JC Hot Seat

True, Rick met with SMU and was probably offered a significant increase in pay and more overall support from SMU. But didn't he direct them towards Brown. It was well known Biondi was reneging on some of his promises to Rick, re air travel and recruiting budget. So, if he did indeed feel up to continuing his career, why didn't he jump at the SMU job? Loyalty to his players? Maybe. But more likely he was concerned about his health.

All of the above is supeculation on my part. But it makes sense that his health would have been his top priority.

By the way, I think this thread is off target. A better thread or subject for discussion would have been to pose the question of what will our new Admin do if this season tuns out to be another shipwreck. While Crews is the main man, he's not the master of his domain. That belongs to May and Postello.

IMO, RM knew that he didn't have enough time (5 years plus) to completely start all over again at another school (not just because of his health/heart condition but also because of his advancing age) and that SLU would be his last coaching stop and this is why he didn't move on the SMU job - which really wasn't (and isn't) all that great anyway. As we have seen, RM does things his way -- he doesn't come in and run the prior coach's offense/defense, etc. and slowly change things and that is why he was so frustrated that Fr. Biondi want back on his promises but I don't believe RM thought he would be dead only months later. And if RM was on top of his coaching game against Michigan State, then he would have been on the top of him also the prior Fall when he signed Carter. And I thought (but could be wrong) that Drew was a Spring recruit.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Clock, I do not dispute the fact that you know a lot about a lot of things, but your knowledge of medicine and the effects of heart disease, long term, is pitiful. Heart disease is not on / off, once it is well set in its course the way it leads you is only down. Your physical capacity and stamina are slowly zapped, the blood flow to the brain steadily diminishes overall with more fluctuation and less stability. RM, whom I watched during games, looked at times winded up and ready to drop right there at the Chaifetz. Yes, he survived, but to say that he was at the top of his game is plainly not true, neither physically nor mentally could he have been at the top of his game at the time. I am truly certain that he really gave the job all he had to give, but during his last season as an active coach he was not present during games at times because of his heart condition.

To say this is not a slow death reveals nothing but profound ignorance of the disease process and its natural progression. What we saw at the Chaifetz was a sick man in various degrees of control. Sometimes better sometimes pretty poor. This is not a curable condition, it is a progressive disease or set of diseases that affects a lot of organs and functions, not only the heart.

People with chronic disease do not die because they are fine and someday God decides to turn off the switch, nope. They die because they deteriorate slowly. They lose functional reserve in any number of organ systems in a steady basis, and at the end they are so lacking in reserve capacity that they just fail and die. RM was NOT well, he was not healthy in any way and he slowly deteriorated until his end. This has nothing to do with his coaching duties, which he discharged to the best of his considerable abilities, it had everything to do with his sick and deteriorating inside systems.

And the answer to your question about Salesich and the others is yes, he was sick and in an earlier stage of deterioration at the time. He got much worse as time passed. RM made any number of mistakes because he was (as we all are) human, not because of his heart disease. What the heart disease did to him was to make it a lot harder for him to do things, and this includes thinking.

Agree that Crews deserves a bit of a pass for the junior class. Crawford is a better player than I thought, RA not as good, but some of that could be injury-related. TL was a bust, but he seemed like a quality recruit at the time.

But the sophomore class, while I understand the final chapter of their careers has not been written yet, I don't think is as good as it should have been coming off of a successful three-year run. Not landing a true PG was also a mistake and I also question the wisdom of 6-players in the same class... a juco or quality transfer would have made more sense to me.

Ace.

I tend to agree with most of what you say. Crews gets ALOT of credit from me for signing Crawford because he did so in the Fall while the Interim coach (and I would give Crews a pass if Crawford were a bust but he has actually turned out to be our best of the 3 from that year!!) but I cannot give Crews a pass for misjudging/mis-using/not teaching TL (a bust) and RA remains an enigma for the reason that Crews was not only named the permanent coach by then but that he had done a great job with RM's players, made the NCAA Tourney a second time and was named National Coach of the Year with his entire Junior Class (RL, DE, MM, JJ and JB) returning for their Senior year.

