Bahamas Tour Coverage

bills07

So, how many games were you predicting us to win last season?

We didn't just lose close games due to freshman mistakes, we were terrible (and we also won close games against SIUC, NC A&T, Bradley, Vermont, St. Joe's, and La Salle). How terrible? 11-21 (that includes the Rockhurst win!) against the 137th toughest schedule, 298th in Pomeroy (317th in AdjO and 186th in AdjD) and 272nd in RPI. Let's at least be real with how bad we were last season.

I didn't make a pre season prediction about how many games we would win last year, so I would be being disingenuous is I told you a number right now. I took it game by game and looking at the other teams roster, who many upperclassmen they had, how their stats had developed, and their overall context. Overall, most of those games I thought we would loose.

Keep in mind that When the class of 2014 (Jett, Loe, and company) were freshmen, they went 12-19…. not much different that our past season, and they had a few more upperclassmen.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind that When the class of 2014 (Jett, Loe, and company) were freshmen, they went 12-19…. not much different that our past season, and they had a few more upperclassmen.

-not much different? wow, there has been much recent posting on this subject that I thought it was taken a fact that there is a huge difference between then and now and by this I mean more than the coach

Do you want a shorter rotation this year? If so, when should Crews figure out who's in this shorter rotation?

I think JC has a reasonably good idea who his top 7 will be. I think that top 7 needs as much time together as possible. 8-12 in the rotation are not going to make or break our season.

-I have only watched one quarter from one game but I did not see an inbounds play where we threw it 75 feet, so progress is being made

Watched all three games in full and we scored at least three baskets off the inbounds pass. Only saw one go to the backcourt during all the games. Mildly encouraging. Hope we'll put at least one rebounder on the lane when we're shooting FTs this year. Except for very late in games, it doesn't make sense at all to give up on offensive boards after a missed FT.

Hope we watch the tape of how the PJ Stinger player was able to beat our guys for the game winning tip-in on the missed FT. He timed it perfectly and our guys were flat-footed while he was tipping it in. Very smart play.

Watched all three games in full and we scored at least three baskets off the inbounds pass. Only saw one go to the backcourt during all the games. Mildly encouraging. Hope we'll put at least one rebounder on the lane when we're shooting FTs this year. Except for very late in games, it doesn't make sense at all to give up on offensive boards after a missed FT.

Hope we watch the tape of how the PJ Stinger player was able to beat our guys for the game winning tip-in on the missed FT. He timed it perfectly and our guys were flat-footed while he was tipping it in. Very smart play.

To me it looked like he left way to early. That is why we were flat-footed. It never would have counted in the states.

To me it looked like he left way to early. That is why we were flat-footed. It never would have counted in the states.

Thought he got it just right but haven't seen it in slo mo to know for sure. At any rate, the guy wanted to win and did everything he could to make it happen.

The shorter rotation debate has been never ending. I know Willie and I and a number of others on this Board have been screaming for it. I am just not confident anymore that it is going to happen and that is perplexing. Crews has been around long enough to how to cut this rotation down. Is he seeing that much parity between the players? Seeing that we were the worst Billiken team defensively in 20 years last year, I would think he would have to shorten the rotation down by playing the best defensive players at least.

We were also one of the worst offensive teams in 20 years. Not a good combination. Unlike last year, I think there are 3 double figure scorers on this roster now. But with 3 freshmen expected to play key roles, I could see us giving up a similar ppg to last year.

We were also one of the worst offensive teams in 20 years. Not a good combination. Unlike last year, I think there are 3 double figure scorers on this roster now. But with 3 freshmen expected to play key roles, I could see us giving up a similar ppg to last year.

Just curious, who are those three? If I had to pick, it would be MY, MC and MB or DR.

I'm confident that whatever three players lead us in minutes will also average double figures. There's enough talent among the sophomore class, Crawford and Ash to make that happen.

