Coaching Candidates

JMM28

apparently you groce wishers have not seen any of the illini games this season. they have had just about as many "bad" second half finishes in games as the billikens this season. the game last night was as painful as can be imagined. it was so bad i turned to the republican debate to finish the night. groce might be a good recruiter, but even with the illini injury issues this season, this guy doesnt appear much of a game and practice coach. we can do better.

before those of you give us the brilliant thought of pairing him with a strong x's and o's assistant. since al mcguire and hank raymond, when's the last time that was a huge success? most head coaches have too much ego to allow their assistants to coach the games and practices. and most assistants are assistants to recruit and dont have a track record of coaching the x's and o's. you wont find many former head coaches that were that good of strategists but not good enough to be head coaches. i.e. just dont think you will find that tandem. but by all means show us the way.

Groce sounds like a glorified Moser. No thanks.

Who do you think are some reasonable coaching targets that you'd like to see at SLU, Roy?

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Groce sounds like a glorified Moser. No thanks.

Who do you think are some reasonable coaching targets that you'd like to see at SLU, Roy?

I got nothing. I am hoping we have the backroom bucks aligned to steal a real coach. That's my first choice and there is absolutely no way of us knowing what current successful (and I'm not talking about the guy that over achieves next month and becomes the flavor of the month) coach would take such a leap of faith.

If that isnt possible, I guess find the assistant that was mainly responsible for recruiting a recent hugely successful roster. (Oklahoma assistant comes to mind) and hope like hell he can coach as well.

If not that I'd really roll the dice with a lower D 1 head coach that has the pedigree plus has shown signs of success if just given a chance. I always go back to horace broadnax who coached a fabulous game vs crews in crews interim year and almost beat us. But that said, his teams since haven't done much.

But I can't help but be intrigued by a former john thompson national championship player with a law degree that showed us in that oNE billiken game a fabulous game plan and inspired his much lesser players to a chance to beat us. I.e. he's been to the mountaintop as a player and if he became a lawyer he must also have a strong sense of academics which I love.

But man that scenario would really be rolling the dice.

I say we have to trust our saint louis brain trust to make a good decision. That's their job.

Something for those with interest in King Rice of Monmouth. He agreed/signed a contract extension yesterday. Doesn't necessarily take him off the market, but it does mean you'd have to pay more for him now.

He is not leaving.

The guy at winthrop sounds interesting.

I think the pickings will be slim. I dont believe SLU is nearly as attractive of a job as it might otherwise be with the past two years unending nightmare.. Tough to come in here and start winning.

Think i saw Kevin O'Neil has he been mentioned on any of these 31 pages. looking good and healthy.

Yikes.

For some reason I thought he was known as a successful coach. Took a look at his record at his various stops in his career. Other than having a more impressive list of places where he coached, his record may make Crews' pre-SLU coaching record look good.

Yikes. And to think, I thought he might be an ok option back when we hired Majerus.

It would be nice if Kelsey could win a conference hampuonship.

It looks like Winthrop will finish in a tie with High Point for the regular season Big South title. Apparently High Point has the tie breaker, so they will be the top seed, Winthrop the #2 seed.

Winthrop had a chance to clinch it outright the other night, but they lost a close one at High Point. They came back and won today, but it's looking like High Point will win also to get the #1 seed.

Earlier in the season it was mentioned Crean was in the hot seat at IU. They clinched a share of the Big Ten regular season today. Really has nothing to do with us, but just an incredible turnaround from disappointment to then make it to the top of a loaded conference.

Earlier in the season it was mentioned Crean was in the hot seat at IU. They clinched a share of the Big Ten regular season today. Really has nothing to do with us, but just an incredible turnaround from disappointment to then make it to the top of a loaded conference.

On a similar note, I was seeing comments about Kevin Stallings was underachieving again at Vanderbilt as recently as 2 weeks ago. I was even wondering if we'd have a chance to make a run at him, either due to him getting fired at Vandy or wanting to get out before he got fired. Now, Vandy is 1 game out of first place in the SEC and they may be going to the NCAAs.

OG Anunoby from Jefferson City (played with the Eagles prior to his junior season) is having a solid freshman season for Indiana. He is more of an energy player at this point in his career, but he has big time length and athleticism for a guy with more of a perimeter game. Were we involved in his recruitment? He is averaging 4.1 points and 2.4 rebounds (5.8 points and 3 rebounds in conference).

They also have freshman Juwan Morgan from Waynesville on their roster. Morgan is averaging just 2.2 points and 2 rebounds. While his numbers are not impressive he is another player from the state who would have filled an obvious need for SLU.

Crean offered jordan goodwin this weekend. Goodwin's sister had a good experience at Indiana after transferring from slu.

I've got one for you... Matt Driscoll at North Florida. He just wrapped up his second consecutive Atlantic Sun title at a school that could barely compete at the Division II level 15 years ago. His is the most enthusiastic coach I've seen since Bruce Pearl. He has completely turned the entire athletic program around with his excitement and personality. His team has led NCAA Division I in 3 point shooting all year with only two talented players on his roster. If you are looking for unbridled positive enthusiasm, he is your guy. He is the anti-Crews.

I've got one for you... Matt Driscoll at North Florida. He just wrapped up his second consecutive Atlantic Sun title at a school that could barely compete at the Division II level 15 years ago. His is the most enthusiastic coach I've seen since Bruce Pearl. He has completely turned the entire athletic program around with his excitement and personality. His team has led NCAA Division I in 3 point shooting all year with only two talented players on his roster. If you are looking for unbridled positive enthusiasm, he is your guy. He is the anti-Crews.

I once guided the Ospreys to a Final Four in College Hoops 2k8

I got nothing. I am hoping we have the backroom bucks aligned to steal a real coach. That's my first choice and there is absolutely no way of us knowing what current successful (and I'm not talking about the guy that over achieves next month and becomes the flavor of the month) coach would take such a leap of faith.

If that isnt possible, I guess find the assistant that was mainly responsible for recruiting a recent hugely successful roster. (Oklahoma assistant comes to mind) and hope like hell he can coach as well.

If not that I'd really roll the dice with a lower D 1 head coach that has the pedigree plus has shown signs of success if just given a chance. I always go back to horace broadnax who coached a fabulous game vs crews in crews interim year and almost beat us. But that said, his teams since haven't done much.

But I can't help but be intrigued by a former john thompson national championship player with a law degree that showed us in that oNE billiken game a fabulous game plan and inspired his much lesser players to a chance to beat us. I.e. he's been to the mountaintop as a player and if he became a lawyer he must also have a strong sense of academics which I love.

But man that scenario would really be rolling the dice.

I say we have to trust our saint louis brain trust to make a good decision. That's their job.

Bryce Drew is my pipe dream. I thought I saw where he was making $500K at Valpo. Is a 200% raise and chance to coach at a higher level enough to draw him away from the alma mater? Who knows, but I would love to have this dude as our coach.

Bryce Drew is my pipe dream. I thought I saw where he was making $500K at Valpo. Is a 200% raise and chance to coach at a higher level enough to draw him away from the alma mater? Who knows, but I would love to have this dude as our coach.

And where is the $1.5 million coming from?

I think his salary is just under $300,000, but total compensation is probably closer to $500,000. Plus, he's signed through 2023.