Also, I cannot give Crews a pass for mis-evaluating McBroom who had redshirted and practiced with Crews for the entire year -- McBroom was the primary reason that Crews did not recruit a true PG in his first full class of 6 players (Roby, Reynolds, etc.). Also, I cannot give Crews a pass for Ash who remains an under achieving enigma (he played OK last year but not the player we expected or needed) or for not better handling our veterans, Glaze and Manning. If they were the knuckleheads I am told they were, then Crews knew this during the year he coached as our Interim Coach and could have let them go or done things differently.

My point: Crews did alot to get himself/our program off to the slow/bad start we did last year - a truly horrible year - deserves the blame that Taj suggests. At the same time, while Crews would not have been my choice to replace RM, Crews has impressed me with both last year's Freshmen (6 D1 players) and this year's Freshmen (we filled big holes at Center (Neufeld), PG (Bishop) and Welmer looks like he can play), by letting go the guys he did -- Glaze, McBroom and Tanner and by making adjustments -- trying a new offense and players. No hot seat from me but this is the year for better results -- the team is all Jim Crews.

Clock, I do not dispute the fact that you know a lot about a lot of things, but your knowledge of medicine and the effects of heart disease, long term, is pitiful. Heart disease is not on / off, once it is well set in its course the way it leads you is only down. Your physical capacity and stamina are slowly zapped, the blood flow to the brain steadily diminishes overall with more fluctuation and less stability. RM, whom I watched during games, looked at times winded up and ready to drop right there at the Chaifetz. Yes, he survived, but to say that he was at the top of his game is plainly not true, neither physically nor mentally could he have been at the top of his game at the time. I am truly certain that he really gave the job all he had to give, but during his last season as an active coach he was not present during games at times because of his heart condition.

To say this is not a slow death reveals nothing but profound ignorance of the disease process and its natural progression. What we saw at the Chaifetz was a sick man in various degrees of control. Sometimes better sometimes pretty poor. This is not a curable condition, it is a progressive disease or set of diseases that affects a lot of organs and functions, not only the heart.

People with chronic disease do not die because they are fine and someday God decides to turn off the switch, nope. They die because they deteriorate slowly. They lose functional reserve in any number of organ systems in a steady basis, and at the end they are so lacking in reserve capacity that they just fail and die. RM was NOT well, he was not healthy in any way and he slowly deteriorated until his end. This has nothing to do with his coaching duties, which he discharged to the best of his considerable abilities, it had everything to do with his sick and deteriorating inside systems.

And the answer to your question about Salesich and the others is yes, he was sick and in an earlier stage of deterioration at the time. He got much worse as time passed. RM made any number of mistakes because he was (as we all are) human, not because of his heart disease. What the heart disease did to him was to make it a lot harder for him to do things, and this includes thinking.

Exactly.

And as he unfortunately worsened, top recruits were worried that Majerus would not last the 4 years should they sign on the dotted line.

The result was, last year: no real senior or junior leadership, and according to one source the 6th youngest team in D-1.

And, for the last time, Crews first true recruiting class was last year's 6 freshmen, period. You cannot recruit in full force as in interim coach and/or at the last 2 months of the spring for the fall semester "please commit to 4 years at SLU, we do not know if I will be the coach, though...".

Exactly.

And as he unfortunately worsened, top recruits were worried that Majerus would not last the 4 years should they sign on the dotted line.

The result was, last year: no real senior or junior leadership, and according to one source the 6th youngest team in D-1.

And, for the last time, Crews first true recruiting class was last year's 6 freshmen, period. You cannot recruit in full force as in interim coach and/or at the last 2 months of the spring for the fall semester "please commit to 4 years at SLU, we do not know if I will be the coach, though...".

Old Guy and MB73

For every simple question, there is simple answer, which is wrong. In short, there was alot more at play regarding RM, his recruiting and the team he left for Crews to take over than RM's heart condition.

