Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are a clown. The only personal attacks I have seen on here are attacks on Jolly. He earned them with his "T" in the ISU game. Personal failure. Yarbrough flat-out has tunnel vision, I don't know if the seeming selfishness is just frustration, lack of court awareness, or what. I will guess it is a combination of just wanting to 'do something' when things are not going well and a lack of leadership on the court to create a cohesive shot-generating offense. The players personally do not deserve abuse. These are solid dudes and guys getting somewhere in life. Noone has at any point said otherwise to the best of my knowledge. The on-court performance is open to criticism. Noone is more aware of the on-court failure than the kids in the locker room. Do you think they are stupid and unaware of what has happened the past few games?

I've been watching college hoops for a quarter of a century. Do you think I need to read a bunch of books to realize that home blowouts by UT-Martin are unacceptable? Who are these "Intelligent, knowledgeable grownups" what does that even mean? Troll.

Nice

I haven't seen this name mentioned yet, Travis Steele the associate head coach at Xavier under Chris Mack. He's been there seven years so he has seen what it takes to win consistently and recruit at a similar kind of program in this part of the country.

http://goxavier.com/coaches.aspx?rc=90

Another name along the same thought process is Kevin Kuwik an assistant at Dayton since 2011 when Archie Miler got the job. Besides Miler he has also worked under Thad Matta at Ohio State and Brad Stephens at Butler. Like Steele he should know what it takes to win at a program like this.

http://daytonflyers.com/coaches.aspx?rc=399

People normally mention D1 head coaches and assistant coaches as the candidates, which is fine....but it might be worth a look at dominant non D1 coaches to find the next Bo Ryan.

Or the next Kim Anderson.

Bo had most of his success at Wisconsin Plateville but came to Madison directly from Milwaukee, a D1, where he had a .500ish record for 2 seasons.

You STLians will get a chance to see our next Coach Drew Diener 1/28 and 1/30 when his team plays in STL. They are 5-3 currently and lost by 11 to D1 UMKC this season though I'm not sure that game counted for UMKC.

https://rockhursthawks.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball

As to THICKS point RE Jamall Walker, he has no head coaching experience (DD won a National Championship) but I'm willing to consider him too. He's been a successful recruiter, knows the area and is a SLU guy.

http://www.fightingillini.com/staff.aspx?staff=179

You STLians will get a chance to see our next Coach Drew Diener 1/28 and 1/30 when his team plays in STL. They are 5-3 currently and lost by 11 to D1 UMKC this season though I'm not sure that game counted for UMKC.

https://rockhursthawks.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball

http://www.fightingillini.com/staff.aspx?staff=179

He'd be great....as an assistant coach.

I don't think you can go take a chance with a coach from a lower level or an assistant at this time given the current shape of the program. You have to go with a coach who has a proven D1 track record. You can't afford to take a chance on a guy without a current D1 head coaching track record even if you think there is a chance he might be a home run hire. You have to hire a guy that you are sure will at least get you back to respectability and a tourney bid every now and then.

You can't have another failure hire. You have another guy who blows up in your face and this program might never recover.

I don't think you can go take a chance with a coach from a lower level or an assistant at this time given the current shape of the program. You have to go with a coach who has a proven D1 track record. You can't afford to take a chance on a guy without a current D1 head coaching track record even if you think there is a chance he might be a home run hire. You have to hire a guy that you are sure will at least get you back to respectability and a tourney bid every now and then.

You can't have another failure hire. You have another guy who blows up in your face and this program might never recover.

+ Infinity

But this is exactly what I said when we were set to hire Jim Crews, too, so, whatever.

This must be the Marquette guy everyone always accuses me of being.

Lawyers, creative bunch

And please no Kim Andersons here. If there's not a proven guy available, I like the idea of poaching a top Xavier assistant or some "up and comer" of that ilk who would like to build and sustain a program. That's what we want here, isn't it

Lawyers, creative bunch

And please no Kim Andersons here. If there's not a proven guy available, I like the idea of poaching a top Xavier assistant or some "up and comer" of that ilk who would like to build and sustain a program. That's what we want here, isn't it

Yup.

But please for the love of God exhaust all "proven guy" avenues, first. Leave no stone unturned, no dollar unspent.

Hello everyone first post long time reader of all on this site. Could SLU offer enough money to Kevin Stallings for Kevin to leave Vanderbilt? Kevin is from the area and I think may have been interested a long time ago. SLU needs to make a big splash like the Rick Majarus hiring to bring in big time recruits.

Hello everyone first post long time reader of all on this site. Could SLU offer enough money to Kevin Stallings for Kevin to leave Vanderbilt? Kevin is from the area and I think may have been interested a long time ago. SLU needs to make a big splash like the Rick Majarus hiring to bring in big time recruits.

Probably not - he has turned us down before.

HIRING A COACH "REALITY." Started as an undergrad in the 1950s. BB season ticket holder since late 1970s. When you consider the "ups" and "downs" of this program you mostly have "mediocrity." It was rumored that Valvano was a candidate but withdrew when the then President of the University considered dropping down to Division II. Instead we got Ron Eckker who wanted to change our Billiken mascot to "Billy Lou," an over-sized clown! Spoonhower built his program in Springfield (MO State) with junior college transfers. Unfortunately hated recruiting and after most of the players that he inherited graduated, the program went down hill. AT least Fr. Biondi saw that college BB could help enrollment and fill seats which could pay down the bonds on Chaifetz Arena. Majerus temporarily turned the program around but his failing health led to poor signings. Coach Crews inherited a team of over-perfomers whose defense got us to three NCAA tournaments. Now the program can only attract two star players. Unlike Xavier, Dayton, Creighton,and Marquette, we really don't have a long time history of BB success. Part of this was due to poor administration support. Part to poor hires. We do NOT need a Majerus/grandfather clone as coach. Hire an upcoming coach under the age of 40 who can build a program which will attract teenage three star (four star unlikely) recruits. . Hughes was here for one year because his younger brother was a heart transplant patient at Cardinal Glennon. Skip the east and west coast. We would be more likely to attract players here in the Midwest. We cannot attract 3-4 star St. Louis talent currently. They say that they want to go out of town but they look at this program as wasting their talent here. Expect to pay "big." Crews currently gets $852 yearly (per St. Louis Business Journal). This is the year to make the coaching change since we only have two juniors and only two scholarships to fill next year.The new coach will still have time to get in on 2017=2018 recruiting. If he is really successful, expect to lose him to a better program. Good luck.

Zach Spiker has Army at 10-4. His stock is trending up. They're projected to win the Patriot League at ARMY.

At halftime in Army's game against Bucknell yesterday, one Bucknell player was 9-9 from the field while his teammates were 0-15. That stat seems almost Billikenesque.

There's nothing wrong with going after a top flight assistant as sometimes they end up being better hires than an established head coach from a lower level program. Pecora had a proven track record at Hofstra, that didn't work for Fordham, nor has Ferry at Duquense after great success at LIU. Sometimes that jump from low major to a higher level exposes the deficiencies of the coach. Dayton and Xavier have done well going the top assistant route but it needs to be someone who comes from a program with similar resources and limitations that SLU has.

There is obviously no magic formula. For every Pecora you could get a Gregg Marshall. You can't just hire a big name or someone because thet experienced success at their previous stop or got hot in the Tourney one year, otherwise you could end up with Jim Ferry, Andy Enfeld, Anthony Grant, Barry Hinson or Mike Rice.

Also, don't discount a guy with greater ambitions who may view SLU as a stepping stone to a Power 5 job. If they leave after a few years that means they've been successful and left the program better than they found it.