I agree. I believe we have 4 that have the talent to average double figures in scoring if they get the minutes. Crawford, Roby, Malik, and Ash

I agree. I believe we have 4 that have the talent to average double figures in scoring if they get the minutes. Crawford, Roby, Malik, and Ash

-foolishly I look forward to the season prediction thread and hope whoever did the stats prediction questions last season does that again as that could be entertaining.......or a train wreck

I don't know what Crews's strategy was in the Bahamas, but I am certain that Ash will likely play 35+ minutes/game this season even though he barely got off the bench in the Bahamas. Clearly Crews was using it as an opportunity to let bench guys get a lot of minutes.

I agree that it is unclear what Crews' strategy was in the Bahamas. No doubt that Crews wanted to see, and play, the new guys and those whom he believed (hoped) made improvements in the off season. And yes, I will be surprised if Ash plays similar or few minutes this Fall. At the same time, his minutes were significantly less than Roby, Malik and even Crawford - and to me - that points to his being in Crews' doghouse. Also, I don't see anywhere close to 35 minutes for him this year, and, if we are able to start/play a regular PG (Bartley with help from Bishop/Hines/Reynolds taking up 40 mpg) to run the offense and distribute the ball, then I agree with 3Star_recruit that Ash may find himself with fewer minutes -- IMO, and in this event, less than 20 mpg.

This team desperately needs a good PG (I am more hopeful this year with a 2nd year Bartley and with Bishop/Hines/Reynolds than I was last year with McBroom and last year's Frosh) and an outside shooter. At times, Bartley and Roby each did well from the perimeter and both Crawford and Ash added some buckets as well; however, the game we lost in the Bahamas underscores the need for better outside shooting as well as limiting turnovers (starting with our PG). Conventional wisdom and last year's expectations on Ash were that he was a good outside shooter and yet last year he showed more confidence driving to the basket than shooting from the outside. If Bartley is the PG, then it will be too much to expect him to both run the offense and be our outside shooter so this means that Roby, Crawford and Ash will need to step up their perimeter shooting and that the best will get the most minutes. And if Malik gets minutes at the 3, then this will be even tougher for Ash.

I agree that it is unclear what Crews' strategy was in the Bahamas. No doubt that Crews wanted to see, and play, the new guys and those whom he believed (hoped) made improvements in the off season. And yes, I will be surprised if Ash plays similar or few minutes this Fall. At the same time, his minutes were significantly less than Roby, Malik and even Crawford - and to me - that points to his being in Crews' doghouse. Also, I don't see anywhere close to 35 minutes for him this year, and, if we are able to start/play a regular PG (Bartley with help from Bishop/Hines/Reynolds taking up 40 mpg) to run the offense and distribute the ball, then I agree with 3Star_recruit that Ash may find himself with fewer minutes -- IMO, and in this event, less than 20 mpg.

This team desperately needs a good PG (I am more hopeful this year with a 2nd year Bartley and with Bishop/Hines/Reynolds than I was last year with McBroom and last year's Frosh) and an outside shooter. At times, Bartley and Roby each did well from the perimeter and both Crawford and Ash added some buckets as well; however, the game we lost in the Bahamas underscores the need for better outside shooting as well as limiting turnovers (starting with our PG). Conventional wisdom and last year's expectations on Ash were that he was a good outside shooter and yet last year he showed more confidence driving to the basket than shooting from the outside. If Bartley is the PG, then it will be too much to expect him to both run the offense and be our outside shooter so this means that Roby, Crawford and Ash will need to step up their perimeter shooting and that the best will get the most minutes. And if Malik gets minutes at the 3, then this will be even tougher for Ash.

Being point guard does not eliminate being a top perimeter scoring threat.

Please tell me you mixed up the 2nd team and the 3rd team and that tonight is a game we should win easily and yesterday was the tougher game.