October 2010, SLU suspended Willie Reed and Kwamaine Mitchell for their involvement in the Situation. The team went 12-19 in RM's 4th year (which should have been their breakout year and first trip to the NCAA). Other that us "die hards" who had faith in RM, the average/casual fan questioned if RM could still coach/run a high level program, if the game had passed him by, if he could win at SLU, etc. During this same time, Fr. Biondi further angers RM by canceling the chartered flights, etc. and RM, in response, refuses to do his radio show in January 2010 and rumors swirl that RM is leaving SLU for DePaul and/or other programs. Here's a link: The RM relationship with Fr. Biondi does not get repaired and RM loses lead recruiter Porter Moser and then Alex Jansen before the start of the next year. In the depth of all this, SLU lands John Manning in the Fall and Grandy Glaze and Emmanuel Tselestakus. Attached is an article from Andy Katz documenting how RM weathered this storm and has the program heading back in the right direction. http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/7268975/rick-majerus-likes-sees-saint-louis-billikens-college-basketball. For those wondering why we were such a young team last year, the articles sure do not mention RM's failing health as reasons why RM may not still be at SLU 4 years later for young recruits and why top recruits might not be committing to SLU.

In his last year coaching, 2011 - 2012, RM had his best year, made the NCAA Tourney and nearly beat Michigan State. That year, RM was now without Porter and Jensen having replaced them with Whitesell and Crews. Coincidentally, we start landing kids from Indiana such as Drew (Crews) and another kid from Chicago in Carter (Whitesell). This was also RM's 5th year at SLU, he had turned around the program, offers were coming in from other programs, fans of SLU now were solidly behind RM and yet the relationship with Fr. Biondi was still sour and there was real doubt if RM could continue coaching (again, not because of his poor health) or not. Many thought RM would finish what might have been the last year of his contract and not return. If that is the case, this explains why RM did not let Glaze and/or Manning go. During this time we also bring in McBroom.

Nonetheless, RM left the cupboards full with a Junior and Senior loaded class for 2012-2013 (Crews takes us to the NCAA Tourney again) and again the following year 2013-2014. Again, read my prior posts whereby Crews made several mistakes in 1) misjudging McBroom and the PG position, 2) not purging some of the knuckleheads a year sooner, 3) landing TL (a bust) and RA (an enigma and long term project when a quick fix was needed) following our 2nd NCAA Tourney run and his National COY status. Since then, Crews has shown signs that he is making the proper adjustments and I am hopeful and supportive.

Clock:

Technically, I agree with most of your version.

But I doubt espn would mention RM's health in that spot no matter what they knew. Was that article before or after RM bled openly on the court after being cut, then missed several games? Come on.

And no way we can look at Crews signing of TL and RA as anything other than last minute Hail Marys. Risks. They do not count as his recruits. No way. His recruits commenced with last year's 6 freshmen.

Yes, he might have purged one or two of the bad apples sooner, but we do not know the extent of the damage, the details, the timing, and in this day and age it is so difficult to "fire" someone. If he pushed a player or two out mid season it could cause some ugly publicity if the players made (false) counterclaims.

I support Crews, I think he is solid, I understand he was offered 3 top notch Big 10 head coach jobs when he was at Evansville, he is as good as we will likely get.

But sure, I worry about last year and even our poor showing in The Bahamas, and I wonder if he will turn things around this year (20 wins?) and the next (NCAA?) especially.

We shall see.

Old Guy and MB73

For every simple question, there is simple answer, which is wrong. In short, there was alot more at play regarding RM, his recruiting and the team he left for Crews to take over than RM's heart condition.

October 2010, SLU suspended Willie Reed and Kwamaine Mitchell for their involvement in the Situation. The team went 12-19 in RM's 4th year (which should have been their breakout year and first trip to the NCAA). Other that us "die hards" who had faith in RM, the average/casual fan questioned if RM could still coach/run a high level program, if the game had passed him by, if he could win at SLU, etc. During this same time, Fr. Biondi further angers RM by canceling the chartered flights, etc. and RM, in response, refuses to do his radio show in January 2010 and rumors swirl that RM is leaving SLU for DePaul and/or other programs. Here's a link: The RM relationship with Fr. Biondi does not get repaired and RM loses lead recruiter Porter Moser and then Alex Jansen before the start of the next year. In the depth of all this, SLU lands John Manning in the Fall and Grandy Glaze and Emmanuel Tselestakus. Attached is an article from Andy Katz documenting how RM weathered this storm and has the program heading back in the right direction. http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/7268975/rick-majerus-likes-sees-saint-louis-billikens-college-basketball. For those wondering why we were such a young team last year, the articles sure do not mention RM's failing health as reasons why RM may not still be at SLU 4 years later for young recruits and why top recruits might not be committing to SLU.

