Brian Conklin Elbow- Dirty Play?

Billfan78

• 1 month later...

After reading the article on JJ, I was curious as to why BC left the team. I hadn't seen this thread until now. This is what Wiki has to say about it:

2015–16 season

On July 15, 2015, Conklin re-signed with the Townsville Crocodiles for the 2015–16 NBL season.[15] On November 4, 2015, Conklin was involved in an ugly on-court incident involving Perth Wildcats guard Damian Martin, where during the fourth quarter of the Crocodiles' 89–77 win over the Wildcats, Conklin's errant elbow collided with Martin's jaw, breaking it.[16] Two days later, Australian basketball legend, Andrew Gaze, called out for the NBL to suspend Conklin for six weeks.[17] Ultimately, Conklin was cleared of any wrongdoing by the NBL.[18] Just ten days after the Martin encounter, Conklin was in the spotlight again for another elbow incident, this time for striking Adelaide 36ers forward Mitch Creek in a similar manner. He subsequently received a three-match suspension with two of those games suspended for the rest of the season.[19] On a lighter note, in that game against the 36ers, Conklin scored 21 points and a career-high 12 rebounds.[20]

The Crocodiles completed Round 8 with a 4–10 win/loss record, leading to the club re-considering its future and personnel. Consequently, on November 30, Conklin was released by the club.[21] In 13 games for the Crocodiles in 2015–16, he averaged 13.5 points, 6.6 rebounds and 1.6 assists per game.

Really sad to read this. I always hoped for the best for BC & his MVP last year was a good sign. Hopefully he can come back from all this.

"There are no outside factors or reasons behind this decision we simply want to give this club the best chance of being successful in the competition."

So the most effective way to do that is by cutting your best player/face of the franchise? I'm not buying that. It's a punitive measure because of the physical incidents. You don't "get better" by removing your best player and leaving the rest to fend for themselves.

• 3 weeks later...

Happened to see this today. Page translated by Google - sorry if it's not the best. Here's the original link if you have a different translator -

http://elvocero.com/piratas-firman-a-conklin/

Pirates sign Conklin
The Australian striker played last season with the Santurce Crabbers
Conklin.jpg

By José Bartolomei, the spokesman -01/13/20165:09 pm

Quebradillas Pirates announced the signing of Australia striker Brian Conklin as the first player concerned for the 2016 season of the National Superior Basketball (BSN).

Conklin played last season with the Santurce Crabbers with whom he averaged 11.5 points and 5.4 rebounds per game.

"Conklin is a player who can play small forward and forward. Is very active against the basket and makes good curtains "said Gaby Miranda, general manager of quebradillano whole.

According to Miranda, the Pirates needed a player of such qualities, to produce "other things" because they do not have to worry so much on offense to have canasteros Christian Dalmau and Larry Ayuso, Richard Chaney and the same Jorge Brian Diaz, who can undertake the offensive.

"Conklin was the leader like Richie Dalmau. Play as a team and has many other facets, "said Miranda.

This means that management knew Pirates barajeaba few days ago the name of John Lucas III, like his other reinforcement, although the possibility that the American player to sign with a team in the D-League, were quite high.

"We continue to analyze 'combo guards' and possible EU players," he said.

Pirates started training on Monday January 18. Conklin is expected to Quebradillas report in mid-February and the preparatory tournament play.

Prior to joining the Crabbers in 2015, Conklin had been awarded as MVP of the Professional Basketball League of Australia to Townsville Crocodiles.

After finishing his commitment to Cangrejeros striker returned to the Australian league for the 2015-16 season with the same team, with whom he recorded 13.5 points, 6.6 rebounds and 1.6 assists in 13 played games.

Striker and froward are pretty interchangeable in soccer. so my guess is in other cultures where soccer is king, they are interchangeable in basketball.

I'm guessing it was just another attempt at translational approximation by Google.

(If you're ever bored and want to have some fun, use the Google translator to translate something from English into another language and then back again. :) )

• 4 weeks later...

Conklin sort of seems like a Mike Matheny type. By this I mean a guy who has no head coaching experience, but you just kind of look at him and say "He'd make a great coach." I think we should throw his name in the mix. He can get paid a lot more than he gets for playing, let's say starting salary of $500,000.00. At this point, he would have low expectations for the next two years. Sounds crazy, but why not.

Conklin sort of seems like a Mike Matheny type. By this I mean a guy who has no head coaching experience, but you just kind of look at him and say "He'd make a great coach." I think we should throw his name in the mix. He can get paid a lot more than he gets for playing, let's say starting salary of $500,000.00. At this point, he would have low expectations for the next two years. Sounds crazy, but why not.

No

Director of Basketball Ops