The toughest game we played was the Stingers. In the original post I wasn't sure of the order of the games but the Stinger game was the one I thought would be the test ( and it was). I had the other 2 games as double digit wins and the Stinger game as a 7 point win. I also said in that original post......."....unless we don't want to win because we have other agendas" (which I believe we did) ...Looking at the results , we were short on points ....2...7...and 9 (Stingers). = 18pts. So the question is could we have scored 18 more points over 3 games and swept the series. I think the answer is yes. So in the big order of things, we are about where I expected us to be at this point (especially in Aug)

So where are we? Well from the practices I saw plus using the few sketchy numbers I have...I think we are better than we were last year...somewhere in the C- area. But it is still way early. These games and extra practices can only help. After game 6 we will have a more useful grade. After that grade is established it is hard to move it much. This year's initial grade will be valuable in that we will have some tough challenges right away.

I think it is too early to make any season judgements at this time. I don't know about the rest of you but I need more data before I know what the "real" Bills look like.

Trying to compare last year's team to the RM team that went 12-18 will not yield anything of value. That team had all freshmen guards. Last year's team had 3 experienced guards - McBoom, AY and MC. Now I am not saying they were any good but they at least were not freshmen. Also the RM team had lost their top guard and top big man who were being counted on to carry the team just before the practice time was to begin. That team was left reeling and simply had to suffer through the season. Last year Crews knew what his situation was and still was unable to create a plan to help mitigate the matter. RM did not have a good record that year but you at least felt as if he was developing the new kids into some kind of a system. What did you think Crews was working towards last year? I hope Crews has a plan and anxiously await the chance to see them actually play some meaningful games to either set my mind at ease or send me to the nearest bridge.I also agree with those who are wondering why does Crews care about the back of his rotation given that he has to win or show big improvement this year? His playing rotation needs the time together and the confidence necessary to be successful this year. Playing a mix and match group for the heck of it makes no sense to me at least.

I was watching the highlight videos at the bottom on the homepage of this site and I began to feel about more hopeful. I don't think we will be a dominant team this year by any means, but it was a reminder that this was alway going to be a process. Last season we lost a lot of games by close margins and we let teams get back in the game after being up by a lot. We made freshman mistakes-mistakes that I think having a year under their belt players won't make again (or at least not make as many of these mistakes).

I don't know how much more we expected from the team given that we had lost al 5 of our starters and Crawford, Lancona, and Agbeko had seen very limited minutes, and Grandy was injured the entire season. It was certainly disappointing to see games slip away, and to hope for the best and still see the worst happen, but I think out record reflects the reality of what the expectation should have been all along. We are fans, and always expect more and hope for the best, but some times we have to understand that results do in fact reflect reality.

What is encouraging about this season is that all of the returning players played the majority of the minutes last year. Its not like last year that we had to start from scratch. If we can win 3-5 more games more than we did last year I think we are still on the right track. We will on lose Yacoubou after this season so the trend of having he majority of your minutes returning will continue.

I think the expectations for the following few years should be as follows:

2015-2016- Win 15 games

2016-2017 Win 20 games, decent conference tournament run, ncaa bubble team

2017-2018- Win 25 games, conference tournament contender, ncaa berth and at least 2 tournament wins

I am sorry but if we improve our win total by 4 but do not show growth by not getting blown out of a games as was the case last year then I will not consider this year a success. The low number of wins was frustrating last year but the blow outs were just demoralizing as a fan. I am not sure the season tix base can wait as long as you are proposing - with RM his name brought hope and an increase in the tix base with Crews we look rudderless and probably will see our tix base shrink again. Let me also ask you this - following your schedule we find ourselves in 2018-2019 right back where we were last year. If this program is only going to be able to give its fans a NCAA trip every 4 years then I am already in a funk. What happened to the idea of being a top 50 team every year?

Last year's team, for whatever reason, showed no heart at the end of the season. There was a brief stretch in the early going, ie GW and VCU games, where it seemed we were headed in the right direction but the it all fell apart. The team became a mess. If the mess continues this year, the Admin's gonna have to make a move.

Being point guard does not eliminate being a top perimeter scoring threat.