In his last year coaching, 2011 - 2012, RM had his best year, made the NCAA Tourney and nearly beat Michigan State. That year, RM was now without Porter and Jensen having replaced them with Whitesell and Crews. Coincidentally, we start landing kids from Indiana such as Drew (Crews) and another kid from Chicago in Carter (Whitesell). This was also RM's 5th year at SLU, he had turned around the program, offers were coming in from other programs, fans of SLU now were solidly behind RM and yet the relationship with Fr. Biondi was still sour and there was real doubt if RM could continue coaching (again, not because of his poor health) or not. Many thought RM would finish what might have been the last year of his contract and not return. If that is the case, this explains why RM did not let Glaze and/or Manning go. During this time we also bring in McBroom.

Nonetheless, RM left the cupboards full with a Junior and Senior loaded class for 2012-2013 (Crews takes us to the NCAA Tourney again) and again the following year 2013-2014. Again, read my prior posts whereby Crews made several mistakes in 1) misjudging McBroom and the PG position, 2) not purging some of the knuckleheads a year sooner, 3) landing TL (a bust) and RA (an enigma and long term project when a quick fix was needed) following our 2nd NCAA Tourney run and his National COY status. Since then, Crews has shown signs that he is making the proper adjustments and I am hopeful and supportive.

Majerus had already been recruiting Indiana for years. In fact, he brought in Justin Jordan from Fort Wayne a few years earlier. And he was recruiting Drew before Crews was ever hired. Drew signed an LOI in Fall of 2011. Crews was hired in October.

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=20823

MB: Crews turned down three Big Ten jobs to remain at Evansville? Evansville, right? Then he "upgraded" to West Point? Wow! I can understand that in only one scenario ---- none of the three Big Ten jobs were Indiana and he wanted to return home and take over his alma mater like Romar did. Or maybe a second one --- he and his wife were Indiana born and bred and found Evansville a much better place than State College (vacant twice in his Evansville time frame), Champaign (2), Madison (4), Iowa City (2), Ann Arbor (2 although I can't see him in that mix IU/UM and all), Lansing (1), Chicago (4), and Columbus (2 - see Michigan as well). The Purdue job never opened in his time at Evansville as Keady ran that show.

Crews had four first places finishes with Aces coming in his first 8 years on the job. He was never hotter than after the 1992-93 season when he went to the dance each year after either an MCC or MVC title win. In his 17 years at Evansville he was 83 wins to the plus side of .500 ---- that's about 5 games over .500 per year. He resigned from Evansville citing the need "for a change" to take the Army job. Seven years later, he was fired from West Point amid rumors of physical and verbal abuse of players.

Count me in the camp that thought Crews was not the right hire for this program. But also count me in the camp that believed May had no other choice. This year will either solidify those thoughts or offer a big change in my perspective.

As for a "hot seat," isn't every coach on one.

Yes, he did. I am told Iowa, Michigan, and one other school. He had his reasons. Not all men on this earth take the goober obvious approach that you assume.

I object to someone starting a thread "JC HOT SEAT", sure it is OK to criticize, wonder, second guess, but JC is not in that situation at all.

If the team fails again this year then there is reason for concern, and if it does not turn around in '16-17 then well OK.

But this thread title at this point is not justified at all, it is horsesh*t.

Clock, I really know nothing about the details of RM coming in to work at SLU. I did watch him live during games at the Chaifetz and he did not look healthy to me, not by any stretch of the imagination. As I said, he looked to me by visual inspection only (old MDs do this all the time) like someone that could just drop and be done in several occasions. That said, I do believe he gave SLU his best efforts for as long as he could. But he was sick, there is no question about this.

I cannot comment upon his ability as a coach, all I could see from my ignorant point of view is that he was good (and sick). The rest is history. We cannot get him back, he is gone. We have Crews and I think he deserves support, I do not think that every action taken by Crews has been a failure, and I agree with MB that he was at a disadvantage in recruiting and in coaching the kids he had until he became the head coach. I think our team deserves support, and I am willing to give Crews time and space he needs to prove what he can or cannot do.

All the best

Yes, he did. I am told Iowa, Michigan, and one other school. He had his reasons. Not all men on this earth take the goober obvious approach that you assume.

I object to someone starting a thread "JC HOT SEAT", sure it is OK to criticize, wonder, second guess, but JC is not in that situation at all.

