Bahamas Tour Coverage

bills07

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonna be a long season. Hoping to eke out a winning season at this point but doubtful.

After this game, I feel like it's going to be a long time until the season. These games mean nothing, as a walk on is getting a huge amount of PT.

Now if he is getting a lot of PT in conference, it will probably be the end of the Crews era as something will have gone wrong.

I keep reminding myself that these games mean nothing and that lineups and minutes played mean nothing. However, that is oh so hard to do! I can't for the life of me figure out why Crews does what he does, but in all fairness to Crews I used to feel that way during early practices with RickMa. The difference is that I had a ton of confidence with Rick.

Crawford has looked very good so far this summer and then gets limited minutes. Welmer, who I think is going to be a nice player gets significantly more minutes than anybody else on the team. For the second game, the walk-on gets a nice amount of minutes. Ash is only averaging about 7 minutes in the first two games.

The only thing that would confuse me more is if Eagleton showed up and got some minutes while on crutches.

Let me think about this. I'm a head coach. I have an opportunity to practice and play actual games well ahead of REAL practice and REAL games beginning. I have the opportunity to experiment under game like conditions with NO CONSEQUENCES other than getting great experience for all the players I don't really know that well. Plus, I can get limited minutes and avoid injury to most of the players I already have a good handle on. Yep, I like Crews' strategy and you should too!

If Crews is trying to figure out the back end of the rotation then he needs to be fired immediately. In what universe do we have the luxury of figuring out the back of our rotation? I could give 2 sh1ts about how much our 10th guy plays. Let's get our top 7 guys playing like a well oiled machine. They're going to dictate how many we win or lose/. Crews has rarely figured out the right rotation at SLU.

If Crews is trying to figure out the back end of the rotation then he needs to be fired immediately. In what universe do we have the luxury of figuring out the back of our rotation? I could give 2 sh1ts about how much our 10th guy plays. Let's get our top 7 guys playing like a well oiled machine. They're going to dictate how many we win or lose/. Crews has rarely figured out the right rotation at SLU.

wow, is this a change in attitude?

Let me think about this. I'm a head coach. I have an opportunity to practice and play actual games well ahead of REAL practice and REAL games beginning. I have the opportunity to experiment under game like conditions with NO CONSEQUENCES other than getting great experience for all the players I don't really know that well. Plus, I can get limited minutes and avoid injury to most of the players I already have a good handle on. Yep, I like Crews' strategy and you should too!

Sorry, I do not agree with the strategy, nice try

Especially during those two NCAA tournament runs and top 20 rankings... :D

Just watched the first quarter. While the officiating is better and the travelling calls legit, there's no doubt calls and no-calls were favoring the home team. We were sloppy with the ball but the offense showed good ball movement and created a number of open looks from three. As we know, not one went down.

Dear Head Coach Alumni Fan:

You're fired. Take Jiminy with you.

Anything you say Head Coach Optimism.

BTW - I am not the one telling "Jimmy" how to coach the team. :o

Just finished the part of the second quarter where our bigs played really well. First Welmer looked good, good hands, soft touch around the rim. Did shoot an airball three that missed by about three feet though. Neufeld scored on a baseline inbounds play that was well run. Are we going to dump the deep ball into the backcourt this year?

Milik had an excellent baseline drive that resulted in an emphatic jamtime. Bishop made a foot on the line deuce with textbook form on the jumper. He's got potential to be the shooter we lack. Ash looks lost, hard to say at this point if he's not playing because he's a sure starter or because others have moved ahead of him.

Oh, and our bigs are weak with the ball. Each must have committed at least two turnovers just having the ball raked from their grasp. They've got to get stronger.

Into the early 4th quarter at this point. Crawford played really well in the third making two buckets with his foot on the international line so only counted for two instead of three at the NCAA distance. Had two other hard-earned buckets as well. Miles had a terrible start to the 4th with turnovers and fouling a three point shooter on a try from about 5' behind the NBA line.

Watched most of the game.

Neufeld and Welmer both show a lot of promise. One problem I see is those two and Gillman are all very similar players. I don't see how we play two of them at the same time without hurting our defense unless we implement a zone. Few of our decent opponents will have two players on the court slow enough to let them each stay with their man. This would be Ok if they were strong enough on the offensive end and rebounding to make up for it. They may be next year, but will need a lot of quick growth to get there this year. Jolly is probably out of the rotation for good.

