Changes in Branding for Athletics

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't care that much about SLU soccer at this point, but I would be curious to know how we are perceived nationally. Since I was a student beginning in 2001 we have had a number of quality players and teams, but have not been elite (again not a huge follower of soccer, so that may not be accurate). Again, I could not say with confidence who the elite soccer programs are, so this is not me taking a shot at the soccer program, just curious where we stand. Also, looking at the roster, I see a number of foreign players (pretty cool to look at the roster and see players from Germany (4), England, France, Ireland, Serbia, Senegal, and Bermuda) and only a few St. Louis kids. Is St. Louis soccer no longer as great as it used to be?

The way I would describe elite would be consistent top 10, we'd be in the next tier down ... so probably not elite. To be honest, I thought McGinty would have us at that level by now.

St. Louis still develops a lot of soccer players for it's size maybe as much as any place in the country when size of the city is taken into account. However, SLU has not been able to keep the elite players at home. I've always been disappointed with how few of the local elite players stay home.

This may have been posted earlier, but I would assume* this will also streamline the gear available in regards to specific ways the logo and wording must appear on anything.

It will be interesting to see if there is a comprehensive deal* done with Nike, Under Armour, Adidas, etc. to outfit every team and be an exclusive provider with a team store and such.

*Assuming it is done right and assuming that deal doesn't exist already. I think most sports wear Nike gear already, but not sure about the non-revenue sports.

This may have been posted earlier, but I would assume* this will also streamline the gear available in regards to specific ways the logo and wording must appear on anything.

It will be interesting to see if there is a comprehensive deal* done with Nike, Under Armour, Adidas, etc. to outfit every team and be an exclusive provider with a team store and such.

*Assuming it is done right and assuming that deal doesn't exist already. I think most sports wear Nike gear already, but not sure about the non-revenue sports.

I know baseball does not wear nike. It's either Rawlings or Wilson, I don't remember which.

skip: I root my heart out for the basketball Bills. And in doing so, suspect it has been broken more times than not. The reality is such that if the National Title is the end goal, then yes, we have finished last every year since Easy Ed. But so have a lot of people. There can be only one winner -- no matter how many "participation trophies and banners" hang from your rafters. Do I consider winning a national title the end goal for Billiken basketball? No. I consider success to be a program that makes it to the Dance every five or seven years out of ten. Is that hard? Seems like Butler and Gonzaga and Xavier and Villanova and Georgetown do it. Why not us? We shed tears a few years ago in Brooklyn when we won the A10. They were genuine because, in our lifetime at SLU, that is the only title we ever won -- regular and post season of course.

Not only am I a grumpy old man, but I am also an ugly American in that I believe soccer to be foo-foo. But that's not my sole foo-foo sport by a long shot. Curling is foo foo. Auto racing is foo foo. Wait a minute -- make that racing ... auto, horse, dog, even man-to-man crap called track .. is foo-foo. I could go one forever so I'll list the sports that I think are sports -- basketball, baseball, football, hockey, and rugby. And some downhill skiing. That's not an all-inclusive list because i'ts only taking me the time I type here to come up with it. So not a lot of analysis. Probably anything requiring a judge's score is not a sport. It could be a pasttime. A serious hobby. If I see a bunch of synchronized swimmers and I'm near a pool, I'll hide in fear for my life.

You kind of twist things at the end .. saying SLU is a "player on the national scene" when your first question was "is SLU immaterial in today's college soccer?" My statement was that SLU's past was irrelevant to the current state. To reiterate, I think SLU's history is ancient and immaterial in today's college world and I agree with those above between this and your last reply that question SLU's current space in todays college soccer world "eliteness." I say it is not and that all our history is so old, it doesn't matter much any more. But we shoudl embrace and celebrate it -- but accept that's about all we get -- memories.