Eliminate is your word, not mine. Of course, PGs can still be perimeter scoring threats. My point, instead, is that PGs (especially those who are younger/less experienced) have extra pressures and get worn down by breaking presses (even 1 person token presses by the other team's PG) and running the offense and therefor reliance upon the team's PG to also be the team's top perimeter is asking alot. By similar analogy, catchers in baseball usually suffer a few percentages off their batting average because of the demands of their position.but can still hit doubles and HRs. Nonetheless, most teams look toward their 1B, 3B and corner outfielders for their leading power hitter.

I am sorry but if we improve our win total by 4 but do not show growth by not getting blown out of a games as was the case last year then I will not consider this year a success. The low number of wins was frustrating last year but the blow outs were just demoralizing as a fan. I am not sure the season tix base can wait as long as you are proposing - with RM his name brought hope and an increase in the tix base with Crews we look rudderless and probably will see our tix base shrink again. Let me also ask you this - following your schedule we find ourselves in 2018-2019 right back where we were last year. If this program is only going to be able to give its fans a NCAA trip every 4 years then I am already in a funk. What happened to the idea of being a top 50 team every year?

In 2018-2019 Bishop, Welmer and Neufeld will be seniors, Zeke Moore and a recruit to be named later will be juniors and the 2017 class (probably three players) will be sophomores. We'll finally have the class balance and shooters necessary to sustain a winning program. The first order of business, of course, is for these youngsters to learn how to win.

In 2018-2019 Bishop, Welmer and Neufeld will be seniors, Zeke Moore and a recruit to be named later will be juniors and the 2017 class (probably three players) will be sophomores. We'll finally have the class balance and shooters necessary to sustain a winning program. The first order of business, of course, is for these youngsters to learn how to win.

Well, what you say could happen there is no assurances that those you named will be the backbone of the team - I hope you are correct - therefore we could find ourselves relying this sophomore class just as we ended up doing with the group that took us 3 years to the Dance.

• 2 months later...

Just watched the regulation game but I guess the OT isn't available. They went to a 1-2-1-1 3/4 court press in the fourth and we were completely stymied by it. Apparently, practice on attacking a press will come in the fall.

Some observations: Reggie worked hard in the post and on the glass. He still misses too many from close range. If he ever solves that problem he'll be a force in the paint.

Welmer's going to be a nice player for us although I'm not sold on him as an outside threat. He's got good hands and a nose for the basket.

Bishop has a sweet shot and I think he's going to be a threat from deep.

Crawford - I'm glad we have him on our team. He can shoot the rock and he's sneaky good around the goal. Finishes surprisingly well around the hoop for his size. It's fun to watch such a fundamentally sound player.

Davel's a take charge guy, very determined, not a five star talent, but definitely a five-star heart.

Miles has some speed but I don't see him being a starter. Just doesn't shoot well enough or finish well enough when he takes it inside. He'll make you happy with steals, transition buckets, and FT shooting, and make you sad the next time down the court. He's the kind of player about which it's said, "He does a great job of keeping both teams in the game."

Milik played well in spurts, just has to get a little more under control in the paint and needs to develop a mid-range jumper. He passed up an open 15 footer to pass to the post and the result was a turnover. He's got to believe he can make that shot.

Hard to know what to say about Hines. He's better than the average walk-on and looks like he has a good stroke, but nothing went down for him. I like that he plays with confidence but I hope he's not the best point guard in the program.

Neufeld didn't do much tonight but should help more than hurt, Jolly's a decent shooter for a big but if he's playing a lot, we won't be winning a lot, we know what we have in Gillmann in terms of good hands, good shot, but not athletic enough to carry the team. And then there's Ash. Who knows what to make of his dismal showing?

Here's a post I did after the final game of the Bahamas trip with thoughts about what I'd seen from each player. The primary concerns that came up after the trip were the high turnover count, Ash's lack of minutes and his poor play when he got minutes, and will Crews shorten the rotation some. I'll say that the loss of Welmer is a blow to our frontcourt. I liked what I saw of his game and his potential.

It's going to be a long year and it'll be interesting to see how bad the calls get for Crews' head. Time to get this party started and see how it plays out.