Coaching Candidates

JMM28

As one of the drivers of the "Pat Kelsey for SLU Coach" bandwagon, I'll let you guys know that his Winthrop team will play for the Big South tournament championship tomorrow. They play UNC-Asheville, who beat top-seeded High Point today. Winthrop is the 2 seed, while UNC-Asheville is the 4 seed.

Kelsey should be on the short list. The guy appears to be a natural for SLU.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just thankful we didn't get a similar tweet from Chris May.

LOL, good one!

As one of the drivers of the "Pat Kelsey for SLU Coach" bandwagon, I'll let you guys know that his Winthrop team will play for the Big South tournament championship tomorrow. They play UNC-Asheville, who beat top-seeded High Point today. Winthrop is the 2 seed, while UNC-Asheville is the 4 seed.

Final minutes. On ESPN2. Winthrop is down by 6.

I think SLU could do a lot worse than Kelsey. But I think SLU could do a lot better than Kelsey too.

I like Kelsey but like Dana Ford better. Head man at Tennessee State,at 31 is the youngest D1 coach. Just named Ohio Valley Coach of the Year after inheriting a team with one returning player on a 5 win team 2 years ago to 20 wins and number 4 finish in OVC after taking down Belmont in season finale. Fastest regular season turnaround in D1

I think SLU could do a lot worse than Kelsey. But I think SLU could do a lot better than Kelsey too.

I kind of agree. My thoughts are that you should start out looking at the more accomplished options like Bryce Drew, Jarod Haase, Brad Underwood, and maybe guys like Herb Sendek or Anthony Grant. If that doesn't turn up much, I think then you need to figure out what the best fit for SLU is. Kelsey's familiarity with how Xavier has run a program might outweigh another coach making 1 or 2 NCAA tournaments where said coach has spent his entire career coaching outside of the Midwest.

Back up the truck to BEN JACOBSEN. This should have been done a long time ago. If not him Underwood. Winthrop guy is not worth it, drew isn't going anywhere

Jacobsen would be my top choice. Unfortunately, he's not coming to SLU. SLU may have some money to work with, but not the money they'd need to get him. Even if you could offer him enough money to leave UNI (he's allegedly making 900k now), he has a huge buyout they'd have to pay. He signed a 10 year contract extension last year, and they buyout states that if he takes another job before sometime in 2017, UNI gets half of the remaining value of the contract. Depending on whether that is calculated on base salary or everything, the buyout would be between $2-4 million.

I just don't think SLU has the juice to pay that, plus the salary increase and Crews' buyout.

I'd be happy with Underwood though.

Jacobsen would be my top choice. Unfortunately, he's not coming to SLU. SLU may have some money to work with, but not the money they'd need to get him. Even if you could offer him enough money to leave UNI (he's allegedly making 900k now), he has a huge buyout they'd have to pay. He signed a 10 year contract extension last year, and they buyout states that if he takes another job before sometime in 2017, UNI gets half of the remaining value of the contract. Depending on whether that is calculated on base salary or everything, the buyout would be between $2-4 million.

I just don't think SLU has the juice to pay that, plus the salary increase and Crews' buyout.

I'd be happy with Underwood though.

BS. Some donors....Jesuit funds and a few deals get it done. Just have to want it. Our facilities and conference are superior.

To sign Jacobson you are going to have to pay him substantially more than the dollar amount remaining on his UNI contract. That amount is over $8 million. So Jacobson is going to cost you at least 10 million over five years. Then you have to pay for his buyout at UNI which is going to cost you $4 million. So we are talking about a cost to sign Jacobson of atleast $2.8 million a year. That isn't going to happen

Interesting, well that answers one of the local coaching decisions and could kill our chances with a couple of the local 2017 kids from across the river.

The Illinois football situation is an absolute mess, I wonder who is going to take that job.

And Whitman goes out and hires Lovie Smith.

I only watched the second half of the Winthrop-Asheville game, but I can't say I was very impressed by how Winthrop played. By all acounts, they're the more talented team on paper (and per the eye test), and they were disorganized and panicky, making poor decisions, suffering defensive lapses, and not running much of an offense. Again, small sample size, but it didn't do anything for my opinion of Pat Kelsey.

Just a few points of information.....

Winthrop is a C team...If they were in the A-10 they would be similar to UMass and probably have a losing record this year. They lost yesterday to Asheville a C+ team...best team in the Big South ...The BS is a D conference.

If Bruce Weber gets canned at K St., he could be an interesting candidate.

-I would expect Frank to be pimping for him if he is available, but his greatest success came with Self's players, I would hope we can do better

-I would expect Frank to be pimping for him if he is available, but his greatest success came with Self's players, I would hope we can do better

I think he is a better fit at a school like SLU than at either Illinois or K St.. He recruits the area well (just signed Sneed) and what he built at SIU was impressive.

I think he is a better fit at a school like SLU than at either Illinois or K St.. He recruits the area well (just signed Sneed) and what he built at SIU was impressive.

I agree. Even if he doesn't get fired from KSU, I'd take a run at him. Probably can't increase his salary, but could be a scenario like Creightion hiring McDermott before he got axed at Iowa State.

The big benefit to Weber would be that he already is very familiar with STL. Already gas connections here. Built SIU into one of the best mid-major programs in the country by getting STL players that Romar and Soderberg overlooked.