2015 Commit - Jermaine Bishop

slufan13

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's ESPN's evaluation of Bishop. They have him as the 93rd ranked PG in the class of 2015.

ESPN Analyst
Updated 04/02/2015

Strengths:
Combo-guard with good skill set. Stroke is sound both behind the arc as well as off the dribble in the mid-range area. Ideal secondary ball-handler who can handle and pass with both hands. Intelligent floor game and good overall basketball I.Q. Throws ahead in transition, makes various reads off ball screen and has some sneaky length.

Weaknesses:
Not an elite athlete and needs to get significantly stronger. Ball looks good coming off his hand but little bit of a "shooter who doesn't make enough shots." Statistically inefficient during EYBL play, both in terms of shooting percentages as well as turnover numbers. Much more of a two-guard than true point.

Bottom Liine:
Combo-guard with well-rounded skill set and ability to mesh well with offensive structure at next level but needs to get stronger and more efficient.

Here's ESPN's evaluation of Bishop. They have him as the 93rd ranked PG in the class of 2015.

ESPN Analyst

Updated 04/02/2015

Strengths:

Combo-guard with good skill set. Stroke is sound both behind the arc as well as off the dribble in the mid-range area. Ideal secondary ball-handler who can handle and pass with both hands. Intelligent floor game and good overall basketball I.Q. Throws ahead in transition, makes various reads off ball screen and has some sneaky length.

Weaknesses:

Not an elite athlete and needs to get significantly stronger. Ball looks good coming off his hand but little bit of a "shooter who doesn't make enough shots." Statistically inefficient during EYBL play, both in terms of shooting percentages as well as turnover numbers. Much more of a two-guard than true point.

Bottom Liine:

Combo-guard with well-rounded skill set and ability to mesh well with offensive structure at next level but needs to get stronger and more efficient.

I sure hope he's wrong on this point.

Just wanted to point out that EYBL was last summer. So none of the improved play this summer that made him an all-star selection was even counted.

I think he was hurt last summer, a knee contusion, so that info was from two summers ago. His high school coach says he is a very good jump shot shooter so I will take his report over some guy that probably saw him once.

I think people get to caught up in labels. Jett, Mitchel, and McCall weren't classic point guards and they did, ok.

Without further ado, I was able to watch the kid play! First, let me provide the context of the game. This was an NYC ALL-STAR game for seniors. That said, the kids surprisingly seemed to really want to win, they played hard, and actually hustled and played D. In fact, it was quite a refreshing change from the typical all-star game.

Now, let’s start with the physical attributes. I was impressed. I am 5’11” and I stood about 3 feet from Jermaine as he was casually shooting some 3s at halftime. He is AT LEAST 6’1”. If I had to guess, I would have said 6’2”. He is also cut for a kid his age but definitely has the frame to add muscle, which he will have to do in time.

I arrived a few minutes into the game and did not see Jermaine’s 1st quarter play, but his team was up 15 when I arrived and he was on the bench (both teams played their starters and then subbed that line for the backups; generally, lines played at the same time and they matched up the best lines against each other). In the second quarter Jermaine was 0-4 (0-3 from 3) with 1 turnover. That said, he played solid D, used his length to deny desure buie the ball. He was very solid defending the inbounds throughout the game as well, again very good with ball denial. His one turnover came off of a pick where he attacked the hoop, was surrounded in traffic, and made a poor pass.

In the 2nd half he definitely turned it on and shot 4/10 with 3 assists. 3 of his 4 makes were from downtown. He definitely loves the 3 ball. His other bucket was on what I thought was one of his more impressive plays. His team was down 5 with 2 to play, he showed that he wants the ball in his hands and wants to take the shots in the clutch. He came off a screen, attacked the rack with a quick cut to the hoop and used his strength and size advantage to draw a hard foul and get the and-1. HE ALSO HITS HIS FREE THROWS. 4/5 from what I saw!

Jermaine had 3 assists. But, to be honest, they were not so impressive. All 3 were to Matt Ryan, the Notre Dame recruit. 2 of the 3 were simple passes to Ryan who was trailing on the play and nailed very deep 3’s. The 3rd was another pass to Ryan who pump faked, side stepped and drained a deep 2.

THE POSITIVES:

He hustles on D. May not be the best defender when his man has the ball, but 1) his ball denial was great and 2) he hustled for and dove for 2 loose balls, one where he flat out dove for the save.

To me, his most impressive play came off an inbound where the opposition suddenly decided to press. Jermaine single handedly took the ball up displaying insane handle. He loves the behind the back dribble and uses his big frame and length to spin through defenders. He took on 3 guys with relative ease and had zero help. His handle was fantastic.

He will be another legit threat from downtown, no doubt.

He is a leader. Even in this all-star game, it was clear that when he stood on the court, the ball would go through him and that his team and the opposition knew he was the leader. Best player was Matt Ryan, but Jermaine was the leader.