If the team fails again this year then there is reason for concern, and if it does not turn around in '16-17 then well OK.

But this thread title at this point is not justified at all, it is horsesh*t.

Hey what do you think of the thread title, pay no attention to the actually dialogue or situations posed, just focus on the words "hot seat" and let us know how you feel so we can get in line.

Also, the first definition from Google: "Being in the hot seat", an expression for a high-pressure situation in which a great deal of attention and scrutiny is focused on a person or organization.

HOW TERRIBLY OUT OF LINE

Clock:

Technically, I agree with most of your version.

But I doubt espn would mention RM's health in that spot no matter what they knew. Was that article before or after RM bled openly on the court after being cut, then missed several games? Come on.

And no way we can look at Crews signing of TL and RA as anything other than last minute Hail Marys. Risks. They do not count as his recruits. No way. His recruits commenced with last year's 6 freshmen.

Yes, he might have purged one or two of the bad apples sooner, but we do not know the extent of the damage, the details, the timing, and in this day and age it is so difficult to "fire" someone. If he pushed a player or two out mid season it could cause some ugly publicity if the players made (false) counterclaims.

I support Crews, I think he is solid, I understand he was offered 3 top notch Big 10 head coach jobs when he was at Evansville, he is as good as we will likely get.

But sure, I worry about last year and even our poor showing in The Bahamas, and I wonder if he will turn things around this year (20 wins?) and the next (NCAA?) especially.

We shall see.

Had Crews been hired in the Spring from another job, then yes, I would give Crews a complete pass for filling 2 spots that Spring. But Crews had been at SLU as RM's assistant for a year, had been the Interim Coach for the entire year and rode the wave of success started by RM (2nd straight NCAA, A10 Champs, national publicity, National COY, a large pool of candidates to choose from). Two years later, neither TL nor RA have really contributed -- and they both have had a perfect opportunity to come in and succeed after our 5 Seniors graduated. Clearly, Crews had an opportunity -- and blew it -- whether or not you want to call them his first real recruits or not. And if you think he couldn't do it as our Interim Coach -- look at Crawford -- who signed in the Fall before Crews coached the team to success that year and who is the best of the 3 from that year.

And Crews did not need to let any bad apples midseason. Instead, he didn't need to put all his eggs in the McBroom is my PG basket and he should have know better what Manning and Glaze could do (or not do) after the year as RM's assistant.

And also, I do believe that SLU could have done worse than Jim Crews but it also could have done better. With that said, I am impressed that he got rid of TL, AM and GG; that he got us a PG and Center for this year; that he is changing his offense and, of course, I do like most of last year's Frosh.

Agree with Clock with the exception of "he should have known better what Manning and Glaze could do"

Manning (ankle) and Glaze (shoulder) were damaged goods. Rick Pitino probably would have gotten the same outcomes.

Hope the program is on the upswing.

If we don't at least hit the .500 mark this year, would Crews possibly "retire?"

He should be on the hot seat. Last year was pathetic after all of the recent success and I really have no reason for optimism at this point for next year. Will it take 3-4 seasons of sub .500 basketball for people to think we need a new coach? I have higher expectations than that.

We were 3-15 in conference with 2 OT wins. There better be improvement.

He should be on the hot seat. Last year was pathetic after all of the recent success and I really have no reason for optimism at this point for next year. Will it take 3-4 seasons of sub .500 basketball for people to think we need a new coach? I have higher expectations than that.

We were 3-15 in conference with 2 OT wins. There better be improvement.

"But suddenly, a new contender has emerged..."

I always find the "May had no choice but to hire Crews" line of thinking. He had choices - you always have choices. The question is was he willing to be bold or take the easy less troublesome route. He choose the latter and now we find ourselves where we are. I am not saying that had he hired a different coach that we would have been any better off record wise but I am saying we could be better off program wise. I have always said that I was not in the camp of hiring Crews but I also have always said that I would be wiling go give him a chance once he was hired. Last year was hard to swallow even though I was one who said a 500 record would be a reach. What made last year so hard to swallow was that we did not seem to show any consistent improvement. We were getting blown out of games when you thought the team might have started to turn a corner and we never did settle on a rotation that could grow together. Everything seemed so up in the air. Now we are coming into this year - will we have a rotation to grow into a winning team? Will we have an approach that will give us a chance to compete? Will we be able to sign recruits this year that can make us better in the future? I hope for the program's sake that Crews answers these questions on the positive side but I am having my concerns. The question someone raised about would Crews simply retire if things go bad is an interesting one - I guess that is possible but will the money make him stay until the school has to fire him?

