a branch of the Bobby Knight tree, ergo a brother branch next to Jim Crews? Or is Coach K's tree a seedling from Bobby Knight's tree?

When is Arbor Day?

'

That's just infuriating.

Exactly, Bernie would have no clue who most of the guys we would rather of had to Ford were. If you would to tell him Otzelberger was a big time power forward prospect for the Blues, he would agree with you.

That's why I prefer the nitwittery on 920.

+1 I keep telling people this. The "sports" radio on 101 is awful - all day, everyday. There isn't a lot of sports talk in the morn on 920 but when they do, it's not delusional and full of homerism like it is at 101 with Bernie and on Randy's show

Totally agree here. Yesterday I heard him scream for an hour defending Dan Shaughnessy for saying UConn was ruining women's b-ball.

He takes everything to the extreme. There is never any middle ground except of course his logical, well thought out approach. Just like this. If we don't like Ford ... it means we are "crazies or lunatics" that think we should be choosing between Self, Izzo, or Coach K.

I would take Capel over Ford. Collins and Wojo are still early in their respective positions. Amaker isn't doing too bad either. Neither is Hurley. I'd also consider Dawkins.

-check out Dawkins record at Stanford versus his predecessors, not good, what UCF sees in him is not what I see

-Quinn, I don't think the Mizzou folks would consider him a success

-Bender, not much

-Capel is back under K's wing on the Duke bench, why? Blake Griffin was great on the elite 8 run but this points to one of my red flags on coaches, did they have success with one player or recruiting class that defines their time at that school, normally this happens to coaches at lower levels who get hired by the big boys, is the new OKST coach an example? I'm not sure

-I'll give Collins and Wojo a pass

-Brey is the lone bright light from what i see

That's just infuriating.

You can add Frank 'The hair piece' Cusamano to that group in the media. He was the that said we were expecting someone of Izzo's caliber. Sounds like Bernie ran with that idiotic statement.