Official Tatum Rally (no dead period AD screw up) Thread

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But really. As someone suggested, the banner should read Tatum.com until he commits.

Get on it, Steve.

If we actually did this I bet it would get some positive media coverage.

But really. As someone suggested, the banner should read Tatum.com until he commits.

Get on it, Steve.

Until he commits? When he does commit, I am all in favor of a permanent rebranding. And maybe incorporating his face into the Billiken logo.

Not Durando but some nice coverage I suppose...

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-school/recruiting/basketball/tatum-serenaded-by-slu-faithful-freshmen-open-national-eyes/article_a85f809a-ed59-11e4-acba-4b5c94621864.html

Saint Tatum.
Has a nice ring to it, no?
That's what a gathering of St. Louis U. fans cheered last week as national No. 1 men’s basketball recruit Jayson Tatum rode a cart through the quad during his official visit.
“S-A-I-N-T-T-A-T-U-M” the assembled students chanted as the school fight song played in the background.
“That was different. I didn't know that would be there, a parade, but I enjoyed it,” Tatum said. “I loved it.”
The 6-foot-9, 200-pound Tatum has been on campus many times, but his official visit had some new wrinkles. He visited the academic facilities and chatted with SLU president Fred Pestello.
The visit concluded at Chaifetz Arena where Tatum, his family and Billikens coach Jim Crews chatted about what SLU can do for the ultra-talented Chaminade junior.
Tatum averaged 26 points and 11 rebounds as he led Chaminade to its second state semifinal in school history this past winter. The 2014-15 Post-Dispatch All-Metro player of the year, Tatum also is the two-time Missouri Gatorade Player of the Year.
Last week was a mega week for the mega-star. Before taking his official visit to SLU, Tatum had in-home visits from North Carolina and Kentucky. The two blue-blood programs brought out all the stops in an effort to sell themselves to Tatum. Duke did its in-home visit the second week of April.
“It was a good time having those great college coaches come to your door and sit down in your home and just have a talk,” Tatum said. “You hear their side and hear what they have to say.”
Tatum then spent Friday, Saturday and Sunday with the St. Louis Eagles to compete in the second session of the Elite Youth Basketball League in Lexington, Ky. During the weekend, Kentucky brought a contingent of its current roster to check out Tatum and fellow coveted star Malik Monk from Arkansas. Tatum and Monk played the showcase game of the weekend.
“There (were) a lot people there, Kentucky fans, players and coaches to watch me and Malik play,” Tatum said. “It's always fun playing in front of a big crowd.”
The Eagles went 2-2 on the weekend but did pull out a win over Kansas City-based MoKan Elite, which features Tolton standout sophomore Michael Porter Jr. Tatum drew rave reviews for his all-around game, which is why ESPN.com has tabbed him as the No. 1 recruit regardless of class. He even put up a highlight-reel dunk that is sure to be played time and again on social media and YouTube.
Not that it matters much to Tatum. The Eagles are chasing a spot at the Peach Jam in July and in order to qualify the team has to perform well in the EYBL. The Eagles are 5-3 after two sessions and Tatum believes they could be better.
“We lost some games we shouldn't have lost,” he said. “I feel like we should no doubt be 7-1 because we gave two of those games away.”
Tatum's recruiting will cool off some as the NCAA-enforced dead period is now upon us. As for when he plans to make his final decision, Tatum said he does not have a specific date in mind.
“Hopefully sooner than later,” he said.
CHAMINADE DUO SHINE
Chaminade junior forward Will Gladson received his first two offers with the Eagles during their trip to Lexington. The 6-10 Gladson was offered by Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis and Southern Illinois Edwardsville.
Gladson has battled back from a knee injury suffered during the start of his sophomore season.
Junior forward Tyler Cook added another pair of offers to his growing collection. Arkansas and South Florida are the latest to chase the 6-9 athletic post. He already had 17 other offers including Missouri, Illinois, Florida, Tennessee, Marquette, Michigan, Memphis and Iowa.
FRESHMEN DRAW ATTENTION
Over the weekend at the NY2LA Spring Extravaganza in Minneapolis, three area freshmen — Carte'are Gordon, Courtney Ramey and Torrence Watson — stood out for Team Ramey.
A 6-7 power forward with an array of skills, Gordon (Vianney) is primed to be a high-major player. He has interest from SLU, Missouri, Illinois and Virginia.
A 6-2 point guard, Ramey (Webster Groves) displayed the ability to pass, score and rebound. His hoops IQ is what drew the most reviews. He has offers from Southeast Missouri State, Jacksonville State and Missouri State. He has interest from Missouri, Illinois, Wake Forest and Southern Illinois.
A 6-4 shooting guard, Watson (Whitfield) has the potential to be as big a name as his Team Ramey teammates. The only freshman to make an all-state team, Watson currently has interest from SLU, Missouri, Creighton, Dayton, Illinois and SIU.
STOCK IS UP FOR BARNES, MOORE
Jordan Barnes is making the most of his offseason tour with the Eagles. CBC's 5-11, 150-pound junior point guard counts offers from SIU-E, Missouri State, IUPUI, Arkansas State, Indiana State and South Alabama. But recently his interest list has grown to include Memphis, Creighton, Wichita State and Tulsa. With a strong season in the EYBL, Barnes hopes that interest translates into offers.
Riverview Gardens junior guard Zeke Moore has made an impression on the circuit with Team Ramey. The 6-6 shooting guard impressed at this weekend's NY2LA Spring Extravaganza. His bevy of offers come from mostly Missouri Valley Conference programs as Indiana State, Illinois State, Drake, Loyola-Chicago and SIU are all after him. Northern Illinois, Eastern Illinois, Western Illinois, University of Missouri Kansas City and Jacksonville State have offered, too. On Monday, Moore tweeted that he was receiving interest from Missouri.
YESS ADDS ANOTHER OFFER
Recruiting offers haven’t taken off for Parkway West post Wyatt Yess, but they’re building. The 6-8, 200-pound sophomore recently was offered by Wyoming. He was offered by SLU as a freshman.
Yess averaged 16 points, nine rebounds and two blocks per game for the Longhorns.

David Kvidahl for SLU beat writer!

Think again.

Despite being a SLU graduate he dislikes the program. He does his job of covering well but don't confuse him with a rah rah SLU type. His bias will come out in his work eventually as it has in the past.

I know it's a high school article, but I still wish that story was on the SLU section of StLToday. There's a lot of talk about that section not getting many clicks. But it's a little hard to argue that proves people don't care about SLU coverage if you're not even going to put one of the bigger stories re: SLU on the SLU section to begin with.