Open Practices Thread

I have not been to a practice, but I am amazed at the interpretations people make from posts. It is obvious that some have an axe to grind. crews has been a surprise to me, he got the job, because of how he coached a bunch of good players. He has been appropriately demanding with regard to behavior, if you are not serious you are shown the door. ask drew or mcbroom. His players seem to be recruited based on ability to play and personality. I assume he has a sense as to how much he can push kids. I only played high school ball but yelling is common place in a practice.

For those who did not like the choice of Crews, Inask you do you really want to judge everyone based on their worst action?

I am judging Crews on his ability to coach experienced players, his ability to recruit, and his ability to develop players(which still remains to be seen). He can coach, like it or not. He appears to be able to recruit, I like last years class overall, a few warts and blemishes, but not bad, and Neufeld seems to be best Big man recruited since I have been watching them dating back to 1993. Welmer per the descriptions is better than expected and will give the pg time to adapt before I judge.

For those who did not like last year and hate crews and hate the inbounds plays....enough statistics are against you take a deep breath and watch the season unfold if we are 5-25 then .....ok

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also don't think our recruits have been as bad as some people make them out to be. 3star, I agree on Welmer. From what I have season, he runs the floor very well for a big man and he can shoot. He's very lengthy as well. As we all know, it takes big men a couple years to really develop. I think we will all be pretty happy with this year's recruits in the long run. With the team we have, we should be able to create some mismatches for teams. I am curious how the coaching staff is going to put together lineups and it's going to be fun to watch these kids develop.

I have not been to a practice, but I am amazed at the interpretations people make from posts. It is obvious that some have an axe to grind. crews has been a surprise to me, he got the job, because of how he coached a bunch of good players. He has been appropriately demanding with regard to behavior, if you are not serious you are shown the door. ask drew or mcbroom. His players seem to be recruited based on ability to play and personality. I assume he has a sense as to how much he can push kids. I only played high school ball but yelling is common place in a practice.

For those who did not like the choice of Crews, Inask you do you really want to judge everyone based on their worst action?

I am judging Crews on his ability to coach experienced players, his ability to recruit, and his ability to develop players(which still remains to be seen). He can coach, like it or not. He appears to be able to recruit, I like last years class overall, a few warts and blemishes, but not bad, and Neufeld seems to be best Big man recruited since I have been watching them dating back to 1993. Welmer per the descriptions is better than expected and will give the pg time to adapt before I judge.

For those who did not like last year and hate crews and hate the inbounds plays....enough statistics are against you take a deep breath and watch the season unfold if we are 5-25 then .....ok

You had me all the way up until the point where you said nuefield appears to be our best big man recruit since 1993. That is an incredible statement to make based on a couple practices that you didn't witness firsthand.

I know he is on here now but it looks like he isn't promoting his work.

Brian Haenchen with several videos and articles posted the last two days. Some good stuff.

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLcom/STLSports/SLUBillikens/tabid/328/Default.aspx

Thanks, man. I appreciate it.

I figure by now most of y'all know where to find my stuff and anyone else can find me on Twitter, so there's not much point in posting links here. Don't get me wrong, I love the pub from other folks sharing my links and I appreciate the feedback, but I'm on here more to interact/communicate with fans than to self-promote.

That being said, if it's a real big feature or steaming #hottake (like something similar to the folks who're anointing players the second-coming of Kwam, while simultaneously crucifying Crews), I'll probably share a link, but otherwise I'll keep to posting on that thread I started a while back.

You had me all the way up until the point where you said nuefield appears to be our best big man recruit since 1993. That is an incredible statement to make based on a couple practices that you didn't witness firsthand.

Nit pick all you want. I did see him play with the Canafian team, and others who have seen him have said on this board, that his is faster with quicker feet, look for contact, finishes with either hand, dunks easily......all of that I thought when I saw him play in the FIBA tournament. Let's face it we do not have many centers to compare him to, Ian, Heinrich, Loe...... From what I have seen granted streamed, and what others have said about him contributing as a freshmen, time will tell if he is better than that crowd.....

Wow. I don't know why I'm surprised people are watching a d1 basketball practice and trying to figure out if the coach has been told something about his job security because he yells and is tough. I can help. He hasn't been told his job is in jeopardy nor is it. There is nothing to surmise except a coach holding a practice and being tough. It's normal, nothing going on here. I know it'd be silly of me to ask if we could just relax and forget about whether or not JC will be fired until at least a few games into the season.

