Coaching Candidates

JMM28

0% chance we would be waiting out Drew like this if we hadn't been in talks with his camp for awhile now. I think he's given indications that he's interested, and at this point it will be painted as a "last-minute change of heart" (sound familiar?) if he doesn't come here. Or if he now sees somewhere like Vanderbilt as a better fit, that wouldn't be unreasonable

In which case, he would be a rip_hammer.jpg

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it seems once you know who and when...the rest of the posts are either hand wringing or fluff. As we wind down to the final hours ( or last couple of days ...depending on how the ball bounces tonight) It is encouraging that the agreement is still in place. For it to survive these many weeks (well before the Crews firing) is a good sign. To go this long makes it unlikely to unravel at this point....Btw , the idea that assistant coaches who are done for the season would have to "think about " a $ 2million dollar contract is just folly. A Trump wall couldn't keep those people from signing in a few minutes. Which also goes back to the larger point (again) that any candidate who is done for the season ...if they were our 1st choice...they would be our coach right now.

Based on May's statement...our intention is to hire an existing head coach...only 8 left that are still busy...within 3 weeks...4 will still be busy after Thur. So that leaves Drew, Lonergan (GW), BYU or SDSt. I think it is pretty clear who the choice is. Could something go wrong ? Sure it is an agreement, not a done deal. Could Southern University ( D- ) have won the NCAA tourney...It was possible but not probable As the quote from Descartes at the bottom of all my posts states.....when you don't know what is true...follow what is most probable.

If Descartes was AD, he would choose Drew.

Tick...tick...tick

Well, it seems once you know who and when...the rest of the posts are either hand wringing or fluff. As we wind down to the final hours ( or last couple of days ...depending on how the ball bounces tonight) It is encouraging that the agreement is still in place. For it to survive these many weeks (well before the Crews firing) is a good sign. To go this long makes it unlikely to unravel at this point....Btw , the idea that assistant coaches who are done for the season would have to "think about " a $ 2million dollar contract is just folly. A Trump wall couldn't keep those people from signing in a few minutes. Which also goes back to the larger point (again) that any candidate who is done for the season ...if they were our 1st choice...they would be our coach right now.

Based on May's statement...our intention is to hire an existing head coach...only 8 left that are still busy...within 3 weeks...4 will still be busy after Thur. So that leaves Drew, Lonergan (GW), BYU or SDSt. I think it is pretty clear who the choice is. Could something go wrong ? Sure it is an agreement, not a done deal. Could Southern University ( D- ) have won the NCAA tourney...It was possible but not probable As the quote from Descartes at the bottom of all my posts states.....when you don't know what is true...follow what is most probable.

If Descartes was AD, he would choose Drew.

Tick...tick...tick

You give me so much optimism that I'll be crushed if you're wrong.

If Drew comes to SLU there is only really one job I see him leaving for and that would be ND. Him coming to SLU would mean that all the stories about cultural fit being most important to him are true. That means the only job that could really lure him away would be ND. I don't see Brey leaving ND anytime soon .Maybe a Georgetown, but I don't see Drew as a beltway type of guy.

There are also the Protestant Baylors and Dukes to consider.

That is interesting on Martin. Is he on a year-to-year deal at Cal. I am sure UT was willing to extend him with a raise before he left them for the Cal job. Seems like in these days HC's are looking for the security of long term contracts with buyouts.

I am trying to figure this out.

My understanding is he coaching at Cal based upon his offer sheet, but not an actual employment contract.

You give me so much optimism that I'll be crushed if you're wrong.

If it doesn't go through...it won't be me who is crushing you ...it will be Drew. But he seems like a stand up guy ...whose word is his bond. Basically, it comes down to...if we keep our end of the bargain, he will keep his. Considering all the chatter on college basketball coaches ..aside from some random speculation on message boards or some rogue reporter throwing Drew's name into various pots...you really don't hear his name mention much in serious contention for other jobs....I think that is because his people have put out the word that he is taken.

Tick...tock

They have already made an offer to an assistant coach like I have said before, as for why it's has not been announced I'm assuming they are working out some details that maybe the coach wants , like recruiting budget, travel. Recruiting budgets are a big deal. Will slu give him a 12 mill recruiting budget like Marquette, probably not but that's a big deal to a coach

+1

They have already made an offer to an assistant coach like I have said before, as for why it's has not been announced I'm assuming they are working out some details that maybe the coach wants , like recruiting budget, travel. Recruiting budgets are a big deal. Will slu give him a 12 mill recruiting budget like Marquette, probably not but that's a big deal to a coach

We will soon see who has the correct inside information. If The Wiz is correct I am sure that SLU and Drew would have dotted the I's and crossed the T's on such things like budget and recruiting budget.

Inglesby got an interview. Slu reached out to him along with Deleware

I don't know...

We know he got two interviews. But we haven't heard Ingelsby or any other assistant coach connected to this job.

I hope you're right but I'm not about to trust you.

This is patently false. I have it on high authority that our coach will not be named until April 14th, the day after the Lakers season ends, to immediately name Kobe Bryant as our next head coach. Much like Majerus, he will hire Porter Moser as his next in line coach. Porter, fresh off of a head coach's salary, will personally buy a case of beer for every season ticket holder next year.

BTW Volfan P-D's Stu said that he has no knowledge of SLU interviewing Asst. candidates and in fact reached out to some in the Power 5 and none of them had contact with SLU...sounds like crickets. Like I said one of you should be correct and the other will not be. Time will tell!

I will be correct

BTW Volfan P-D's Stu said that he has no knowledge of SLU interviewing Asst. candidates and in fact reached out to some in the Power 5 and none of them had contact with SLU...sounds like crickets. Like I said one of you should be correct and the other will not be. Time will tell!