It would be hard for a guy in his early 60s to turn his back on nearly a mil in salary. I think May's hands were tied a bit in giving Crews the reins to the program. Media, both local and national, would have come down hard on us after his COY award. Still, you're right it wasn't like someone was holding a gun to his head. It's his job to make sure he hires the best guy available not satisfy the ESPN hoop gurus.

A better deal would have been to offer him a shorter term deal, say 3 years with an option to extend depending upon performance. We knew we'd be starting over in '14-'15, so there was no reason for a 5 year deal. I don't think any of our recruits were interested in how long Crews would be here. I think only Roby and Bartley were kids with other comparable offers.

But this is a moot point now, because SLU could possibly be stuck with Crews for 3 more seasons, as I just can't see them shelling out nearly $2mil to buy him out and then having to pay another $2mil for his replacement. Bottom line, unless he breaks some morals clause, Jim Crews will be SLU's HC thru 2018. There is no hot seat.

It would be hard for a guy in his early 60s to turn his back on nearly a mil in salary. I think May's hands were tied a bit in giving Crews the reins to the program. Media, both local and national, would have come down hard on us after his COY award. Still, you're right it wasn't like someone was holding a gun to his head. It's his job to make sure he hires the best guy available not satisfy the ESPN hoop gurus.

A better deal would have been to offer him a shorter term deal, say 3 years with an option to extend depending upon performance. We knew we'd be starting over in '14-'15, so there was no reason for a 5 year deal. I don't think any of our recruits were interested in how long Crews would be here. I think only Roby and Bartley were kids with other comparable offers.

But this is a moot point now, because SLU could possibly be stuck with Crews for 3 more seasons, as I just can't see them shelling out nearly $2mil to buy him out and then having to pay another $2mil for his replacement. Bottom line, unless he breaks some morals clause, Jim Crews will be SLU's HC thru 2018. There is no hot seat.

This is just wrong 72. Recruits definitely want to know/believe that the coach that is recruiting them will be there for the entirety of their playing time. Giving a 3 year deal would have made recruiting even more difficult.

This is just wrong 72. Recruits definitely want to know/believe that the coach that is recruiting them will be there for the entirety of their playing time. Giving a 3 year deal would have made recruiting even more difficult.

Accepting this premise, a 3-year deal would at least be an excuse for the level of recruiting we've seen since he took over.

I never bought the line that coaches have to have a long contract to help on the recruiting trail. Coaches like to say it because it puts more money in their pockets.

The key in recruiting is convincing the player that you are going to win and that the player is going to be an important part of your team winning. If the player is convinced you are going to win he could care less how many years are on your contract. Winning coaches don't get fired.

I never bought the line that coaches have to have a long contract to help on the recruiting trail. Coaches like to say it because it puts more money in their pockets.

The key in recruiting is convincing the player that you are going to win and that the player is going to be an important part of your team winning. If the player is convinced you are going to win he could care less how many years are on your contract. Winning coaches don't get fired.

Their parents, who are often a part of the decision-making process, care. If my kid is going to play for a coach, I want to be reasonably confident that the coach will be there.

Their parents, who are often a part of the decision-making process, care. If my kid is going to play for a coach, I want to be reasonably confident that the coach will be there.

How does a long term contract make you reasonably sure a coach is going to be there? There are only a few coaches in the game that people can be reasonably confident that will be at the same school five years from now. Hardly any at a program like SLU. More than two thirds of the D1 coaches entering this season have less than 5 years experience at their current program.

How does a long term contract make you reasonably sure a coach is going to be there? There are only a few coaches in the game that people can be reasonably confident that will be at the same school five years from now. Hardly any at a program like SLU. More than two thirds of the D1 coaches entering this season have less than 5 years experience at their current program.

Completely agree.

Is it a fact that we would have to pay Crews that full $1 million per year (I assume that is an all in compensation) and not some sort of lower base salary (I would assume closer to like $300k per) if we fire him? If so, Chris May is a complete idiot for offering Crews that contract.