THE DOWNSIDE:

He is a shoot first point guard. The main question on this board has been whether he is a “true point guard.” Based on the limited sample size I saw during this all-star game, I would say he is a true point in that he has legitimate handle. He is NOT a true point if you define true point as a pass first pg. He is a bit tall for a “true point.” He is more of today’s point guard in that he is long and looks for his shot before that of his team.

While his ball denial was very strong, he was a bit slow when guarding defenders straight up. They got by him with their first step. He was able to use his size and length and came from behind to block 1 shot, but generally this was his weakness. He also needs to work on fighting through screens as he went under the screen. This may have been due to his knowledge of the man he was guarding, who did not attempt to shoot 3's off screens.

ROOM FOR GROWTH:

1. He needs to add some muscle. The plus is that he has the frame to do this.
  2. I would like to see him develop his passing, especially off the dribble.
  3. Defending his man one-on-one. He is quick in the open court but needs to work on his initial step to keep up with his man.

OVERALL:

While I wanted a pass first "true point guard," I am very excited about Jermaine. I am happier than I thought I would be. He can really stroke the 3. Since it was an all-star game, the players did not go to the locker room at half and were shooting around for 15 minutes. He displayed amazing form. He was one of the few guys who took the time to shoot throughout the entire break rather than talking and basically hanging out with the guys. He focuse on his 3. He shot over 50% from beyond the arc during this shoot around. He is very tall and I look forward to learning his wingspan, as it appears to be above average for his size/position. He can definitely handle the ball and I look forward to watching this kid grow. I would be shocked if he doesn't log at least 10 min per game next season, and potentially more. I was skeptical going in, but have high hopes for Jermaine. He will be a great player for us in time. Again, being a freshman point guard is a tough transition. If he can limit turnovers, improve his man D, and learn to pass of the dribble, the sky is the limit because he can flat out stroke it. I am impressed with the hustle and just hope that his knee(s) can hold up with his aggressive play.

Very good get for Crews and Co. There is no way he is a 2-star. Definitely an under-the-radar potential diamond in the rough. That said, let's not blow this out of proportion guys, improvements need to be made, this is an INCREDIBLY SMALL sample size, and the transition to a college pg is tough.

Without further ado, I was able to watch the kid play! First, let me provide the context of the game. This was an NYC ALL-STAR game for seniors. That said, the kids surprisingly seemed to really want to win, they played hard, and actually hustled and played D. In fact, it was quite a refreshing change from the typical all-star game.

Now, let’s start with the physical attributes. I was impressed. I am 5’11” and I stood about 3 feet from Jermaine as he was casually shooting some 3s at halftime. He is AT LEAST 6’1”. If I had to guess, I would have said 6’2”. He is also cut for a kid his age but definitely has the frame to add muscle, which he will have to do in time.

I arrived a few minutes into the game and did not see Jermaine’s 1st quarter play, but his team was up 15 when I arrived and he was on the bench (both teams played their starters and then subbed that line for the backups; generally, lines played at the same time and they matched up the best lines against each other). In the second quarter Jermaine was 0-4 (0-3 from 3) with 1 turnover. That said, he played solid D, used his length to deny desure buie the ball. He was very solid defending the inbounds throughout the game as well, again very good with ball denial. His one turnover came off of a pick where he attacked the hoop, was surrounded in traffic, and made a poor pass.

In the 2nd half he definitely turned it on and shot 4/10 with 3 assists. 3 of his 4 makes were from downtown. He definitely loves the 3 ball. His other bucket was on what I thought was one of his more impressive plays. His team was down 5 with 2 to play, he showed that he wants the ball in his hands and wants to take the shots in the clutch. He came off a screen, attacked the rack with a quick cut to the hoop and used his strength and size advantage to draw a hard foul and get the and-1. HE ALSO HITS HIS FREE THROWS. 4/5 from what I saw!

Jermaine had 3 assists. But, to be honest, they were not so impressive. All 3 were to Matt Ryan, the Notre Dame recruit. 2 of the 3 were simple passes to Ryan who was trailing on the play and nailed very deep 3’s. The 3rd was another pass to Ryan who pump faked, side stepped and drained a deep 2.

THE POSITIVES:

He hustles on D. May not be the best defender when his man has the ball, but 1) his ball denial was great and 2) he hustled for and dove for 2 loose balls, one where he flat out dove for the save.

To me, his most impressive play came off an inbound where the opposition suddenly decided to press. Jermaine single handedly took the ball up displaying insane handle. He loves the behind the back dribble and uses his big frame and length to spin through defenders. He took on 3 guys with relative ease and had zero help. His handle was fantastic.

He is a leader. Even in this all-star game, it was clear that when he stood on the court, the ball would go through him and that his team and the opposition knew he was the leader. Best player was Matt Ryan, but Jermaine was the leader.

THE DOWNSIDE:

He is a shoot first point guard. The main question on this board has been whether he is a “true point guard.” Based on the limited sample size I saw during this all-star game, I would say he is a true point in that he has legitimate handle. He is NOT a true point if you define true point as a pass first pg. He is a bit tall for a “true point.” He is more of today’s point guard in that he is long and looks for his shot before that of his team.

