GDT - SIUe

billikenbill

Crawford played 30 last night, and sat out about 5 in both halves. He played a lot in the second half. Don't see that as a problem. I too liked Milik bringing the ball up the floor. I wouldn't do it against a press, but last night it was the right thing to do.

It is not the total minutes Crawford played but thespecific time he sat down. At the end of the game you always have your best FT shooters in and Milik is not that guy. The game was not out of reach by then so I do think it mattered. I have no problem with Milik bringing the ball up at times but not at the end of the game when the other team is fouling.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ash shot the ball well from 3 in HS and his 3-point percentage was probably his strongest stat in limited minutes at Villanova. He was billed as a slasher and shooter. I don't know where his shot went, but he's supposed to have it because he could do it before.

It just doesn't appear to be there anymore and probably should be phased out altogether if he's going to shoot it at a 20% clip. It isn't worth it when he can blow by guys and do some other things and we have other players who can knock it down. Maybe it makes him easier to guard if guys can cheat back from the perimeter on him, but I'll take that over almost-guaranteed misses from 3.

Ash shot the ball well from 3 in HS and his 3-point percentage was probably his strongest stat in limited minutes at Villanova. He was billed as a slasher and shooter. I don't know where his shot went, but he's supposed to have it because he could do it before.

It just doesn't appear to be there anymore and probably should be phased out altogether if he's going to shoot it at a 20% clip. It isn't worth it when he can blow by guys and do some other things and we have other players who can knock it down. Maybe it makes him easier to guard if guys can cheat back from the perimeter on him, but I'll take that over almost-guaranteed misses from 3.

It's hanging out with Dwayne Polk's shot.

That was my point. When Ash is having so much success scoring in the paint and utilizing his strength and athleticism he is essentially letting the defense off of the hook by shooting 3s at this point when his shot from distance is clearly off. I am not saying he should never attempt a 3 (although I think you could make that argument), but I do think he needs to realize that at this point that is a low percentage shot (0 for 6 on the season and 23% last season) compared to him going to the basket or posting up where he is making a high percentage and also drawing fouls. Again, I am very pleased with how he is playing, so this is just a nitpick.

It's hanging out with Dwayne Polk's shot.

Ha. I thought about mentioning him but worried my references are becoming dated. Polk was a good perimeter shooter in HS, and just lost it in college. So weird. He wasn't the right fit for Soderberg's system but that shouldn't have impacted his perimeter shot the way it did.

I know some people are saying how Neufeld may be a year away, but so far he has only played 14 total minites. Fouls limited him last game. Unlike most freshman bigs, Neufeld has the size to contend in the paint. I think once he gets accustomed to the pace of D1, figures out how to play solid D without fouling, he will be a huge asset. Could be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if he comes up huge for us in a few conference games.

-while he only has two I looked at SLU's freshmen records for blocks...

Melvin Robinson with 51

Willie 40

Baniak, Remeken and Jon Smiff with 32

Darryl Anderson 31

DE - 22

RL - 20

TL3-18

Brian Smith (who I don't remember) 15

Brett Thompson - 16 from an oil rig in the gulf

-while he only has two I looked at SLU's freshmen records for blocks...

Melvin Robinson with 51

Willie 40

Baniak, Remeken and Jon Smiff with 32

Darryl Anderson 31

DE - 22

RL - 20

TL3-18

Brian Smith (who I don't remember) 15

Brett Thompson - 16 from an oil rig in the gulf

Brian Smith was part of the Clagget/Highmark class. He left after his freshman year.

Ha. I thought about mentioning him but worried my references are becoming dated. Polk was a good perimeter shooter in HS, and just lost it in college. So weird. He wasn't the right fit for Soderberg's system but that shouldn't have impacted his perimeter shot the way it did.

Kind of a random comment, but I watched the Periscope session of Crews' press conference and after Crews was done, they brought the phone doing the recording back on the court so the media could interview a few of the players. They get out to the court, and who is out there talking to the players but Dwayne Polk. Had no idea that be was keeping up any involvement with the program.

They get out to the court, and who is out there talking to the players but Dwayne Polk. Had no idea that be was keeping up any involvement with the program.

It looked like he was sitting in the front row behind the SIUE bench wearing a blue SLU pullover. I know Polk was friends with Danny Brown, so maybe that keeps him around the program more than some other players from that era who don't seem to have much of a connection or desire to be around.

Kind of a random comment, but I watched the Periscope session of Crews' press conference and after Crews was done, they brought the phone doing the recording back on the court so the media could interview a few of the players. They get out to the court, and who is out there talking to the players but Dwayne Polk. Had no idea that be was keeping up any involvement with the program.

Gross.

I take back my ranting on Larry. Polk was fired from a HS counseling job because of innaproriate contact between himself and students.

Get Polk outta there. Let Larry stay.