I would be interested in seeing how well or not well the season tix renewal drive is going? Given how last year went and all the gripping about not renewing that was on this board, it is not out of the question that Crews/Mays are feeling some pressure. Once you lose a season tix holder it is very hard to get them back. If the renewal drive is seeing a drop then you can bet somebody's seat is hot. I do agree it is hard to figure out what is going on from all the contradictory comments.

I would be interested in seeing how well or not well the season tix renewal drive is going? Given how last year went and all the gripping about not renewing that was on this board, it is not out of the question that Crews/Mays are feeling some pressure. Once you lose a season tix holder it is very hard to get them back. If the renewal drive is seeing a drop then you can bet somebody's seat is hot. I do agree it is hard to figure out what is going on from all the contradictory comments.

My wife and I are not renewing (tickets have been in her family for about 30 years), but like I said previously it was more of a personal decision than anything else (I told her we had to renew if Tatum committed, so when that didn't happen renewing was off the table). With the team being so bad last season we seldom used our tickets and we struggled to even give them away, so it didn't make sense to keep paying for tickets when we don't necessarily care to go to every game. I would imagine I will only go to a few games a year going forward (like every other team I follow), but will certainly be watching every game on tv or following on-line.

Wow. I don't know why I'm surprised people are watching a d1 basketball practice and trying to figure out if the coach has been told something about his job security because he yells and is tough. I can help. He hasn't been told his job is in jeopardy nor is it. There is nothing to surmise except a coach holding a practice and being tough. It's normal, nothing going on here. I know it'd be silly of me to ask if we could just relax and forget about whether or not JC will be fired until at least a few games into the season.

Stop with this rational thought! Don't you know where you're posting?!?!

There is one more open practice Wednesday at 4:30 right?

Yes and then their first game in the Bahamas is on Saturday. Did anybody ever find out if any of the games will be streamed? I would doubt that they would be, but you never know.

I haven't seen any evidence yet that Milik is more than a 60% shooter from the free throw line or more than a 40% shooter outside of 5 feet. Hard to play the 3 that way. He is jumping better now without the baby fat. Hopefully that translates into a higher conversion rate near the rim during A-10 play.

Then I don't think you paid enough attention to Milik's games during the first 1/2 of last season.

Great job Brian with the videos and articles. Appreciate it very much! And don't worry about self-promoting. You can link anything you do about the Billikens here as far as I'm concerned.

Let's go with that comment for a moment, I'm curious. And I've only been following SLU since about 99; and I've seen just about all the recruits firsthand at the beginning of their careers, including now MN. But tell me who was better? It's a serious question, not trying to be snarky at all. Loe was weak inside and did not like physical contact at all. Ian was really ineffective. Cody took a while to get going and was a little bit older and had been around the block when he did get going, basically due to some academic/NCAA screw-ups as I recall. Who else? Brian C. took some time to get going also.

Actually now that I think about it, MN looks the part (right at the beginning of his career here) more than any of those guys. His game seems rather different from any of them. He is far more athletic and I think more comfortable with contact -- and seems like more of a natural scorer -- than the other guys we have right now. MN will play right away, and he'll score (at least I think he will). I get why you would say it's incredible to hear from someone who has never seen the kid -- but for those of us who have now watched him as a freshmen -- and have watched guys like AG, BJ, Brian, Ian, Cody, Rob, etc. plus the most "touted big" we got while I've been here, Brett the kid from Illinois who never did squat -- well, who was better?? For the old-timers -- was Tatum better as a freshman, before games started?? or who? just curious who it might be .....

Let's go with that comment for a moment, I'm curious. And I've only been following SLU since about 99; and I've seen just about all the recruits firsthand at the beginning of their careers, including now MN. But tell me who was better? It's a serious question, not trying to be snarky at all. Loe was weak inside and did not like physical contact at all. Ian was really ineffective. Cody took a while to get going and was a little bit older and had been around the block when he did get going, basically due to some academic/NCAA screw-ups as I recall. Who else? Brian C. took some time to get going also.

Actually now that I think about it, MN looks the part (right at the beginning of his career here) more than any of those guys. His game seems rather different from any of them. He is far more athletic and I think more comfortable with contact -- and seems like more of a natural scorer -- than the other guys we have right now. MN will play right away, and he'll score (at least I think he will). I get why you would say it's incredible to hear from someone who has never seen the kid -- but for those of us who have now watched him as a freshmen -- and have watched guys like AG, BJ, Brian, Ian, Cody, Rob, etc. plus the most "touted big" we got while I've been here, Brett the kid from Illinois who never did squat -- well, who was better?? For the old-timers -- was Tatum better as a freshman, before games started?? or who? just curious who it might be .....

