Bahamas Tour Coverage

bills07

It's hard for me to take the results of a game seriously where Hines and Reynolds play 32 min each, Ash plays 7 min, Milik plays 12 min and your best big plays 14 min.

If the objective was to win the game by 20, then Ash, Milik, Neufeld and Crawford would have played a lot more. Now what was the objective? Hell if I know.

From watching the 1stQ video, Miles gave the team a big lift in the first with a number of good assists. He was the most active player on the court. Mike shot the ball very well making a three and two long two-pointers. Neufeld and Welmer both show promise. Best two bigs we have now. On to the second quarter.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just noticed that the stat man didn't record Miles missing his first two FTs of the night. He must have actually been 10-12 for the game. So far that's the only stat I see that's incorrect.

Through the mid 2ndQ, have to say Miles has looked very sharp on both ends. He's clearly the quickest player we have and so far is using his quickness with a purpose. AG still has a nice shooting touch by the way. I'm at the part where we're up 20 and then fell apart with five straight turnovers. So far no shotclock violations.

It's hard for me to take the results of a game seriously where Hines and Reynolds play 32 min each, Ash plays 7 min, Milik plays 12 min and your best big plays 14 min.

If the objective was to win the game by 20, then Ash, Milik, Neufeld and Crawford would have played a lot more. Now what was the objective? Hell if I know.

Agree with all of this. Maybe Zink is right about Crews trying to hammer out the back end of the rotation. He probably knows who his key guys will be.

Or Hines and Reynolds will get 6 minutes each tomorrow and Bishop and Neufeld will be over 30

Some of the late 2nd Q turnovers were on some questionable travelling calls. Not sure these refs understand what travelling actually is. Put it this way, if this were an NBA game, every possession would end in a travelling call.

Also, have to say that Jolly has not looked good at all on the defensive end. Just way too slow to guard anyone. If he's getting major minutes this year, we're in trouble.

Some of the late 2nd Q turnovers were on some questionable travelling calls. Not sure these refs understand what travelling actually is. Put it this way, if this were an NBA game, every possession would end in a travelling call.

Also, have to say that Jolly has not looked good at all on the defensive end. Just way too slow to guard anyone. If he's getting major minutes this year, we're in trouble.

There were questionable traveling calls throughout the third quarter as well. Also a lot of touch fouls. No flow to the game.

After about 4 turnovers which wouldn't have been called in any other place, we got sloppy with some bad passing which led to easy baskets. Neufeld is definitely a keeper. If he's not starting to begin the year, there ought to be an investigation.

There were questionable traveling calls throughout the third quarter as well. Also a lot of touch fouls. No flow to the game.

All of Welmer's first half fouls were touch fouls or less. He got the short end of it. Hines looks like a scholarship player at this point. Lots of mid to low major programs would like to have him on the point, but between MR, DR, MB, and AY, I don't see how he gets minutes.

2nd half starters were: MR, DR, MC, MY, and AG.

When we do these trips in the future, we probably should pay to bring our own refs on the trip. Not sure these three have ever attended a basketball game before.

Just remember there was a reason AH was a walk- on.

My point exactly in another thread. If JC held his top players out then one has to wonder what he is doing - after all this team needs to learn how to play together and win not worry about hammering out the back of his rotation as some have suggested. Honestly, I find myself mystified by many things Crews does at times.

These travelling calls against us are mind boggling. Would not be called at the college level.

I thought MR was our player of the game, DR and MC very solid. MN and EW are promising freshman. AG will get some minutes, I think Jolly will be the odd frontcourt player out. The player rotations and minutes were mystifying as was the officiating. We were OK with the ballhandling in spite of what the turnover count was. At least a dozen travelling calls would not have been called in NCAA games. Messed up the flow of the game badly. We were actually 31-39 from the stripe when you count the two MR misses that didn't show up in the stats and we should be a good FT shooting team this year, especially good if AY and MY can step it up from the stripe.

We're better than last year but a long way from an NCAA Tourney team. Overall, should be a fun group to watch.

While it's not easy to tell on the feed (at 480p and having no ability to slow it down), it looked like those officials called the Billikens for traveling if they blinked. And it definitely seemed that the official favored the Atlantis All-Stars. I would say that the Bills played poorly, but they still would've won by 20 had it been "neutral." Nevertheless, I'm content (or resigned) to watch this team grow without expecting much; I would love it if they would prove me wrong.

From the brief write up, we got beat on the boards by a smaller team. Looks like Rick's mantra, to win defense and rebound, is pretty much out the window with Crews crew. The article also said the Cabana boys scored a lot of second chance points. Now, wasn't the whole point of recruiting really tall inside guys to dominate the boards and prevent put backs? Sorry, it is not encouraging when we get out rebounded by a team of fishing guides.

The stats show we out rebounded them 35-30. I don't understand how that is getting beat on the boards.

On another rebounding note, Reggie had three boards in five minutes so that would clearly suggest an average of 24 rebounds a game...correct?

I'm surprised the Jon Rothstein tweeted about the game last night

He has a number of tweets about various exhibition games. Said Louisville will be "televising" their games in Puerto Rico online.

The stats show we out rebounded them 35-30. I don't understand how that is getting beat on the boards.

On another rebounding note, Reggie had three boards in five minutes so that would clearly suggest an average of 24 rebounds a game...correct?

