JC Hot Seat

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many schools at the A-10 level or lower are willing to eat the last two years of a contract? Not many.

Probably not many, but a bold decision would have to probably come from Doc Chaifetz or other big boosters. Think back to when Sodie was dumped for RM. The decision was not made by the AD.

Probably not many, but a bold decision would have to probably come from Doc Chaifetz or other big boosters. Think back to when Sodie was dumped for RM. The decision was not made by the AD.

The decision was not made by Levick because she wanted to keep Soderberg. That disagreement ultimately got her pushed out. The buy out for Soderberg was very reasonable. If May did not put something like that in the contract to Crews then I agree that he needs to be taken to the woodshed.

If we have another terrible season, how many recruits will give a ###### how many years Crews has on his contract?

I don't think Crews is going to have another terrible season. Others, probably half of the board, think otherwise. I think Neufeld is the key to us playing 5 on 5 this season. If he can give us around 6 and 5 and Gillman can give us around 5 and 3 as the backup, I believe we're on the road to recovery. We got virtually no production from the center position last year.

Their parents, who are often a part of the decision-making process, care. If my kid is going to play for a coach, I want to be reasonably confident that the coach will be there.

As Brian points out, unless a head coach just inks a 5 year extension (and actually abides by his contract instead of opting for a better program/NBA), are not most coaches out there recruiting with anywhere from 1 to 4 years left on their contracts? Sure, if a coach is in the final year of his contract (and also not winning as much as expected), then the coach's contract status can definitely be a factor or concern and you and KShoe correctly point out... but I am not aware of any program extending their coach's contract each year to always make sure there are 4 years left on the contract for recruiting purposes.

I never bought the line that coaches have to have a long contract to help on the recruiting trail. Coaches like to say it because it puts more money in their pockets.

The key in recruiting is convincing the player that you are going to win and that the player is going to be an important part of your team winning. If the player is convinced you are going to win he could care less how many years are on your contract. Winning coaches don't get fired.

This.

Every year coaches get fired or leave for better positions. Very few today are cold stone locks to be there for a kid's full 4 years; Calipari, Pitino, Coach K, Self, Williams come to mind. The coaching carousel today is usually filled to capacity and kids, and their parents, know it. Hence, we have such a high transfer rate these days. We live in a society that demands almost instant gratification. So, to say I'm wrong on how long Crews contract should have been was not going to hurt our recruiting. Crews, prior to taking over Rick's team, had nothing on his resume that warranted either the length or wealth of his current deal. May should have been shrewder in his negotiations. He could have put an extension/performance option in there. If Crews objected to that, then you know you have the wrong guy. I have no idea, nor do I think anyone else on here does, what area the specifics of his deal in regards to performance and a buyout.

As Brian points out, unless a head coach just inks a 5 year extension (and actually abides by his contract instead of opting for a better program/NBA), are not most coaches out there recruiting with anywhere from 1 to 4 years left on their contracts?

The only coaches in the A-10 with less than 4 years left on their contract are Crews, Jim Ferry (25 games below .500 over three seasons at Duquesne) and Phil Martelli, whose 8 year contract ends after next season. Crews' 5 year deal is one of the shortest in the A-10. If he doesn't get renewed at the end of this year, that's essentially a vote of no confidence.

The good thing about an above .500 record this season is that it would mean we're on the road to recovery. The bad thing would be the message board meltdown if Crews gets a 2 year extension. But I'm used to it by now.

-I had to refresh my memory....from STLPD April 13, 2013 (which was not a Friday the 13th).....Terms of the contract were not announced, but sources indicated it was a five-year deal. Athletics director Chris May described it as “a long-term deal. A long-term deal we feel really good about.”

I don't know jack about Crew's deal and neither do you '72. To say "May should've been shrewder in his negotiations" is ridiculous, since you have no idea what's in the contract.

I'm with 3-Star, in that I don't think this year will be horrible although I don't know whether I consider Neufeld the key. I think that the transition of our freshmen guards into sophomores will be more key. All of those freshmen made Crews look like an ass last year. This year he'll look like a mid level A10 Coach. Next year he'll be brilliant again. Then.....senior guards baby......senior guards.......we'll be worried about losing Crews to Indiana or Purdue or somewhere.....

-I had to refresh my memory....from STLPD April 13, 2013 (which was not a Friday the 13th).....Terms of the contract were not announced, but sources indicated it was a five-year deal. Athletics director Chris May described it as “a long-term deal. A long-term deal we feel really good about.”

I think we would want to know his base salary in terms of what buying him out would cost us. The amount that we see reported is total compensation and likely not what we would owe him if we fired him in April. I really can't imagine we would owe him close to $1 million per year if we fired him.

I think we would want to know his base salary in terms of what buying him out would cost us. The amount that we see reported is total compensation and likely not what we would owe him if we fired him in April. I really can't imagine we would owe him close to $1 million per year if we fired him.