I'll watch soccer when it's important to me -- the USA in the Women's and Men's World Cup and maybe the Olympics. However, I can guarantee that if a repeat of "War Games" or "The Rock" or a rerun of the final "Seinfeld" episode or (heaven forbid!!!) the making of the Victoria's Scret Fashion Show or Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders Swimsuit calendar is on, soccer loses.

Last night, the home state of Pennsylvania was playing in the Little League World Series. I've been there. I have some personal and family history there. I caught the last half inning. We won 3 to 0. That would be about the same for soccer in my book. You are not an evil person for liking (yawn!) soccer. Good for you! I hope we can agree to disagree.

skip: I root my heart out for the basketball Bills. And in doing so, suspect it has been broken more times than not. The reality is such that if the National Title is the end goal, then yes, we have finished last every year since Easy Ed. But so have a lot of people. There can be only one winner -- no matter how many "participation trophies and banners" hang from your rafters. Do I consider winning a national title the end goal for Billiken basketball? No. I consider success to be a program that makes it to the Dance every five or seven years out of ten. Is that hard? Seems like Butler and Gonzaga and Xavier and Villanova and Georgetown do it. Why not us? We shed tears a few years ago in Brooklyn when we won the A10. They were genuine because, in our lifetime at SLU, that is the only title we ever won -- regular and post season of course.

Not only am I a grumpy old man, but I am also an ugly American in that I believe soccer to be foo-foo. But that's not my sole foo-foo sport by a long shot. Curling is foo foo. Auto racing is foo foo. Wait a minute -- make that racing ... auto, horse, dog, even man-to-man crap called track .. is foo-foo. I could go one forever so I'll list the sports that I think are sports -- basketball, baseball, football, hockey, and rugby. And some downhill skiing. That's not an all-inclusive list because i'ts only taking me the time I type here to come up with it. So not a lot of analysis. Probably anything requiring a judge's score is not a sport. It could be a pasttime. A serious hobby. If I see a bunch of synchronized swimmers and I'm near a pool, I'll hide in fear for my life.

You kind of twist things at the end .. saying SLU is a "player on the national scene" when your first question was "is SLU immaterial in today's college soccer?" My statement was that SLU's past was irrelevant to the current state. To reiterate, I think SLU's history is ancient and immaterial in today's college world and I agree with those above between this and your last reply that question SLU's current space in todays college soccer world "eliteness." I say it is not and that all our history is so old, it doesn't matter much any more. But we shoudl embrace and celebrate it -- but accept that's about all we get -- memories.

I'll watch soccer when it's important to me -- the USA in the Women's and Men's World Cup and maybe the Olympics. However, I can guarantee that if a repeat of "War Games" or "The Rock" or a rerun of the final "Seinfeld" episode or (heaven forbid!!!) the making of the Victoria's Scret Fashion Show or Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders Swimsuit calendar is on, soccer loses.

Last night, the home state of Pennsylvania was playing in the Little League World Series. I've been there. I have some personal and family history there. I caught the last half inning. We won 3 to 0. That would be about the same for soccer in my book. You are not an evil person for liking (yawn!) soccer. Good for you! I hope we can agree to disagree.

Joey Clark had some really good teams and accomplishments and SLU was certainly relevant under his tenure as coach but our team did slip from that of being elite and a player on the national scene. Bob Warming came in and immediately started to make SLU an elite program again and also a true player on the national scene. During this short time here, he was able to get some of the best locals to stay home and for other quality locals to return home while at the same time recruiting the best nationally. Since Bob left, I do believe we have been relevant but not elite or a player on the national scene. I remain hopeful that SLU will again become an elite program but unfortunately we are not that now.

-it's all okay as at least two played with "power" in a loss, I would have written a different headline

-I guess we were "caring" about something other than winning, is that the #Billikenway?

-I reflect on my question from about this time last year where it was #Billikentime with only a little bit of time on the clock.....

