GDT Thread - SLU vs. UM-SL

billikenbill

Who starts tonight? My guess is:

PG - DR

SG - AY

SF - AG, replacing Elliott "The Beast" Welmer

PG - MY

C - MN

AY would not start based on his play in The Bahamas, but I can't see him not getting the opportunity tonight.

Be interesting to see the minutes for MB, MR, and Bishop in the backcourt, and how much run Jolly gets, as in my opinion, he's the weakest of the frontcourt reserves.

If AG starts, how do the minutes break down with MC spelling him, and who plays the 5 when MN needs a rest.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who starts tonight? My guess is:

PG - DR

SG - AY

SF - AG, replacing Elliott "The Beast" Welmer

PG - MY

C - MN

AY would not start based on his play in The Bahamas, but I can't see him not getting the opportunity tonight.

Be interesting to see the minutes for MB, MR, and Bishop in the backcourt, and how much run Jolly gets, as in my opinion, he's the weakest of the frontcourt reserves.

If AG starts, how do the minutes break down with MC spelling him, and who plays the 5 when MN needs a rest.

Why do you think Gillmann will play the 3?

If you're going to use Roby at point and Yacoubou at the 2, it would make sense to get Crawford in there as well. I don't really expect to see that as a starting lineup, but I could see that trio getting some time together over the course of the season.

I would guess Gillmann will be competing with Agbeko for starts. Unless Crews totally loses faith in Yacoubou, I would expect Crawford to come off the bench again this year. The more you look at it, it's just a really odd roster.

Why do you think Gillmann will play the 3?

Without Welmer, and with MY and MN likely starters at the 4 and 5, seemed like AG was next up to start at the 3. Welmer was starting at the 3 in The Bahamas. I guess the other options would be to go with MC or AY at the 3 and start Bishop or Bartley at the point, w/ DR at the 2.

Without Welmer, and with MY and MN likely starters at the 4 and 5, seemed like AG was next up to start at the 3. Welmer was starting at the 3 in The Bahamas. I guess the other options would be to go with MC or AY at the 3 and start Bishop or Bartley at the point, w/ DR at the 2.

[/quote

No way Gillman can guard on the perimeter.

(The T in GDT stands for Thread.)

Anyway, bummed this isn't on the radio tonight. I will be at a charity event for a few hours after work and probably will miss the first half but was hoping to listen to the second. I'll check here for updates.

Not worried about the starting lineup. "Starting is for high school." We will still be figuring things out for the early part of this season - and possibly the whole thing, who knows. Minutes are going to be interesting, though, with the logjam at the wing.

I'd hope Bartley and Bishop and Reynolds don't need any help at the PG spot against UMSL.

Gillmann has no reason to be anything but a big tonight, although I don't mind him stretching things out as needed.

Yarbrough can play big tonight, too.

Under Majerus, we grew accustomed to the 1 and the 2 being interchangeable. That's often true for teams who play small guards. For teams who play big guards, it's normally the 2 and the 3 who are interchangeable. See Dayton or VCU for examples in our conference.

I think Bartley can slide over a play a shooting guard role as necessary, but Roby is best served on the wing (whether a 2 or 3) where he can slash to the basket and rebound a little.

Stupid question but is tonight's game free? Noticed my season tickets didn't include tickets for tonight. So is it free or do even season ticket holders have to purchase?

There were tickets for tonight in my season ticket package. There was one year I forgot my tix at home, and the box office got me in. Wouldn't suggest that for a marquee matchup; but I think you'll be safe for tonight.

Stupid question but is tonight's game free? Noticed my season tickets didn't include tickets for tonight. So is it free or do even season ticket holders have to purchase?

Did you get a nicely printed spiral-bound book of tickets? They're set up so it's easy to tear them off one at a time (which isn't intuitive until the first time you tear it off.) I think the UMSL tix were either upper right or lower right on the first page.

From looking at UM-SL's roster and reviewing last year stats, I'd say they're at least as good as the PJ Stingers. Don't have a good feeling about this one and won't the rest of the year with Elliott "The Beast" Welmer unavailable.

Anyone know if this game is being streamed anywhere? I recall the game against harris stowe being streamed on slubillikens.com last year.

For some reason, unlike the Harris-Stowe game, it's not being streamed. I guess that's the difference between coming off three straight NCAA bids and going 11-21 while cellar dwelling.