Yarbrough looks the same. Lots of talent. Lots of mistakes, but he does like to attack and he does score points which is something we desperately need. I've got to think at some point the light will turn on and he'll be solid.

I didn't notice anyone significantly improved. Roby is still solid, but still needs to improve his shooting. Reynolds looks more confident, but also still needs to improve his shooting and to finish some of those drives.

It's just one exhibition so there's probably not a lot to take from it. Hopefully they are just having fun, playing run and gun. The 24 second clock probably hurries them quite a bit increasing the turnover rate. No one averages 28 turnovers a game.

Very accurate when Reynolds missed two FTs that weren't counted in the first game's stats? No blocks at all for the Bills in the first two games? I haven't watched the videos of today's game, but I watched Saturday's and saw AT LEAST one blocked shot for the Bills.

Pretty accurate then. Didn't notice any errors in this game. I did notice the two missed MR FTs and thought they might have missed a block or two in the first game. Watched a lot of hoops over the years and think that blocked shots are probably the most missed stat of all so not surprised they missed one or two.

Watched most of the game.

Neufeld and Welmer both show a lot of promise. One problem I see is those two and Gillman are all very similar players. I don't see how we play two of them at the same time without hurting our defense unless we implement a zone. Few of our decent opponents will have two players on the court slow enough to let them each stay with their man. This would be Ok if they were strong enough on the offensive end and rebounding to make up for it. They may be next year, but will need a lot of quick growth to get there this year. Jolly is probably out of the rotation for good.

Yarbrough looks the same. Lots of talent. Lots of mistakes, but he does like to attack and he does score points which is something we desperately need. I've got to think at some point the light will turn on and he'll be solid.

I didn't notice anyone significantly improved. Roby is still solid, but still needs to improve his shooting. Reynolds looks more confident, but also still needs to improve his shooting and to finish some of those drives.

It's just one exhibition so there's probably not a lot to take from it. Hopefully they are just having fun, playing run and gun. The 24 second clock probably hurries them quite a bit increasing the turnover rate. No one averages 28 turnovers a game.

Pretty good review although tonight's turnover count was accurate, unlike game 1 with the phantom travelling calls, and a crazy number were on our bigs being stripped. I disagree with the "having fun, run and gun" comment. They were playing legit basketball running the halfcourt stuff and getting open looks. Not many went down. PJs had a few prayers go in, ie, a banked in three, crazy runner across the lane, and one where the player picked up his dribble, took three more steps and scored, and we had nothing like that. I'm wondering if Ash's playing time was legit in terms of the rotation. First, he's had a miserable two games, turning it over as soon as he touches it, and missing badly on the few shots he's taken. We've got enough guards and enough frontcourt players now that I'm not sure there's a position for him. This will be one of the more interesting things to look for as the games get going for real. Also agree that Jolly should not be in the front court rotation. Just way too slow and not athletic enough.

AlumniFan: I am full of optimism. I like to stop it short of insanity. I never said you were the one telling Jiminy how to coach. But you support whatever you think he's doing. Good for you. I know its an exhibition. I know it doesn't count. I know there might be very little to take from it. I know winning and the score are immaterial. Having said that, I have no clue wat these two hours of games in Nassau mean but I see no rhyme nor reason in its conduct. I see no defined offense being run. I see no work on out of bounds plays or even attempting a zone defense. I see a walk-on playing over half the time. I see two big white guys replacing last years two big white guys. The only basketball players out there I see are role players Mike Crawford and Davell Roby. Yarbrough sulks and doesn't hustle and is more intent on arguing with the refs and pleading his case with his arms up. One dunk means nothing. Still fancies himself as a three with a four/five man's game. Exterior shooting is nothing outside of Crawford. The highest rated recruit on the team is in another coach's doghouse, so it seems.

Tomorrow doesn't matter either but the baseline will have been set for October. It's going to be a huge climb. Am I optimisitc Crews can get us out of this hole?

No. He put the groceries on the shelf. He is the master chef of all this.

And this is the only revenue-producing sport we have. So the whole program suffers.

If we never spread the minutes like that again, I guess yesterday's game was a learning point.

The games don't matter but I was hoping competitive nature would take over and not let us lose to a team like that. On the buzzer beater, Yarbrough just stood there and let his man have an uncontested tip-in. That shouldn't happen in practice, let alone an exhibition.

Also on the final tip-in...Is there an international rule that says you can only have 3 defensive rebounders on a free throw? Because I was shocked to see us only have 3 guys there on the final free thow.