It's Willie and it's not even close.

DoctorB, so you are essentially saying that all of our bigs were bad when they walked on campus and Neufeld wins by default? I haven't seen Neufeld in practice (nor did I see most of those guys in practice early in their careers), so I can't give any educated thoughts on whether or not he is better. However, I am not sure any of the guys you referenced are comparable players overall despite maybe Brett Thompson. Loe was a big with perimeter skills and shooting ability, Cody was a forward and a shooter with perimeter skills, Conklin was more of a power forward with a decent feel for the game, and Ian was also a skilled big who needed to adapt to the college game and had upperclassmen ahead of him, so those are two forwards and two skilled big men as opposed to true back to the basket bigs like Neufeld who is going up against guys like Jolly and Gillmann in practice. Willie Reed in my opinion was the most exciting big man from day #1 that I can remember recently (I had the chance to watch Ian in practice every day, so I knew what he was capable of with a really impressive skill set and just needing to learn the college game). I think Neufeld fits a huge need for us and will hopefully develop into a really nice player, but I didn't see him as being overly impressive watching him in the FIBA tournament. With the competition or lack there of in the post, he is likely looking at fairly substantial minutes early in his career if he is close to what we think he is.

Bigs that were pretty darn good at SLU since 1993:

Jamal Johnson

Willie Reed

Ian Vouyokas

Rob Loe

Kenny Brown

Isaac Ohanon

I'm excited about Neufield but to say he is the best in that group mostly sight unseen is ridiculous at this point.

I am fairly certain that the guy who just won his 5th NCAA title, played and coached at Army, and has the top recruiting class lined up uses the exact same approach.

Everyone needs to lay off Crews. He inherited a great team on an interim basis--and did great things with the team--but on a permanent basis he was handed a complete rebuilding job. He is recruiting and implementing a team that is modeled after his approach: tall guards and big guys who can step outside and shoot. He should get this year and next to implement his system with his recruits. If we aren't at least a bubble NCAA team next season, then his job should be on the line. For now, everyone should enjoy watching the young kids develop and improve.

-I have a different thought on this and that is there needs to be improvement shown this season for JCrews to be here next season, these early practices provide extra time for the staff to get things clicking with the team, time will tell

After the Jett, Evans, etc class graduated, I expected one season where we were average or slightly below average, then a NIT type team, then NCAA. I think that was fair considering all our success. It shouldn't take more than 3 years to reload after the run we had no matter what you lose in terms of points, minutes, etc.

Instead, last year was downright terrible. Not really debatable. Now I think this upcoming season could be where I thought we'd be last year. Average or slightly below.

So we may only be one year behind, but this season still has to play out, and you have to sell recruits on a program that is getting further and further removed from all that success and national attention.

OK, I think I misinterpreted the question, my fault. I was NOT predicting MN to be our best big in 20 years, just to clarify. I also do not think that's what the other guy was suggesting, though I am no mind reader. I thought the question was something like this:

Which "true freshman" big, on day one, appeared to be the best prior to any games being played??

That's how I'm interpreting the "best recruit big" idea. I forgot about Willie, you are correct to say he is the best since I got here, athletically. Willie passed the eye candy test for recruits, no doubt. But as it turned out, Willie's issues were pretty significant as well so as a "recruit," meaning a 4-year type of program builder, I think we could haggle over that prediction. (Of course there would be no way to observe that in a scrimmage from day one!!) But yes, athletically, he was a wow, with off the charts upside (athletically) but significant issues personally and so forth (just telling you the way it is). Kenny Brown is an unfair comparison, being older and more built up. Ohannon is an interesting name, forgot about him, he was an impressive all around player when he got here, kind of able to do a little bit of everything. Wasn't he a bit older? But he might be an interesting comparison with MN, physically and in terms of his game; also I think he was in military or something and was also on a national team if I am recalling correctly.

As for best recruit (during my time since 98), right off the high school team and just from watching in pickups or practice prior to the season: Kevin was terrific and so was Kwamain. DE also seemed special (and he was). and Tommy of course... Kevin had the intangibles, the guts competitiveness, will to win, and leadership that seem pretty rare nowadays--from day one. Hard to teach, we could use a dose of that for a few of our present guys...

Bigs that were pretty darn good at SLU since 1993:

Jamal Johnson

Willie Reed

Ian Vouyokas

Rob Loe

Kenny Brown

Isaac Ohanon

I'm excited about Neufield but to say he is the best in that group mostly sight unseen is ridiculous at this point.

Baniak?