Reggie worked hard to get those boards then couldn't finish. Recurring problem.

Reynolds continues the trend of sub 30% shooting performances coupled with good free throw shooting. Rooting for the kid to get a couple of outside shots to go down. I know it must be frustrating.

Not so sure about the statistics. Watched all of the second half, and much of the first period, and did not really MR shooting, except when he was fouled. I thought if fouled in the act of shooting it did not count as a shot unless you made it. So I am wondering how accurate the box score is...

Reggie worked hard to get those boards then couldn't finish. Recurring problem.

he got one to go but they called him for traveling, I slowed it down and it looked to me like he correctly dribbled, and his feet moving occurred before he repossessed the ball. The ref was so flagrant with a traveling violation on Roby, that the alleged traveling occurred, DR went up for the shot and was hammered, then the whistle blew and he was called for traveling. Reviewing the play DR received a pass from Welmer and was a little surprised by it, but he did not have possession until both his feet were planted, the ref was shielded but blew his whistle anyway.

The whistles and fouls took away from the rhythm, but at times the offense actually looked pretty good. We had a zone played against us most of the game, and we scored more than 50 points...... Granted it was a 24 second clock, but the pace of the game, and our offense was pretty good save for about 6-7 traveling calls and 2 or 3 shot clock violations. The best kind of exhibition game some good things and lots to work on.....

Not so sure about the statistics. Watched all of the second half, and much of the first period, and did not really MR shooting, except when he was fouled. I thought if fouled in the act of shooting it did not count as a shot unless you made it. So I am wondering how accurate the box score is...

Correct. The stats were pretty accurate, he was 1-4 from the floor, 1-2 from the arc. The missed three was taken in the flow of the offense and didn't miss by much. He might have missed some driving layups but I thought he was clearly the most improved player from last year. Had 5 boards, 6 assists, and 3 steals to go along with his points. His 12 FTs, the only stat glitch I saw were the two he missed that didn't show up in the boxscore, were in the flow of the offense, not from being fouled late to regain possession.

That was the most unathletic, disjointed game I have ever witnessed in my life ---- from both sides. It was very obvious the "all stars" had no offensive game at all. The "play" was whomever had the ball going one-on-one almost at all times. I don't know what #12 thought he was doing but if he didn't break it down into the lane it was a step back bomb --- and many were waaaay behind the fourth arc painted on the court. That guys makes his free throws and we lose ....not that it mattered.

I saw no semblance of team on our part. One would think that with such a disjointed opponent, the fact that our guys have been together fro two years should have carried the day. Maybe the four or five guards they played led to such a helter-skelter reaction on our part but no one took charge. And I don't mean take over the game, just orchestrate whatever we are trying to do. And I have no clue what that was. We can't pound it inside as Gillmann, Welmer and Neufeld were all too weak offensively to do anything of note. Subsequently we have no real outside firepower short of maybe Mike Crawford. I will give Davell Roby some props ---- he at least LOOKED like a ballplayer. I'll give Roby a B grade, Crawford a C+. The rest need work and lots of it. If that outfit disrupted our offense so easily, I shudder to think what's coming.

The good news is it doesn't matter.The tape never gave me the score but the score is immaterial. We do not have a true point guard and even if we did there is no one credible enough right now (luckily its early) to offer a suitable outlet option. I counted at least three or four times Yarbrough grabbed a defensive rebound and took it the length of the court. Maybe he got one layup to go? He did have a nice elbow jumper as well. And his attitude seemed to degrade as the game (and bad calls) wore on. Yacoubou looked completely lost and both came under the patented Jiminy Crews yank when they made mistakes. I guess Hines got his shots in the rotation of the offense but one of eight or nine means pine time eventually. Agbeko, yes hurt I know, but still same old Reggie. And I can only figure the three guys with 30+ minutes got them because of the smallish lineup employed by the "All Stars." Both teams employed a mirror-like "chuck and duck" shotting regimen. Just what did those ten extra practices get us?

Positives? Some Welmer. Some Neufeld. Roby and Crawford as noted. Reynolds did well getting to the line but a year plus of observation tells me there is nothing of great note there just yet.

Toeing the line? Gillmann and Jolly seem no different than last year. Ditto Agbeko with the caveat.

Negatives? Its one game and its helter skelter but the Y Axis looks bent and twisted. Yacoubou and Yarbrough were horrible for a fifth year senior and the guy most seem to agree is our most talented player. Bishop showed nothing and I'd challenge Hines' shooting to beat me every night. The other real negative was defense and team defense. And of course our inability to rebound that well. The good news is that all we have to look forward to is going up from here.

The refs? What refs? Still, if we are quibbling over refs in a game like this, we are missing just how rough our talent pool really is right now.

Notes: we did put guys on the free throw lane. But I have no clue what kind of offense ours was supposed to be.

Game two,. Deaux.

Watched the first half. The Atlantis All Stars are one of the worst teams I've ever seen. I won't read too much into the result because of the weird spread of minutes, but it was definitely a little worrisome to me if that's what we are to expect. (I expect we'll be better than that come November)

Either way, the 10 days of practices always meant more than the games. Hopefully by the time the season starts and we play legitimate competition, we'll be able to flow through our offense more and do much less one vs one action that led to travels and turnovers.