-Courtesy: Saint Louis Athletics

Leverenz and Paulson Power Billikens in Loss to NDSU
Courtesy: Saint Louis Athletics Release: 08/31/2015

GAME DETAILS
Saint Louis 1, North Dakota State 3 (25-22, 23-25, 23-25, 22-25)
Monday, Aug. 31, 2015 | 7 p.m.
Chaifetz Pavilion | St. Louis, Mo.

I don't like the new font at all. I wonder if they just went with what the marketing firm came up with, or did they have focus groups that gave them feedback? I can only imagine what the new Billiken will look like..... :(

w

They considered several options, had numerous focus groups, and placed a priority on what the student athletes said.

Their last slogan, #BillikenTime, was just lifted off Cody Ellis' Twitter. I guess they couldn't snag a slogan from a former player this year.

Didn't they "borrow" the "Rise of the Billikens" slogan from a player as well? Rob Loe?

If you're going to choose a typeface, at least choose one in which the capital "D" is distinguishable from the capital "O"!

Agreed. They need to add a little more of a flare on the left side of the D. I personally like it overall though.

Maybe your lack of caring or understanding of soccer affects your understanding of SLU's place in college soccer. I say the National Championships are relevant but they surely don't make us elite today ... and I don't believe we are. What it does give us is name recognition in college soccer to a large % of soccer fans. Just curious though ... what makes soccer foo foo? It's a hell of a lot more athletic than football or baseball and just as if not more physical than basketball

You are the one that made the statement that you either win it all or you are in last place ... or something to that effect. I was just going by your statement. Your clarification suggest that's not exactly how you feel.

w

They considered several options, had numerous focus groups, and placed a priority on what the student athletes said.

Oh, that's just freakin' brilliant. How many tickets do the student athletes buy, and how many of them are going to increase the size and reach of our fan base?

Maybe your lack of caring or understanding of soccer affects your understanding of SLU's place in college soccer. I say the National Championships are relevant but they surely don't make us elite today ... and I don't believe we are. What it does give us is name recognition in college soccer to a large % of soccer fans. Just curious though ... what makes soccer foo foo? It's a hell of a lot more athletic than football or baseball and just as if not more physical than basketball

You are the one that made the statement that you either win it all or you are in last place ... or something to that effect. I was just going by your statement. Your clarification suggest that's not exactly how you feel.

I haven't had time to address this in depth, but in brief, I agree with a lot of what Taj originally said. Those national championships were won when college soccer basically didn't exist. (It's kind of like pre-1947 baseball records, which I think are inferior to anything after that.)

St. Louis at that time was arguably the center of the American soccer universe, especially in youth soccer, and SLU was a commuter campus and a whole lot more students stayed home. (An aside: Was soccer a full ride in those days? Anyone know?) We had an embarrassment of riches.

That said, how successful are we going to be at getting kids to stay in town next year and for a bit subsequent. SLUH is fourth in the nation? (And CBC is top 40.)

http://usatodayhss.com/rankings/expert/boys/soccer/2015/2

How is the team looking this year?

I've yet to see them

Lost a lot from last year but have a couple of good transfers. Won't have the super star like Robbie Kristo but should have balanced scoring. Defense should again be strong ... preseason rank 22.

Imo McGinty needs to get something done in the tourney this year.

I haven't had time to address this in depth, but in brief, I agree with a lot of what Taj originally said. Those national championships were won when college soccer basically didn't exist. (It's kind of like pre-1947 baseball records, which I think are inferior to anything after that.)

St. Louis at that time was arguably the center of the American soccer universe, especially in youth soccer, and SLU was a commuter campus and a whole lot more students stayed home. (An aside: Was soccer a full ride in those days? Anyone know?) We had an embarrassment of riches.

That said, how successful are we going to be at getting kids to stay in town next year and for a bit subsequent. SLUH is fourth in the nation? (And CBC is top 40.)

http://usatodayhss.com/rankings/expert/boys/soccer/2015/2

I've always though we should get more local kids to stay ... but our success rate isn't great.