JC Hot Seat

Question: how long has Crews been at the helm of this program?

Answer: by my count, four years. We all know Majerus' last recruit was Keith Carter. Correct me if I'm wrong. Then we got Jared Drew to close that year out. Drew was from Indiana. Like Crawford. Like Welmer. So isn't he on Crews (and staff)? The next year, Crews is interim coach and we get Lancona, Agbeko and Crawford. Last year was all Crews so he gets Reynolds, Roby, Jolly, Gillmann, Yarbrough and Bartley. This year, it s Neufeld, Welmer and Bishop and we add Hines. So the only non-Crews guy on this roster is Yacoubou,who was quoted as liking SLU after we dismantled Nova in Anaheim (which was a Majerus-produced team).

The point of the answer is all we have is laid at the base of Crews' feet. If he has recruited talent, I don't see it. If he has recruited skill, I don't see it. If he has recruited in order to develop said talent, I don't see that yet either. I am not calling for his head, but the evaluation parameters are set and right now, they don't appear to be promising.

If SLU were to fire Crews that would be completely opposite of their demonstrated modus operandi. The only time they have canned anyone out of the ordinary process was Soderberg with an asterisk placed beside that because of Chaifetz and Majerus. The Bahama trip and games were very hard to fathom because of the competition, unruly play, raged refereeing and 24-second shot clock. I might have even preferred to lose games just so we showed something that resembled a direction we are headed in this year. So I came away with no real clue what to expect. The door is wide open.

Deaux.

Drew was a Majerus recruit.

I don't think you can lay that much at Crews' feet. I think Majerus' untimely death left the cupboard more bare than people like to admit. I give Crews a partial pass for the junior class because he was an interim when he recruited Crawford, while Reggie and Tanner came that spring after he was given the job.

I think the current sophomore class has talent and could turn out to be a very good one, but time will tell on whether Crews can do much with it. We also know very little about the frosh, but first impressions have been pretty good so far.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Taj. Where I disagree is the talent question. I think there is a lot of talent on this team. They just didn't know how to play together. If we have another year like last I'll jump to your side of the ship, but I don't expect that to happen.

If SLU were to fire Crews that would be completely opposite of their demonstrated modus operandi. T

-FrB is gone and DrP is on the scene, of course the Board of Trustees, most if not all proposed by FrB, is still in the mix so I think the world has changed to some extent, i hope we don't have to find out to what extent by having success

Drew was a Majerus recruit.

I don't think you can lay that much at Crews' feet. I think Majerus' untimely death left the cupboard more bare than people like to admit. I give Crews a partial pass for the junior class because he was an interim when he recruited Crawford, while Reggie and Tanner came that spring after he was given the job.

I think the current sophomore class has talent and could turn out to be a very good one, but time will tell on whether Crews can do much with it. We also know very little about the frosh, but first impressions have been pretty good so far.

Agree that Crews deserves a bit of a pass for the junior class. Crawford is a better player than I thought, RA not as good, but some of that could be injury-related. TL was a bust, but he seemed like a quality recruit at the time.

But the sophomore class, while I understand the final chapter of their careers has not been written yet, I don't think is as good as it should have been coming off of a successful three-year run. Not landing a true PG was also a mistake and I also question the wisdom of 6-players in the same class... a juco or quality transfer would have made more sense to me.

I know it has been stated that he is teaching a new offense, but do you guys think he will stick with that? Do you see us running more at all? I think we have the athletes to run, especially since guys like Neufeld and Welmer can get down the floor good for bigs.

Question: how long has Crews been at the helm of this program?

Answer: by my count, four years. We all know Majerus' last recruit was Keith Carter. Correct me if I'm wrong. Then we got Jared Drew to close that year out. Drew was from Indiana. Like Crawford. Like Welmer. So isn't he on Crews (and staff)? The next year, Crews is interim coach and we get Lancona, Agbeko and Crawford. Last year was all Crews so he gets Reynolds, Roby, Jolly, Gillmann, Yarbrough and Bartley. This year, it s Neufeld, Welmer and Bishop and we add Hines. So the only non-Crews guy on this roster is Yacoubou,who was quoted as liking SLU after we dismantled Nova in Anaheim (which was a Majerus-produced team).

