SLU buying back hospital and merging it into SSM

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at slu hospital today for some routine followup ultrasound work as I am coming up on the anniversary of my heart attack. The attitudes of the people at the hospital today was overwhelmingly joyous. I have never seen such a large work place drunk with happiness. Obviously it seems the buyout and changes have done wonders to morale at this point for the hospital.

It's really not. It's got problems like every other place on the map BUT having worked in the city for the last 18 years and having lived in the area for my entire life, I have to say that you're full of it.

It is just my opinion (so not sure how you can say I am full of it by saying the city of St. Louis is terrible), but I have worked in the city (still do) and lived in the city (not anymore) as well. I have also lived in the area essentially my entire life. There are aspects of St. Louis I really like, but overall the city sucks. Do you travel much?

It is just my opinion (so not sure how you can say I am full of it by saying the city of St. Louis is terrible), but I have worked in the city (still do) and lived in the city (not anymore) as well. I have also lived in the area essentially my entire life. There are aspects of St. Louis I really like, but overall the city sucks. Do you travel much?

It has its issues, but I don't think it sucks. I would say that St. Louisans have largely chosen sucky ways of dealing with those issues, and that's how we got where we are today. St. Louisans have the power to make this a better place; we just lack the collective will to do so.

It has its issues, but I don't think it sucks. I would say that St. Louisans have largely chosen sucky ways of dealing with those issues, and that's how we got where we are today. St. Louisans have the power to make this a better place; we just lack the collective will to do so.

I agree with that. I really don't think St. Louis is terrible (that is definitely more harsh than my honest opinion which is more in line with Box's post), but I thought someone had to take the bait. Now that I have moved out west and no longer pay an earnings tax to the city, I stay away from being too critical of the city. I will say that the city is sorely lacking quality leaders.

Mais non. I simply disagree that Doisy "looks great with some green space around it." To paraphrase a certain presidential campaign mantra, "It's the city, stupid." I disagree with the way Biondi built "Fortress SLU" on Frost Campus, and I disagree with making the Med campus look like some upscale suburban office park. Build to scale. Cities should be dense. And there's certainly the ability for SLU-Med-New to achieve density with a combination of hospital buildings and supporting office and residential. (See also: University Hospital of Cleveland, which I played a small role in achieving.) Again, to paraphrase a successful presidential campaign: "It's the City, stupid."

Fine, as Bonwich says let's talk about an urban style medical center campus. All you really have to do is to go west to Kingshighway and take a look at Wash U Medical center and the BJC hospitals. They are dense but denote some kind of dynamism. Many of the buildings are modern, the animal sculptures in front of Children's Hospital are nice and peds appropriate. There are all kinds of people walking around the complex without detracting from it, at least in my opinion. I would not object if the new SLU Medical Center area winds up looking like this. Modern buildings but in a dense urban layout with lots of people and movement. A very dynamic view of what goes on inside it. The main problem I see with Wash U medical Center is the difficulty in finding decent parking and avoiding traffic congestion. I hope SLU can solve this problem in their planning.

I am a PT student and I know for a fact many people in my program also from the Chicago suburbs would not have attended SLU if not for the beautiful campus. Marquette is urban and frankly is not as nice. Kids from the suburbs want to feel like they're in the suburbs. No one wants street people mucking up the campus

The Pope is a Jesuit. You may want to pay a bit more attention to what he's been saying lately.

I am a PT student and I know for a fact many people in my program also from the Chicago suburbs would not have attended SLU if not for the beautiful campus. Marquette is urban and frankly is not as nice. Kids from the suburbs want to feel like they're in the suburbs. No one wants street people mucking up the campus

So we should build our city so that 16 year old kids from Naperville like it? Or should we build it for the people that live here?

I'm ambivalent on this. I spent enough time in that hospital -- and the Vermin Deathlodge side -- to know the challenges of retrofitting it. Or at least of retrofitting it well within a reasonable budget. Haven't been in there for a while, but the so-called "offices" that used to be in the old tower weren't exactly the kind that you'd show off when trying to attract a world-class staff.

At the same time, med and NAHP (or whatever they call it now) dorm space could be wildly cool.

One thing that I don't think has been brought up is that if FD goes down, SLU loses its entire architectural identity. Ever since Biondi added that padded bra on top of Gries, the faux-copper roofs have allegedly provided visual continuity on campus. If the tower goes away, they (especially Gries) won't make a whole lot of sense.