Official Tatum Rally (no dead period AD screw up) Thread

Go to a Duke forum and look for threads about Jayson Tatum. It is going to be hard, because there are very few to none. That sums up the difference right there. This guy is 18 months from putting on a SLU uniform and he is pretty much dominating conversation here. Duke is busy worrying about the one and dones for next year.

Good post.

And BTW, just because Coach K is a future HOF coach and Duke a basketball royalty does not mean that each of their students are rabid fans reading the latest about the top high school Juniors around the country such as Jayson Tatum. Frankly, Duke will be just fine with or without him. In short, their recruitment of a player of JT's caliber is nothing new as they are always in the hunt for the very top players -- see Okafor and countless other names prior. Here at SLU, we are mostly looking for diamonds in the rough (3 star guys who got picked over for one reason or the next ) whereas Duke is going after the top McDonald's All-Americans.

I am reminded by our comments about Creighton and Dayton with this thread. Both are solid Mid-western Catholic schools who support their basketball teams with butts in the seats. Yes, there is not to do in either Omaha or Dayton and therefore we laugh at their attendance figures supporting not only their teams but also the NCAA Tourney play-in games each year at Dayton. Their fans are hardly ashamed of putting 16,000 and 13,700 butts in the seats each year and use the same as a symbol of their support for their basketball programs. Here at SLU, it sounds like we are going all out to get students, faculty and alums on campus, along with the Band and Cheerleaders, to welcome JT and his Dad -- and I think this is great. Duke fan's, most likely, will laugh and say they'd be putting on 20 such welcome events each year.

Again, we need to use the strengths we have. And remember, Justin Tatum may have been foreshadowing such an event/local excitement with his comments a year ago all but imploring the St. Louis community to get behind his son and encourage him to stay home and got to SLU. If Jayson does become a Billiken, we will all be glad we gave every last effort. If not, then harm done and we will have known we truly gave it our best chance.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here at SLU, it sounds like we are going all out to get students, faculty and alums on campus, along with the Band and Cheerleaders, to welcome JT and his Dad -- and I think this is great. Duke fan's, most likely, will laugh and say they'd be putting on 20 such welcome events each year.

I hope this is true. All I have seen so far is a few current students trying to whip up interest here and on Facebook.

The thing about Duke is that they really do make a big deal out of welcoming every top recruit who visits them. That reception Tatum got at Cameron is one they repeat several times every year. SLU students aren't used to giving recruits welcomes like that, either at games or other campus visits. If anyone is aware of a precedent for anything like this at SLU, I haven't heard it. Did they do something like this for Hughes?

I hope this is true. All I have seen so far is a few current students trying to whip up interest here and on Facebook.

The thing about Duke is that they really do make a big deal out of welcoming every top recruit who visits them. That reception Tatum got at Cameron is one they repeat several times every year. SLU students aren't used to giving recruits welcomes like that, either at games or other campus visits. If anyone is aware of a precedent for anything like this at SLU, I haven't heard it. Did they do something like this for Hughes?

Maybe the welcoming event fails or never takes place. But your negative comment is funny. What signs are you expecting to see now?

I agree that Duke is great at welcoming recruits at games, I don't think they would try and organize anything for a recruit visiting not during a game like the students are trying to do right now.

I do hope it is going well on campus. It can only help show him how much not only the city, but the school wants him there as well.

Maybe the welcoming event fails or never takes place. But your negative comment is funny. What signs are you expecting to see now?

It's funny to me you considered my comment negative. I have complimented Dwayne's_World and the other students organizing this several times now, because their posts are the only things I have seen. What other signs could there be? Well, the AD could send out emails to season ticket holders. They could post things on the Facebook pages for alumni and other basketball fans (not just the page for the Slunatics). Just a couple ideas, if we really want to go "all out"...

It's funny to me you considered my comment negative. I have complimented Dwayne's_World and the other students organizing this several times now, because their posts are the only things I have seen. What other signs could there be? Well, the AD could send out emails to season ticket holders. They could post things on the Facebook pages for alumni and other basketball fans (not just the page for the Slunatics). Just a couple ideas, if we really want to go "all out"...

I think DW posted in the original thread about the rally about trying to contact a member of the AD about when Jayson will be there and later said that if they organize the gathering, it would be a violation. I think that's why he is contacting Justin but he can correct me if I am wrong.

Re-read your own comment. It certainly is not positive. And if you don't believe it is negative, then you either don't realize how bitter you come across or you are simply not credible. Again, maybe the whole event fails or never gets started. But again, we have guys who appear to be trying and then we get, some a#$hole like you who writes this crap. Again, your comments are for what noble purpose?

Typical Clock Tower BS. Looking to pick yet another argument, over what is anyone's guess. If you have info on additional efforts outside the postings here and on the Slunatics FB page that you feel I am giving short shrift, feel free to share them. Otherwise, spare me the self-righteousness.

Re-read your own comment. It certainly is not positive. And if you don't believe it is negative, then you either don't realize how bitter you come across or you are simply not credible. Again, maybe the whole event fails or never gets started. But again, we have guys who appear to be trying and then we get, some a#$hole like you who writes this crap. Again, your comments are for what noble purpose?

