Coaching Candidates

JMM28

Rumor has it, we've got a deal but can't announce it until after the finals. RUMOR being the key word. The majority of posters seem to be high on Stallings, but supposedly that ain't happening. Plus, Vandy hasn't fired him and why would they? ESPN thinks they could be a final four team next year. Next in line in terms of likes on here is Cuonzo Martin. Again, Cal hasn't canned him but there is that AC charged w/ sexual harassment.

May has said we're going after a HC. Who that is is anyone's guess.

Sounds like an assistant on a top team... . Jeff Capel?

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We need a coach who can recruit not just h.s. but JUCO.

Listen Menace...unlike you and your fellow Venice, Ill degenerates, SLU requires their scholar athletes to be proficient in the 3 R's. While JUCO transfers may be able to hack it, academically, at the likes of SPUMAC and Methdale, most of them can't cut the mustard in the hallowed halls of Saint Louis University.

Listen Menace...unlike you and your fellow Venice, Ill degenerates, SLU requires their scholar athletes to be proficient in the 3 R's. While JUCO transfers may be able to hack it, academically, at the likes of SPUMAC and Methdale, most of them can't cut the mustard in the hallowed halls of Saint Louis University.

Let's not get carried away, SLU is not Yale, the problem with JUCO's is the transfer requirements. Read: No pe major at SLU.....rigor of academics is a different issue and Hines seems to be doing just fine.

Unfortunately they students without a good academic background who go to a JUCO, do not start a chemistry or biology major....they tend to do PE.

We do not need to put down other schools to make ourselves feel better.....

I think Jensen's resume looks good. He played for Majerus for 4 years, played 7 years of pro ball, coached under Majerus for 4 years and was a head coach in the D league (coach of the year). In an interview Brian Conklin was asked what things he remembered Majerus saying most in practice and his answer was "...show 'em Al".

I think Jensen's resume looks good. He played for Majerus for 4 years, played 7 years of pro ball, coached under Majerus for 4 years and was a head coach in the D league (coach of the year). In an interview Brian Conklin was asked what things he remembered Majerus saying most in practice and his answer was "...show 'em Al".

i like this post

jensen is not a good choice. he was never developed as an assistant. i suspect one of the reasons he left slu was because he wasnt being trained to advance. as i said a few posts above, name me a slu player (not even a good player) that jensen recruited. rickma was indeed a basketball genius. but he was also a control freak and did not spread around much beyond the mundane tasks of running the program to his assistants. that is why his coaching tree is pretty much bare. no success stories from a rickma assistant. so there is no reason to believe the guy that was rickma's chauffer and his player go between that quit to coach low level minor league professional ball would be a good college head coach.

now if whomever we do hire wants to hire alex and let him actually develop as an assistant, learning the ropes i have no problem with that.

Around the time Jensen left, I remember reading on here that he quit in part because he did not like the recruiting grind. Is there any reason to even think he would be interested in being the head coach other than people remember that he coached here for a few years?

Also, remember this is a guy who quit on Majerus and a good team about 1 month before the season started and that is how we ended up with JC.

Let's not get carried away, SLU is not Yale, the problem with JUCO's is the transfer requirements. Read: No pe major at SLU.....rigor of academics is a different issue and Hines seems to be doing just fine.

Unfortunately they students without a good academic background who go to a JUCO, do not start a chemistry or biology major....they tend to do PE.

We do not need to put down other schools to make ourselves feel better.....

Somehow Marquette has managed to get JUCOs. It's not impossible.

On Jensen ask this question, who did he recruit to the billiken?

Ever hear the name Jordair Jett. Al actually had to talk Rick into taking him. He explained to him that if we wanted to get to the next level we needed to take an academic gamble on a kid like this. So before you you go bad mouthing a former Billiken like Al, I would suggest you do a little homework. There are many others also that he was the lead recruiter on. Jordair was probably the best.

I think it is quiet because I think SLU will offer some coach of a team still playing. Chris Crutchfield was mentioned in this thread as a rumor so it makes sense that it is quiet. Several other assistants have been mentioned too and I think their teams are still playing too. Sit back and enjoy the tournament ride and get ready for the new coaching announcement and new coach thread coming in after the championship.

I think it is quiet because I think SLU will offer some coach of a team still playing. Chris Crutchfield was mentioned in this thread as a rumor so it makes sense that it is quiet. Several other assistants have been mentioned too and I think their teams are still playing too. Sit back and enjoy the tournament ride and get ready for the new coaching announcement and new coach thread coming in after the championship.

Perhaps they will offer to a coach still coaching in the NIT.....

I thought May made a point of saying we are going after a HC. I'm thinking it is a successful HC from the lower mids. Other than Vandy fans want Stallings gone, I don't think he's leaving.

Looking at the mids in the tourney the two that stand out are Underwood at SFA and Beard at ARK-LR. Either one would reignite some enthusiasm. Leaving out UNI's Jacobsen, be cause he seems to like it there.