While his ball denial was very strong, he was a bit slow when guarding defenders straight up. They got by him with their first step. He was able to use his size and length and came from behind to block 1 shot, but generally this was his weakness. He also needs to work on fighting through screens as he went under the screen. This may have been due to his knowledge of the man he was guarding, who did not attempt to shoot 3's off screens.

ROOM FOR GROWTH:

3. Defending his man one-on-one. He is quick in the open court but needs to work on his initial step to keep up with his man.

OVERALL:

While I wanted a pass first "true point guard," I am very excited about Jermaine. I am happier than I thought I would be. He can really stroke the 3. Since it was an all-star game, the players did not go to the locker room at half and were shooting around for 15 minutes. He displayed amazing form. He was one of the few guys who took the time to shoot throughout the entire break rather than talking and basically hanging out with the guys. He focuse on his 3. He shot over 50% from beyond the arc during this shoot around. He is very tall and I look forward to learning his wingspan, as it appears to be above average for his size/position. He can definitely handle the ball and I look forward to watching this kid grow. I would be shocked if he doesn't log at least 10 min per game next season, and potentially more. I was skeptical going in, but have high hopes for Jermaine. He will be a great player for us in time. Again, being a freshman point guard is a tough transition. If he can limit turnovers, improve his man D, and learn to pass of the dribble, the sky is the limit because he can flat out stroke it. I am impressed with the hustle and just hope that his knee(s) can hold up with his aggressive play.

Very good get for Crews and Co. There is no way he is a 2-star. Definitely an under-the-radar potential diamond in the rough. That said, let's not blow this out of proportion guys, improvements need to be made, this is an INCREDIBLY SMALL sample size, and the transition to a college pg is tough.

I will keep my feet on the ground till we see him tickling the twines at the Chaif but he sounds better than a 2 star.

THE POSITIVES:

THE DOWNSIDE:

ROOM FOR GROWTH:

OVERALL:

Your description makes me think of a taller KM. I wouldn't worry about his getting beat off the dribble if the effort is there. It can probably be corrected with coaching and is more of a technique issue than anything else. His 1st step defending is probably straight across and slide rather than a drop and slide.

I think he was hurt last summer, a knee contusion, so that info was from two summers ago. His high school coach says he is a very good jump shot shooter so I will take his report over some guy that probably saw him once.

I think people get to caught up in labels. Jett, Mitchel, and McCall weren't classic point guards and they did, ok.

My bad. Phone autosuggestion put in summer instead of season in my original post.

Now, lets start with the physical attributes. I was impressed. I am 511 and I stood about 3 feet from Jermaine as he was casually shooting some 3s at halftime. He is AT LEAST 61. If I had to guess, I would have said 62. He is also cut for a kid his age but definitely has the frame to add muscle, which he will have to do in time.

I arrived a few minutes into the game and did not see Jermaines 1st quarter play, but his team was up 15 when I arrived and he was on the bench (both teams played their starters and then subbed that line for the backups; generally, lines played at the same time and they matched up the best lines against each other). In the second quarter Jermaine was 0-4 (0-3 from 3) with 1 turnover. That said, he played solid D, used his length to deny desure buie the ball. He was very solid defending the inbounds throughout the game as well, again very good with ball denial. His one turnover came off of a pick where he attacked the hoop, was surrounded in traffic, and made a poor pass.

Jermaine had 3 assists. But, to be honest, they were not so impressive. All 3 were to Matt Ryan, the Notre Dame recruit. 2 of the 3 were simple passes to Ryan who was trailing on the play and nailed very deep 3s. The 3rd was another pass to Ryan who pump faked, side stepped and drained a deep 2.

THE POSITIVES:

THE DOWNSIDE:

He is a shoot first point guard. The main question on this board has been whether he is a true point guard. Based on the limited sample size I saw during this all-star game, I would say he is a true point in that he has legitimate handle. He is NOT a true point if you define true point as a pass first pg. He is a bit tall for a true point. He is more of todays point guard in that he is long and looks for his shot before that of his team.

ROOM FOR GROWTH:

• He needs to add some muscle. The plus is that he has the frame to do this.
  • I would like to see him develop his passing, especially off the dribble.
  • Defending his man one-on-one. He is quick in the open court but needs to work on his initial step to keep up with his man.
OVERALL:

This sounds promising, I will assume you are an enlightened MBM.... Thanks for the insight

I remember a lively conversation where we debated whether a scoring point guard could be classified as a pure point. But the consensus was that it was more important that a guard brought certain skills we lack (handles, ability to guard quick guards) than it was for him to fit a basketball purist's definition of point guard.

We can see the handles from the videos. We'll have to wait and see about the defense.

The thing with a pass first point guard (which I prefer) is he has to be teamed with players that can score. Doesn't matter what your vision is if you are surrounded by guys that can't finish. Also as long as we run a pretty basic motion offense the need for a true pass first creative pg is somewhat diminished. I'll take a group of 3 combo guards like Jett, McCall, or KM all day though