The point of the answer is all we have is laid at the base of Crews' feet. If he has recruited talent, I don't see it. If he has recruited skill, I don't see it. If he has recruited in order to develop said talent, I don't see that yet either. I am not calling for his head, but the evaluation parameters are set and right now, they don't appear to be promising.

If SLU were to fire Crews that would be completely opposite of their demonstrated modus operandi. The only time they have canned anyone out of the ordinary process was Soderberg with an asterisk placed beside that because of Chaifetz and Majerus. The Bahama trip and games were very hard to fathom because of the competition, unruly play, raged refereeing and 24-second shot clock. I might have even preferred to lose games just so we showed something that resembled a direction we are headed in this year. So I came away with no real clue what to expect. The door is wide open.

Deaux.

Crews was named Interim head coach on August 24, 2012. By my count that is less than 3 years ago.

He was named head coach on April 12, 2013, some 2.3 years ago.

Buncha jackoffs here, the guy who started thread: especially. Sure constructive criticism is welcome but some of you are an absolute embarrassment.

• Majerus was a great coach, his illness and it's timing left the program with a severe gap in talent, recruits were reluctant to come to a team with that uncertainty
  • Crews first recruiting class was last years freshmen, that is final.
  • Last year things went badly, team chemistry was effected by some bad apples.
  • Last year we had one of the very youngest teams in D-1, no upper class leadership.
  • Last year a good 9 man rotation could not be established, most no one could sustain consistent productivity long enough to do so
  • Six freshman from last year have the potential to be strong contributors, 3-4 of them especially

Sure I question things, why TF didn't we blow out those 3 foo foo teams in The Bahamas, Ash, all of that... well we do not know the whole story, do we? Nagging injuries, discipline, maybe Coach wanted them to just have fun since the season is going to be so grueling. I trust him.

You are a fool if you think we can do better than Crews. Majerus was great, but he came here magically, it was pure luck. For once we got a break.

Give Crews a chance before throwing your hissy fits. .

You are a fool if you think we can do better than Crews. Majerus was great, but he came here magically, it was pure luck. For once we got a break.

I agree with most of your post, but this is small time thinking. SLU could do much better than Jim Crews (or his resume coming into the job, however you want to look at it). To think that a school in a top 10 conference, major market, 10,000 seat on campus arena, and a good fan base couldn't do better is foolish.

I know it has been stated that he is teaching a new offense, but do you guys think he will stick with that? Do you see us running more at all? I think we have the athletes to run, especially since guys like Neufeld and Welmer can get down the floor good for bigs.

Yes to both questions. We could barely get shots off in 35 seconds with all the wing screens we ran. No way that will work in 30 seconds. Looks to me like we're going to a triangle offense where we look to hit the post first and if nothing's there go to a three man game with quick passing to free up a shooter or a driver. Also, I think we'll run when it's there. Welmer's got great hands and runs the floor extremely well for a big. Neufeld isn't bad either. Both much faster than AG or BJ. MY developing a mid-range game is really important. He's the got the form to shoot well, not sure why he's behind in developing it.

For my dear friend kshoe, let me rephrase the question: When did Majerus bow out of the program? A serious question, really. I gave Rick credit for Carter. He was high on Carter giving him all sorts of praise as did the major publications ... a steal out of Big Ten country. A major Majerus coup. Kwamian Mitchell II as I recall. DXid Majerus close on Drew as well? Was that a late signing or did he LOI same time as Carter. I really don't know.

I understand the calendar math and all that but Majerus obviously bailed out after that Michigan State loss because I think he knew he had only so much in the tank and none of that was given to basketball at that time. Someone was responsible for recruiting as we got Crawford in November 2012 (if my calendar recall is off please correct me). Then Lancona and Agbeko in Spring 2013. Then the six in 2014 and now the three for 2015. Someone had to be running the show, attending all those Peach Jam things because it surely couldn't have been Rick. That's either Crews control or Coimmittee control. But someone was flying the plane.

Which means two years with Rick's kids, one of his own, and now the fourth completely on his own. Okay, maybe not four years but certainly four seasons. Am I still wrong?

