Coaching Candidates

JMM28

I get what you're saying, but outside of Drew and maybe some others that we might not be thinking of, the available existing head coaches do not make you say "wow!" So in a group of not exactly big names, he's pretty good. I'd prefer Rice to Dooley, Ford, Terry. I'd put Grant ahead of Rice probably, but not unequivocally.

I agree with all of this. Rice isn't a wow hire but he'd be a better fit than Dooley or Ford or Terry. He's still not a guy that gets everyone excited but we're getting to the point where I guess we have to expect that

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at Ford getting a second interview doesn't have me worried. Didn't interview with May the first time, and is a fallback option because if he was option 1 he would already be the coach. Drew to SLU is still promising because no one has filled the spot. Take a deep breath, there is plenty of time to panic later.

Looking at Ford getting a second interview doesn't have me worried. Didn't interview with May the first time, and is a fallback option because if he was option 1 he would already be the coach. Drew to SLU is still promising because no one has filled the spot. Take a deep breath, there is plenty of time to panic later.

That Travis Ford is interviewing should scare you. Whether he's Plan A, B, C, or D. He should not be interviewing.

If Drew was a done deal, we wouldn't be talking to Ford.

Drew isn't going to happen. He is in too much demand to take the SLU job, if he is looking to make a move.

We need to be looking elsewhere for something better than Ford and Dooley. They have proven to be mediocre coaches and that will not suffice to resurrect our current situation. I'm all for rolling the dice on an up and coming assistant than settling for either of those two.

I agree with all of this. Rice isn't a wow hire but he'd be a better fit than Dooley or Ford or Terry. He's still not a guy that gets everyone excited but we're getting to the point where I guess we have to expect that

Rice has everyone back for Monmouth next year, his value will only increase if he stays.

Been saying this for months about Bennett. He'll never leave SMC and why would he?

So I know he was mentioned earlier, but in light of Notre Dame still being in the tournament I am wondering if the search firm/AD will reach out to Martin Ingelsby if a deal is not in place with another candidate. Watching the guard play of ND over the last few seasons (his area of emphasis as a member of the staff) as well as his role in helping make game plans are two reasons I would love to see SLU take a long look at him. He played at ND and is considered an up and comer in coaching circles. The experience at a major Catholic institution could lend him to sharing in the vision that the university is trying to promote. As Pistol mentioned in a prior post, there is little to be found on his recruiting, but I would much rather him than Ford or Dooley. On a semi-related note, go Irish tonight.

Rice has everyone back for Monmouth next year, his value will only increase if he stays.

Been saying this for months. He'll never leave SMC and why would he?

Leon Rice from Boise St is who we are supposedly looking at. King Rice is the coach of Monmouth.

That said, the only rumor I've seen about Rice is from Snelling who literally knows nothing.

I'm not as down on Ford as everyone else. I think he's the kind of guy that will do better in the A-10 than at a BCS school. Some BCS jobs just have a ceiling (Vanderbilt, Oklahoma St., Mississippi St). That's why I would have taken or would take Stallings, Stansbury, or Ford. I agree that Drew is the first choice, but if we're not his choice, I'd be happy with Ford.

So I know he was mentioned earlier, but in light of Notre Dame still being in the tournament I am wondering if the search firm/AD will reach out to Martin Ingelsby if a deal is not in place with another candidate. Watching the guard play of ND over the last few seasons (his area of emphasis as a member of the staff) as well as his role in helping make game plans are two reasons I would love to see SLU take a long look at him. He played at ND and is considered an up and comer in coaching circles. The experience at a major Catholic institution could lend him to sharing in the vision that the university is trying to promote. As Pistol mentioned in a prior post, there is little to be found on his recruiting, but I would much rather him than Ford or Dooley. On a semi-related note, go Irish tonight.

May wants a head coach. Don't blame him on that.

I'm not as down on Ford as everyone else. I think he's the kind of guy that will do better in the A-10 than at a BCS school. Some BCS jobs just have a ceiling (Vanderbilt, Oklahoma St., Mississippi St). That's why I would have taken or would take Stallings, Stansbury, or Ford. I agree that Drew is the first choice, but if we're not his choice, I'd be happy with Ford.

Oklahoma State is nothing like Vandy.

Travis Ford had every possible advantage at Ok. State and couldn't succeed at a high level. He will fail miserably here.

Oklahoma State is nothing like Vandy.

Travis Ford had every possible advantage at Ok. State and couldn't succeed at a high level. He will fail miserably here.

I don't think Travis Ford is who we should have as our coach, but he dealt with an inordinate amount of injuries to key players during his tenure at OSU.