Open Practices Thread

I have read a number of positive comments about Hinson. We should remember that we only have 12 scholarship players for this season. I think it is reasonable to believe that if any of the walk ons proves to be able to play well and mesh with the team he may get a share of the playing minutes this season. Perhaps this is what Hines has in mind and why he is trying so hard in these practices.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's keep in mind that many thought Jolly would be a player and a scorer going into last season after just seeing a small sample size.

There is no comparison between any of our bigs and Neufeld, he's a traditional low post center, not a "stretch" 4 or 5. He's very athletic and physically developed.

I'd cut a little slack on the shooting, tons of running kills the legs and that kills the shots.

-two more things,,,Frank was there and did a quick interview with JCrews before practice started, Hank was that you that followed Frank to interview JCrews?

-there was a still photographer but I did not see a video camera recording practice, did anyone else see a video camera?

Yea it was Haenchen. He recorded Frank's questions and his. Here is a link for anybody who wants to watch.

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLcom/STLSports/SLUBillikens/tabid/328/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/18488/Video-Pre-Practice-Interview-with-SLU-Coach-Jim-Crews.aspx

As Brian said, we will have to win games with our defense this year. Even a much improved offense could rank as one of the 100 worst in the country. And I honestly have more confidence that our defense will be improved than our offense.

Agree with what many have said. Our 4 best players may all play the same position. Jimbo's breakdown of how they could be combo guys is realistic though and hopefully we can get our best players on the floor as much as possible.

There is no comparison between any of our bigs and Neufeld, he's a traditional low post center, not a "stretch" 4 or 5. He's very athletic and physically developed.

I'd cut a little slack on the shooting, tons of running kills the legs and that kills the shots.

And this won't be true in March?

Funny how we complain about the lack of a true shooting guard yet half the board complains about the signing of a guy who by every acoount can really shoot the ball and plays .... Guard. Hmmm

Isn't Crawford a shooting guard?

Funny how we complain about the lack of a true shooting guard yet half the board complains about the signing of a guy who by every acoount can really shoot the ball and plays .... Guard. Hmmm

Assuming Zeke Moore is the 6'6 elite shooter that some believe he can be, I am not sure many can complain too much about his commitment. For me, I have never seen him play nor heard a whole lot about him, so when he committed I knew very little about him. When I asked around, I heard a lot of lukewarm comments about his game (I personally am lukewarm about Sneed, the local wing many would have liked us to get), but again if he gives us a big time shooter at 6'6, I am definitely happy with that. And as you implied, he definitely fits a need on our roster.

The comment about Crawford gets me back to the discussion of not worrying about true position necessarily and just putting our best players on the court in Roby, Ash, Crawford, and Milik.

Thanks for the info!

That will be a struggle, and I can't help but think that the staff will be tempted to use Milik as a 4 at some point, especially if Reggie misses time. We need to get our best guys on the floor. I think Ash, Roby and Milik are good enough rebounders (for wing players) to compensate for playing with only one big, but we'll see.

This team has a lot of question marks at this point. We really need a big to lock down the 5 and someone to emerge as both a reliable ballhandler and distributor.

RM was a master at constructing a roster where the pieces fit. Certainly not every recruit worked, but even when we were young and sometimes struggling, you could see what RM had in mind with the construction of the roster and what roles everybody projected to play. JC has not yet shown that he can construct a roster as effectively - where the sum is greater than the parts. Hopefully the pieces start to fit this year.

Assuming Zeke Moore is the 6'6 elite shooter that some believe he can be, I am not sure many can complain too much about his commitment. For me, I have never seen him play nor heard a whole lot about him, so when he committed I knew very little about him. When I asked around, I heard a lot of lukewarm comments about his game (I personally am lukewarm about Sneed, the local wing many would have liked us to get), but again if he gives us a big time shooter at 6'6, I am definitely happy with that. And as you implied, he definitely fits a need on our roster.

The comment about Crawford gets me back to the discussion of not worrying about true position necessarily and just putting our best players on the court in Roby, Ash, Crawford, and Milik.

That's how I would like to play things. Not sure all 4 but I would sure play 3 of the 4 and if that meant we didn't have a true 4, then so be it.

And as to comparisons with RM, again, no comparison. RM had a system that worked because he only recruited guys to fit his system and he practiced, practiced and practiced until this system worked to perfection. Along those lines, I will always remember the disaster NCAA record for fewest points at George Washington (due in large part to over working the guys in practice) as well as the home win against Romar's Washington game - especially the first half - which was the best Billiken basketball I have ever seen. To RM, the system was more important than the pieces which made it up. If guys couldn't hack it or wanted to quit (whether stars like TLIII or guys like Brett Thompson), RM didn't care. His system was going to be implemented even if it resulted in fewer wins than a different offense focused on guys like KL and TLIII. Also, RM was always strong on his 1 and 4 (PG and Forward). Now in JC's 4th year, we have question marks still at the 1 and 4. If JC is not going to have a system and practice his system over and over until perfection, then let's roll with Neufeld at the center position and surround him with the our best 4 guards. And again from my comments last year, playing guys who have the perfect height at the 4 or a 5 but who makes only 1 (maybe 2) three pointers per game is not the key to success and doesn't produce on the inside is waste.

A couple of additional observations from the first two hours of the 2015-2016 campaign:

1. Neufeld - aggressive on offense. Looks to the hoop, gets to the hoop with either hand, something we have not seen in a 5 in God knows how long.
Will actually draw fouls. He may be our best offensive big already.

2. Welmer - quicker and physically bigger than we may have been led to believe.

3. Gillman - more muscle, Looks more comfortable.

4. Yacoubou - best athlete on the floor, explosive.

5. Crawford - best shooter on the floor.

6. Hines/Bishop: in a learning mode. Give them time.

This year's offense looks more complicated, 'hot read' based, compared to last year.

Coaches and players very cordial.

Milik played with the wings. When Jolly had to run laps he asked Coach Cheaney if he had to take over as a big. He did. I think that was the only time he played against the post players.

One thing by far our 4 best players all play the same position. In scrimmage Crawford goes up against Yarbrough & Roby against Ash. They are all swingmen. Probably all of them are best playing the 3rd wing spot. Its hard on a team when all your best players play the same spot. We will be hard pressed to play all 3 of them on the court at once, much less all 4.

Have seen Villanova play four wings and a big and do very well.

couldn't find any footage on Zeke Moore.. any highlights/mixtapes of him that you know of?

His release is a bit low and slow, but I like that he seems to able to create scoring opportunities both with the ball and off of it.

Exactly my impression, not as much the slow as the low. He'll need to change that or he'll need a lot of space to get his shot off. Maybe why he wasn't ranked as high despite his shooting %

Zeke is part of the HS class of 2016

Right and this is the open practice thread right?? Saw that there were posts and thought maybe would jump in real quick to get the run down on todays open practice and there are posts about a 2016 recruit. Just saying............

Right and this is the open practice thread right?? Saw that there were posts and thought maybe would jump in real quick to get the run down on todays open practice and there are posts about a 2016 recruit. Just saying............

I agree. There is a 2016 Recruit thread. It would seem comments would be about the open practice.