Wow that was over the top.

Will the negative police take a break from the board till after Jayson commits somewhere.

Apparently many of you exist in some alternate reality where what is said on an anonymous message board matters to anyone much less the #1 recruit in the country.

I will be at the rally, I'm taking the afternoon off from work. Will you be there clocktower or will monitoring behavior on this board take precedence for you?

I can't believe we ran Billikan off for this? I'd trade his overly positive outlook for the gestapo treatment now prevalent on this board for anyone with a more pragmatic view of the program.

Wow that was over the top.

Will the negative police take a break from the board till after Jayson commits somewhere.

Apparently many of you exist in some alternate reality where what is said on an anonymous message board matters to anyone much less the #1 recruit in the country.

I will be at the rally, I'm taking the afternoon off from work. Will you be there clocktower or will monitoring behavior on this board take precedence for you?

I can't believe we ran Billikan off for this? I'd trade his overly positive outlook for the gestapo treatment now prevalent on this board for anyone with a more pragmatic view of the program.

Torch.

First, the initial line to my post was hsmith19's comments. Not mine.

Second, this is just another of hsmith19's posts which is based upon the false premise that SLU should be organizing such an event -- believe the Board consensus is that such activity would in violation of NCAA rules.

Third, we have some good and longtime posters and students trying to pull this event off -- and I certainly hope they do. Support and not the back of one's hand is needed. Students sure take alot of crap on this Board for not being knowledgeable, not attending enough...

Fourth, there is a difference between being negative generally and taking shots at guys who are actually trying to help and do what they can.

Fifth, yes, I will be at the event so transfer your disdain elsewhere.

This is absolutely hilarious. I have praised Dwayne's_World all over the place. Clock Tower is the one who attacked GoBillsGo (another current student trying to whip up interest in the event) for being "too negative" in the original Tatum thread. I think GBG's sin was implicitly suggesting Duke might have some sort of advantage over us in some respect in the middle of a post promising to make sure as many of his buddies as possible were at the SLU rally.

Clock Tower is one of those guys who just absolutely needs to be in an internet war with somebody at all times. Every discussion gets derailed when one of his umpteen sensitivities get offended. It gets really old. The irony is that there are a couple people who claim to be against negativity but instantly make every thread they weigh in on more negative.

Torch.

First, the initial line to my post was hsmith19's comments. Not mine.

Second, this is just another of hsmith19's posts which is based upon the false premise that SLU should be organizing such an event -- believe the Board consensus is that such activity would in violation of NCAA rules.

Third, we have some good and longtime posters and students trying to pull this event off -- and I certainly hope they do. Support and not the back of one's hand is needed. Students sure take alot of crap on this Board for not being knowledgeable, not attending enough...

Fourth, there is a difference between being negative generally and taking shots at guys who are actually trying to help and do what they can.

Fifth, yes, I will be at the event so transfer your disdain elsewhere.

You went from debate to calling someone an . These type of personal attacks are totally unwarranted. If the "pressure" of the Tatum recruitment has gotten to you so much that you have to resort to petty name calling I suggest you take a break from the board.

stop bickering guys. can you imagine if Tatum read this thread and said "wow those fans can't even get along. i'm going to Duke"

If he read message boards, Kentucky and UNC would've been cut long ago. And Duke is lucky they're preoccupied with replacing guys right away, or it'd be nearly as bad. Ours is relatively tame, even with the stupid bickering.

This is absolutely hilarious. I have praised Dwayne's_World all over the place. Clock Tower is the one who attacked GoBillsGo (another current student trying to whip up interest in the event) for being "too negative" in the original Tatum thread. I think GBG's sin was implicitly suggesting Duke might have some sort of advantage over us in some respect in the middle of a post promising to make sure as many of his buddies as possible were at the SLU rally.

Clock Tower is one of those guys who just absolutely needs to be in an internet war with somebody at all times. Every discussion gets derailed when one of his umpteen sensitivities get offended. It gets really old. The irony is that there are a couple people who claim to be against negativity but instantly make every thread they weigh in on more negative.

hsmith19.

Admit that you were wrong in wanting SLU to become more involved which could be an NCAA infraction.

Admit that you to a cheap shot at those trying to put this together instead of offering to help.

Admit that you go personal at every chance you get like the above with me.

My bet, is you will continue to ignore the same. I now get it with you. Total confusion. When exposed or embarrassed you attack in every direction to distract away from you. I would go on, but for the sake of the other posters, I will refrain.

I took no shots at anyone, until you jumped down my throat with the name-calling nonsense. I took care not to respond in kind, beyond calling you on your BS, and I will certainly not apologize for that.

I think it's plain for everyone to see what happened here, and to see who considered it personal. But feel free to insert the last word, as you usually do.

To All,

Once again. If you aren't talking Tatum to SLU, go elsewhere.

Don't make me say this again,

NextYearBill

So is this probably not the time or place to let Jayson know I had a crush on his mom in law school, even before I knew she had a kid with Justin Tatum?