Yeah, I'm also curious - especially because I'm not as optimistic about 3Star, Rich, or kshoe about our chances of being decent this year.

The only coaches in the A-10 with less than 4 years left on their contract are Crews, Jim Ferry (25 games below .500 over three seasons at Duquesne) and Phil Martelli, whose 8 year contract ends after next season. Crews' 5 year deal is one of the shortest in the A-10. If he doesn't get renewed at the end of this year, that's essentially a vote of no confidence.

The good thing about an above .500 record this season is that it would mean we're on the road to recovery. The bad thing would be the message board meltdown if Crews gets a 2 year extension. But I'm used to it by now.

Wait a second. Crews apparently got a 5 year contract in April of 2013 so 2013 to 2014 was his first year, last year of 2014-2015 was his second year and now this is his third year. After this year, he will have 2 full years left on his contract. After last year's season and depending upon this year's season, I would not be so quick to extend his contract. And I disagree that not renewing a contract with 2 years left is "essentially a vote of no confidence." Maybe not renewing with one (1) year left but not two (2).

And as for the other coaches in the A10, I don't really know but would suggest that there has been alot of coaching turnover (VCU, and Fordam come to mind and UD greatly increased the length of Archie Miller after their recent NCAA run to the Elite 8) so I am not suprised. As to St. Joe, I believe many have wanted Martelli gone -- and if he has only 1 year left, I believe that will be his last.

Wait a second. Crews apparently got a 5 year contract in April of 2013 so 2013 to 2014 was his first year, last year of 2014-2015 was his second year and now this is his third year. After this year, he will have 2 full years left on his contract. After last year's season and depending upon this year's season, I would not be so quick to extend his contract. And I disagree that not renewing a contract with 2 years left is "essentially a vote of no confidence." Maybe not renewing with one (1) year left but not two (2).

And as for the other coaches in the A10, I don't really know but would suggest that there has been alot of coaching turnover (VCU, and Fordam come to mind and UD greatly increased the length of Archie Miller after their recent NCAA run to the Elite 8) so I am not suprised. As to St. Joe, I believe many have wanted Martelli gone -- and if he has only 1 year left, I believe that will be his last.

Don't take my word for it, CT, Google for yourself. It's standard operating procedure in the A-10 to renew with at least 2 years left on the contract. Unless you intend to let them go, as occurred with Paul Hewitt (George Mason) and Tom Pecora (Fordham) this year. And I agree that Martelli is gone after this year, for the same reason.

Don't take my word for it, CT, Google for yourself. It's standard operating procedure in the A-10 to renew with at least 2 years left on the contract. Unless you intend to let them go, as occurred with Paul Hewitt (George Mason) and Tom Pecora (Fordham) this year. And I agree Martelli that is gone after this year, for the same reason.

Assuming we have a great year this year (and I believe we have the talent and appear to have the chemistry to make a big jump from last year), then Crews earns an extension. Another sub .500 (or even a .500 or slightly higher record) season for me would indicate that he has not earned an extension but I do not have him on a hot seat this year. For the most part, I would bring Crews make next year. Now, depending on how we do this year, Crews might be on the hot seat next year. Therefore, I disagree with the timing of this thread. And if we don't have a great season this year and if we don't renew his contract after year with 2 years left, and if that is viewed by many as a vote of no confidence, then so be it.

I agree with CT...don't believe Crews is on the hot seat yet. Curious about others' expectations heading into this season. I am expecting around 15 wins this season. Anything north of 20 wins to me would be a great season and I would not question Crews receiving an extension.

I agree with CT...don't believe Crews is on the hot seat yet. Curious about others' expectations heading into this season. I am expecting around 15 wins this season. Anything north of 20 wins to me would be a great season and I would not question Crews receiving an extension.

-going by history the schedule will be released in less than 3 weeks and the prognostication/prediction thread will be hot, pun intended

If we only win 15 games, then I would say the season was not good. I think we need to shoot for 18 wins at a minimum in order to say the season was okay. These days 20 wins is not what it used to be. (depending on strength of schedule of course)

Once again, 15, 18 wins is not the question - it is does this team improve. If they can compete in every game, then the wins will come. Last year they could not compete consistently that is why they only won 12 games. I would like to see them compete against all the teams they play - no blow outs. Blow outs show that progress is not being made. I am not sure how many years Crews has left - it seems to me that last year was his first of his 5 years but I could be convinced differently. I said it before and I will say it again - May took the easy way and when you take the easy way and it does not work out you find yourself in a bigger mess than if you had taken a more difficult route. I hope for the program's sake that Crews is successful - that is all I care about, the long term success of the program. I am still curious to learn how season tix sales are going - I have a feeling that we are going to be entering Sodie territory.