When will enough be enough?

slu72

Twenty one months ago we were ranked ninth in the nation and heading for a four seed in the dance. Since our second round loss to UL, this program has hit rock bottom and likely teetering on the edge of the abyss. Overly dramatic or being a chicken little on my part? Don't think so since we've yet to see an uptick in this team's performance over the past ten games. As Thicks asked a couple of weeks ago about how this group reacts to adversity, well, it seems we have our answer.

The problems with the current group do not need to be rehashed here. We all know too well what they are; a lack of legit D1 talent that allows us to compete in a very tough conference, and a staff that can't coach them up or install a system that can compensate to some extent for our lack of talent.

The responsibility for the program's decline lays squarely at the feet of Crews and May. As fans we have to wonder when we're going to get some idea as to their plans for turning this around, or are we fans being too demanding in our expectations for SLU hoops? I don't feel it's the latter.

Yes, we're young, and the fans didn't expect a dance invite this year, but we did expect to see some signs of development. We've not seen it, and some will argue it's going the other way. If this lack of growth continues, is the plan to stay the course thru Crews' contract term and risk the program sinking further into oblivion, or can we expect a change sooner rather than later? It begs the question when is enough enough?

I hope this issue is under discussion by the powers that be and a time frame for improvement is being established, because if this ugly brand of basketball continues the silence coming from the empty seats at the Fetz will scream louder than a sold out game against Mizzery.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There were a lot of free tickets given away to get the crowd to 7000 something on a Saturday night. Money talks louder than anything, and I'm not even sure I can go to any more games and be tortured. It's getting tough to give away tickets; the only reason I'm subjecting myself to this is that they're already paid for.

There were a lot of free tickets given away to get the crowd to 7000 something on a Saturday night. Money talks louder than anything, and I'm not even sure I can go to any more games and be tortured. It's getting tough to give away tickets; the only reason I'm subjecting myself to this is that they're already paid for.

since i am playing in the band for a few weeks and my wife was working last night started working on giving away my two seats plus the 4 gimmee's as soon as we got those freebies in the mail two weeks ago. after 6 turndowns, i finally was rid of all of them just two days ago and my own seats only 6 rows off the floor were regifted after i gave them away. the young couple sitting there were so bored i feel i owe them apology.

"St. Louis University, it can be argued, does not possess a point guard. Or, you could say the Billikens are overflowing with them.

Coach Jim Crews is opting for the latter view as the team prepares for its season opener Sunday afternoon."

:D

It's an embarrassment of riches!

No, make that just an embarrassment.

I'm repeating this question on here, because it is a serious question and I would really like some opinions on it:

I just find it hard to believe that the present regime would actually fire Crews and find a new hire. As much as people on here are calling for that -- does anyone really believe that will happen, 4 months from now, under present leadership?? Because I don't .... or at least, I find it rather hard to imagine that it can and will happen -- but maybe I'm the only one finding that implausible...

I'm repeating this question on here, because it is a serious question and I would really like some opinions on it:

I just find it hard to believe that the present regime would actually fire Crews and find a new hire. As much as people on here are calling for that -- does anyone really believe that will happen, 4 months from now, under present leadership?? Because I don't .... or at least, I find it rather hard to imagine that it can and will happen -- but maybe I'm the only one finding that implausible...

i kind of don't expect it to happen either. which is gotdamn terrible. if business is business, then which hurts more? paying his asinine buyout or continuing to lose ticket sales, concessions, donations, etc?

kentucky fires coaches when they don't reach final fours. kentucky could put a .500 team out there and still pack the place, partly because there's nothing better to do sports-wise, and partly because they're kentucky. winning is a tradition, and being a fan is a tradition. we have neither right now. and no money.

so what do we have? a 3-year-old bullet point on a gotdamn admissions brochure.

I think it depends on a few people: Dr. Chaifetz and any other big money donors. If they've seen enough, they'll offer to pay the buyout and the salary for a new coach, and Crews will be gone. If they don't lead the charge, Crews might be back.

I barely want to watch the rest of this season, so I'm trying not to think about watching another season of this trash. If this was any sport other than men's basketball, I'd have no doubt that Crews would be here until his contract expired.

It's a good question and definitely fair. I think we as fans have to rely on the biggest donors to force the issue. May and Pestello aren't idiots and I'm sure they see the momentum slipping away (ok it's completely gone), but the biggest hold up would probably be buying out Crews' contract and then still having the money to hire somebody good

I hope everyone realizes that unless we hit an incredible homerun, we are in for a long road back no matter what or when a coach switch happens. Majerus pulled out all the stops roster wise and admittedly was a basketball genius coaching the players he brought in and it was 5 years before we were more than mediocre. This current roster is far worse and still young. My guess we are looking at a 10 year process. Folks this is ekkertime. 1983 approaches and it may be a couple coaching changes to right this ship. But one thing is sure. The sooner we change course the better. I seriously doubt we are gonna pay the freight for the homerun. I truly think we might be better taking an up and comer from lower levels and giving him the needed tools to recruit like crazy. Time will tell but I just doubt we have the cash to bring in the immediate game changer. I hope I'm wrong. We shall see. But for now just free us from the failed booby knight wanna be.

It's a good question and definitely fair. I think we as fans have to rely on the biggest donors to force the issue. May and Pestello aren't idiots and I'm sure they see the momentum slipping away (ok it's completely gone), but the biggest hold up would probably be buying out Crews' contract and then still having the money to hire somebody good

-the U will have to weigh the merits, keep the dumpster fire going and risk a loss of donations, ticket sales, prestige, any hope of a BEast invite, becoming a buy game etc or make a change and write a check and try to turn it around with a new staff

-I do have fear that the U will think the current regime has the ability to turn it around and the result being there will be more ushers and vendors than fans

-you can't offer free pizza to everyone to attend like we have to do with the students

I hope everyone realizes that unless we hit an incredible homerun, we are in for a long road back no matter what or when a coach switch happens. Majerus pulled out all the stops roster wise and admittedly was a basketball genius coaching the players he brought in and it was 5 years before we were more than mediocre. This current roster is far worse and still young. My guess we are looking at a 10 year process. Folks this is ekkertime. 1983 approaches and it may be a couple coaching changes to right this ship. But one thing is sure. The sooner we change course the better. I seriously doubt we are gonna pay the freight for the homerun. I truly think we might be better taking an up and comer from lower levels and giving him the needed tools to recruit like crazy. Time will tell but I just doubt we have the cash to bring in the immediate game changer. I hope I'm wrong. We shall see. But for now just free us from the failed booby knight wanna be.

Disagree. This can be fixed in 2 years.

We have everything except the right coaching staff. Better coaches will result in better players.

Acie I find it l ironic you are throwing statements docB made in the past on his face that he made towards you when personally you are the king of bringing back past comments. I temporary retired from this board mainly for comments of mine I made towards crews at the beginning of his interim year that you were continously reposting to try to discredit my opinions during that good season by the billikens. Yet now two years later when that talent is gone and my comments ring almost prophetic you've made no effort to admit I was right you were wrong on Crews and instead, you are wanting docB to condone your negative attacks on jolly. Goes around buddy.

-I do have fear that the U will think the current regime has the ability to turn it around

If half the giant sophomore class he brought in transfers out, it pretty much becomes impossible for them to adopt this line with a straight face. If all or most of the sophomores decide to come back, I fully expect us to get two more years of this.

If half the giant sophomore class he brought in transfers out, it pretty much becomes impossible for them to adopt this line with a straight face. If all the sophomores decide to come back, I fully expect us to get two more years of this.

I expect them all to stay because where else are they going to go?