GDT - St. Francis NY

billikenbill

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK my turn. I was there, attendance was poor but not terrible.

What can I say/, those guys were playing a physical game and, at least initially, we were not. Got swamped over by them, also they had some almost magical 3 point shooters that we could not counter in the first half. In the second half things were different we neutralized some of their guys that were causing harm, but they got others from the bench that could also shoot 3s.

On our side, Milik and Miles were the best on our side, both in FGs and FTs. Ash was OK but could not sink a FT to save his life. Jolly did surprisingly well, and Gillman did not do so bad either, Neufeld was a let down, they could block him easily. I enjoyed seeing Bishop play and make a 3 pointer at the end of the first half. A lot of the game was furballs of people fighting for the ball and the referees calls were erratic at times.

Despite all, we managed to keep calm and composed and plinked away to establish a lead in the second half which was maintained. I have no access to the stats at this moment but we played better than they did in the second half and they got o lot more fouls than we did. In the last 5 or 6 minutes they started getting desperate and out lead grew.

We ended the game with Eagelton and Hines playing, nice to see that. And, as the Wiz predicted they almost won by 17 (we did win by 16 actually).

I have heard it said that a team tends to play to match the opposing team. If this is true we played at their level a good portion of the game and they played at ours. The balance was restored at the end of the game and we won. I enjoyed it.

We played disjointed in the 1st half but we got ourselves righted in the last 3 or so minutes in that half and did well in the second half. I have been somewhat encouraged so far - no I do not think we will beat Louisville or WSU - but we may be able to be competitive in most games. If you look at the box score, we did OK - held the other team to 60 pts - that alone will win games, he held them to under 30% from the arc which against a team that lives by the 3 that is not bad, we out rebounded them - only by 1 but still we are not losing that battle by double digits like last year and if you can stay that close to your opponent in any game you will win more than lose. Offensively, we shot over 50% from the field and 43% from the 3 - I will take that any day, we had 12 TOs and if you can do that consistently we will be fine, 66% from the FT line - close but not good enough - we have to avg 70% and yes I know it was close to that but a 70% for the game would mean we would have scored 8 more pts and in a close games that will make the difference between a loss and a win. A better student crowd but not good enough - did some go home for Fall Break? Jolly surprised even his supporters, AG looked more comfortable, and RA - well he is a toss up every game, he can make a good play and then 2 clunkers next. Miles handled the ball well and Bartley looked better tonight. Ash could not sink a FT to save his soul - he has to be better. MY seems to have found his role and JC seems to have finally understood what he does best. Overall, I will take the win and hope we see incremental improvement as the season goes on.

Can we talk Jolly?

I'll give the kid props. I admit that I when we weren't playing particularly well in the first half and Jolly was sent into the game, I sarcastically said "Never fear. Brett Jolly's coming into the game now." Shortly thereafter, Jolly scored on that nice hook shot, also had that fadeaway bucket. I think he also made some free throws and had 1 or 2 nice passes as well. I'll take that kind of performance on a regular basis from him.

As I posted after either the Hartford or SIUE game, this team has stretches where they look pretty good, but also stretches where it looks like this will be a long season. That remains the deal with this bunch. Fortunately, they have shown the ability to play well late in games. My concern is that against better teams, the bad stretches will put us in a hole we can't get out of. I think we'll find out how this team does against better competition in the next week.

Props to Crews' staff for making changes to their initial game plan. We were getting killed on the ball screens and pick and roll's in the first half. Gillmann/Neufeld etc. couldn't cover and recover fast enough, allowing their 3 shooters open looks. In the second half Crews basically went small and was much more successful in covering the pick and roll.