Coaching Candidates

JMM28

Honestly I'd be higher on Dooley if he were still at Kansas. He's been underwhelming at both of his head coach stops and there are some FGCU people who are really disappointed that he hasn't done much better after their Sweet 16 run. Combine that with the reports that players didn't like his rigorous practice styles and I think you're looking at a 50 year old Jim Crews

Good point..i think that is the main reason we are going after an established head coach. An assistant can look great, but until they run the show it's unpredictable. SLU can't afford to up another hire.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't want to play us regularly but our coach is good enough for SLU. Who are the most delusional posters on the internet? The answer is like the Michael Jackson song "Man in the Mirror."

Why would Bryce Drew turn down Tulsa and Iowa State and take up Saint Louis on an offer?

Didn't want to play us regularly but our coach is good enough for SLU. Who are the most delusional posters on the internet? The answer is like the Michael Jackson song "Man in the Mirror."

Why would Bryce Drew turn down Tulsa and Iowa State and take up Saint Louis on an offer?

Good question. Make sure Frank asks him that during his press conference at Chaifetz. Until then we won't have the answers.

As we all read and / or post about candidates for the SLU job, I was amazed this afternoon to listen to the 101 FM show with Randy K in which Randy stated that he had only heard of 2 possible candidates for the SLU job, Dooley and Stallings. It appears that no one on the Fast Lane show reads the morning P-D which had the article on Drew. And clearly none of the hosts read Billikens.com!

Talk about uninformed sports talk radio hosts!

When it comes to SLU Randy K is clueless and his partner Brad Thompson is not even close to clueless.

I would rank them that way as well. I would add to the Drew doubters, that there may be a family connection to St. Louis. Homer was born here and attended Wash U for graduate school, I wonder if there are any relatives still living here.....

That answer is no. I have asked Bryce that question directly.

Hopefully Dooley gets a nice raise from FGCU out of this and we end up with Drew. I'd like to know that FGCU is at least fighting to keep him

This is where hope and reality are the farthest apart.

That answer is no. I have asked Bryce that question directly.

His aunt, uncle and a couple cousins on his farther's side still live in the area. His grandmother passed away two years ago. His grandmother founded the Animal Welfare Association in Warrenton.

Would people like Dooley more if you throw out his seasons at ECU? I'm sure having to compete with Duke, Wake Forest NC State and N.Carolina for recruits makes that job pretty difficult.

This is why I think Dooley is so comparable to Crews. I throw out Dooley's years at ECU and Crews' years at Army. Dooley's success at FGCU is comparable to Crews' at Evansville. Dooley's time as an assistant at Kansas is comparable to Crews' time as an assistant at Indiana.

Let's stop the name calling and attacking. Everyone should be able to ask questions without being personally attacked.

Also, my understanding is that the administration and its boosters have the requisite financial and resource commitment to cover the head coach salary figures that are being suggested, as well as the assistants and other staff.

College basketball is now part of a greater strategic plan to raise the visibility and profile of the university.

Agreed with the name calling.

As far as Thicks goes, why don't we lighten up. He's been a great poster and moderator here for long before many of you were posting. I get you think his view on women's sports was outdated, just plain wrong, and ridiculous. Personally and as someone coaching young ladies, I agree and was surprised he wrote it. But he took the heat, it's his opinion ... can we let it die. We've lost so many good posters over personal attacks.

This is why I think Dooley is so comparable to Crews. I throw out Dooley's years at ECU and Crews' years at Army. Dooley's success at FGCU is comparable to Crews' at Evansville. Dooley's time as an assistant at Kansas is comparable to Crews' time as an assistant at Indiana.

While I am not a big Dooley fan and would prefer others on the list, I do see it as slightly different. Crews' years at Army were after he was an assistant at Indiana, almost 20 years after so his learning time from a proven head coach was over. Dooley was not good at ECU but after that he was the assistant under Bill Self for 10 years so hope he would've picked up some things so he would be improved from then.

Also, when I look at recruiting, Dooley would've been around the area for Kansas as recently as 2012 so he should still have plenty of contacts and relationships that he built there that he can still use to recruit to SLU. Crews was last at Indiana in 1985 so recruiting from that time until now would be completely different. Since you can't really recruit to Army, the last time Crews would've recruited to Evansville would've been couple years before Dooley was even an assistant at Kansas.

Like I said, Dooley is not my first choice but I do understand the idea that he may be able to recruit the area. Yes it is easy to recruit to Kansas but you still have to work hard to get those kids over other top schools and know how to build that relationship with the kid and their family so they feel like it would be a good place for them to be. Look at the work Capel had to do in order to land Tatum.

Let's stop the name calling and attacking. Everyone should be able to ask questions without being personally attacked.

Also, my understanding is that the administration and its boosters have the requisite financial and resource commitment to cover the head coach salary figures that are being suggested, as well as the assistants and other staff.

College basketball is now part of a greater strategic plan to raise the visibility and profile of the university.

Glad you said something, attacking opinions is BS. The new coach is an exciting time for SLU fans and this should be fun. Thicks comments about where is the money coming from is a good question I have no idea. I believe the culture concerning basketball has changed since Chaifetz was built and the hiring of coach Majerus, two things I never saw happening. Hiring a firm gives me confidence in plan A, B and C. I am enjoying this thread with the exceptions of the attacks because the majority on this site are smart passionate fans that I enjoy reading about what is on their mind.

Alright I get a mention on the Valpo Board. Not sure if I should be flattered. BBSTD doesn't get it, I'm advocating for Drew for sure but the one that will coach circles around their Buy School coach, Drew Diener.

Also, I like Bennett's resume over SD's. Sustained success and program building cred.

Anyone else think Scott Drew looks like Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker? Let's just say I nearly asked him about the SLU job in LaGuardia last night (I thought maybe the coaches were flying in for some NIT stuff).

In summary BBSTD needs to learn his or her place. Drew Diener Express Toot Toot. All white guys look alike.

Valpo's fans feelings about us, for those fans flipping through I like your team and coach.

"The Billiken posters on that board have been delusional longer than Valpo has had a message board.

Jimbo5, brianstl, cheeseman, TheA bomb, slufan13, etc, etc, etc. They are all diluted. Especially Jimbo5 and John D, who is also on the BirdsOntheBat message board"

"Wow! 112 pages on Coaching candidates is insane. They must have a lot of people that don't work posting on their board. One poster has 14,500 posts, somebody quick add up the man hours for that many posts...."

My reply to the 112 pages is we love our team and are very passionate fans.

Valpo's fans feelings about us, for those fans flipping through I like your team and coach.

"The Billiken posters on that board have been delusional longer than Valpo has had a message board.

Jimbo5, brianstl, cheeseman, TheA bomb, slufan13, etc, etc, etc. They are all diluted. Especially Jimbo5 and John D, who is also on the BirdsOntheBat message board"

"Wow! 112 pages on Coaching candidates is insane. They must have a lot of people that don't work posting on their board. One poster has 14,500 posts, somebody quick add up the man hours for that many posts...."

My reply to the 112 pages is we love our team and are very passionate fans.

It's true. They've all been rendered weaker via the addition of water.