Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder if part of that is due to the drop off in enrollment too. Just read that Mizzou is expecting 1500 fewer freshmen and a budget deficit of $32 million. Would not be best time to go out and spend a lot on a new basketball coach.

I think it may have more to do with the punishments they're facing from the Haith era. It will be easier for them to bring in a new coach after that shite storm has blown over.

Lavin's teams get W's, his teams make the postseason, he can recruit, he has a name in the sport..... "Lavin would be an awful hire" is completely wrong.

He did make the tourney 2 times at St. John's, once with a team with 8 seniors he inherited and once when his first recruiting class (what was left) were all seniors. And he only one 2 post season games, 1 in the BET and another the first round of the NIT (2-8 overall in the post-season),). And don't forget that blowout loss to Robert Morris, at home, in the NIT. And he had to take chances on guys who SLU would never let in....many who didn't make it academically.

However, that ship has sailed.... off to the University of San Francisco.

Southern Schools do well in all the warm weather sports and as far as gymnastics go well big schools dominate it.

People here were excited when Grant was hired. He had an enormous budget, he was surrounded by national champions in other sports, he didn't produce. He didn't seem to have any excitement, he was low energy.

Avery Johnson already has the program headed in the right direction.

Grant won with Capels players. He's never built a program.

--In 9 years, Grant has a .637 winning percentage as a head coach, schedule strength 4.2.

--In 12 years, Lavin has a .612 winning percentage, schedule strength 9.3.

--In 28 years, Crews has a .515 winning percentage, schedule strength -0.51.

--In 25 years, Majerus had a .705 winning percentage, schedule strength 3.57.

My top candidates for Head Coach would be as follows

1. Rick Byrd

2. Bryce Drew

3. Anthony Grant

4. Chris Beard

5. Rick Stansbury

Byrd seems to be a Belmont lifer. He has pined for the Tennessee job before though. Is he tired of having to win his league tournament to get to the NCAAs? Him losing may be a good thing for us. You have to make a call to him and offer him big bucks. He is the closest coach to Majerus out there. His hiring would be a homerun, energize the program like when we hired Spoon. Little chance of it happening.

Drew is next. There aren't many top jobs available. Unless somebody retires there are no really good BCS jobs opening up. Offer him enough money and he could come here. Still he most likely turns us down.

As mentioned before Hiring Grant before OKC is done with their season will be difficult. That may take him out of the running. We need a coach now not in June. He'd be a solid hire though.

Dark horse is Chris Beard. as far as up and coming low major HCs he would be my choice. He will get some play at some lower level BCS schools this offseason but SLU is a better option than that.

Stansbury will get some offers probably from Ok St, maybe Memphis or another Texas school. He doesn't seem like the type to coach at SLU but you never know.

There are some Assts out there. Crutchfield has been mentioned. Other Assts of note in the Midwest region Steele from Xavier, Boals at TOSU, Lavall Jordan is constantly mentioned as a HC coaching candidate. For my money I would prefer Bacari Alexander also from Michigan or Dwayne Stephens at Mich St. I'd much rather have a HC though.

FWIW I think Chaifetz comes out of nowhere with a candidate with an NBA background.

Calm down Donald Trump. "Low energy" doesn't actually mean anything. He didn't perform at Alabama. I get it, I think he's a better coach than a lot of other people mentioned

Low energy means something to me. In this case it means that he didn't get the students or graduates involved or excited.

Low energy means something to me. In this case it means that he didn't get the students or graduates involved or excited.

-we have discussed on here the difficulty in consistently getting the students to games, it is probably too much to put on a new coach that they need to lead that charge but some involvement would be nice since it otherwise seems a massive chore

I will take the 53 year old HC from 2 BCS schools (second tier in their conferences in both cases) with 8 NCAA bids, NBA draft picks, and who has incubated a pretty good list of other HCs from his staff including the hot young one in our league. On the beach right now so no buyout. That is the type of guy who we have had the most recent success with (RM and to a lesser extent Spoon).

Chris Beard is an interesting candidate. Super quick turn around at Little Rock. Team went from 223 to 56 in this his first season. The top 8 players included 3 jucos and one immediately eligible transfer. The roster was purged of four players that had eligibility left. They really slow down the tempo.

I will take the 53 year old HC from 2 BCS schools (second tier in their conferences in both cases) with 8 NCAA bids, NBA draft picks, and who has incubated a pretty good list of other HCs from his staff including the hot young one in our league. On the beach right now so no buyout. That is the type of guy who we have had the most recent success with (RM and to a lesser extent Spoon).

Sendek? Another guy I could be ok kicking the tires on.

Sendek would be great. He will almost certainly go east coast. I don't think there is any chance we get him.