Buncha jackoffs here, the guy who started thread: especially. Sure constructive criticism is welcome but some of you are an absolute embarrassment.

• Majerus was a great coach, his illness and it's timing left the program with a severe gap in talent, recruits were reluctant to come to a team with that uncertainty
  • Last year we had one of the very youngest teams in D-1, no upper class leadership.
  • Last year a good 9 man rotation could not be established, most no one could sustain consistent productivity long enough to do so
  • Six freshman from last year have the potential to be strong contributors, 3-4 of them especially
Sure I question things, why TF didn't we blow out those 3 foo foo teams in The Bahamas, Ash, all of that... well we do not know the whole story, do we? Nagging injuries, discipline, maybe Coach wanted them to just have fun since the season is going to be so grueling. I trust him.

Give Crews a chance before throwing your hissy fits.

Well said and thank you for saying it. Let's just see what the year holds. We will be better than last year for sure.

Give Crews a chance before throwing your hissy fits. .

Agreed

After last season I find it remarkable that folks still have faith in Crews. I'm not saying I want him fired, but the team actually got worse as the year progressed.

If not for the miracle NCST comeback we would also be talking about how that team completely nosedived to end the year.

I have zero expectations for this upcoming year. I'm praying like hell that I'm wrong on Crews

For my dear friend kshoe, let me rephrase the question: When did Majerus bow out of the program? A serious question, really. I gave Rick credit for Carter. He was high on Carter giving him all sorts of praise as did the major publications ... a steal out of Big Ten country. A major Majerus coup. Kwamian Mitchell II as I recall. DXid Majerus close on Drew as well? Was that a late signing or did he LOI same time as Carter. I really don't know.

I understand the calendar math and all that but Majerus obviously bailed out after that Michigan State loss because I think he knew he had only so much in the tank and none of that was given to basketball at that time. Someone was responsible for recruiting as we got Crawford in November 2012 (if my calendar recall is off please correct me). Then Lancona and Agbeko in Spring 2013. Then the six in 2014 and now the three for 2015. Someone had to be running the show, attending all those Peach Jam things because it surely couldn't have been Rick. That's either Crews control or Coimmittee control. But someone was flying the plane.

Which means two years with Rick's kids, one of his own, and now the fourth completely on his own. Okay, maybe not four years but certainly four seasons. Am I still wrong?

Taj, yes you are still wrong. Drew signed in the fall with carter. He was 100% a majerus recruit. The only spring signing we had in 2012 that year was Austin mcbroom and he too was a majerus recruit.

As to who was in charge, if you'll remember we all thought associate head coach Jim whitesell was going to get the interim job. Crews was a surprise pick for that position and it came less than 3 years ago.

I can't fathom how you think he is responsible for the last 4 years.

I think this discussion about the timing when Majerus became marginal in his abilities as a coach is not constructive for anyone. It is undeniable that he was dying. Very few people can take care of things properly in their last moments, Steve Jobs may have been one of the few I know of but he was something else. Majerus plainly could not do so. When the final stretch comes in a person's life the general pattern that is generally observed is one of gradually giving up on things. Majerus may have tried to hold onto what he had and onto his job beyond the level of his remaining (and dwindling) capacity as he slowly died. This is too bad for all concerned but yet it is something totally understandable. A case can be made that he probably did this past the point where he really was not fully in charge of things, but It is hard or impossible to determine with any level of exactness when it was that Majerus became ineffective or inactive as a head coach as he proceeded down the road to his death.

This is not said with any intention to put Majerus down or to minimize his contribution to our program. He was in his own right a great man and a great coach, may he rest in peace.

Recall Conk's emotional comments about Rick after the loss to MSU. I really think Rick might have shared with some of his guys that because of his health issues he'd been told to hang it up by his doctors. Makes you wonder if the Admin knew this as well. Granted, this is all speculation on my part, but if they did know Majerus' coaching days were over, they should have been out looking for his replacement.

I know Rick said give it to Crews, but, seriously, if Rick had officially resigned after the MSU game, would May have hired Jim Crews? I would hope not, because Jim Crews HC career up to that could never be described as stellar.