OT: Steve Lanvin out at St. Johns

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2015/3/30/8313859/gregg-marshall-alabama-interview-texas-longhorns-interest

Reports of Shaka being very interested and of Marshall being interested in UT.

Imagine Havoc aka Gimmick ran with some top 25 level recruits.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would Havoc consistently work at the highest echelons of college basketball? It seems like the best teams could pick it apart and get easy layups - same reason why pro teams dont press.

I guess for a casual fan, its fun to watch. Reminds me of a game of keep-away.

Except for that one year his NCAA Tourney record is not great. It works when you are going up against inexperienced or un-talented guards.

Would Havoc consistently work at the highest echelons of college basketball? It seems like the best teams could pick it apart and get easy layups - same reason why pro teams dont press.

Aside from Kentucky and Florida, the SEC teams are not the upper echelon. Also, mike anderson and arkansas run similar schemes.

Louisville also runs a full court pressure defense and they seem to do okay. Shaka would definitely have to adapt/tweak his defense to succeed. In years past, Havoc has compensated for a lack of skill on the offensive end with regard to half court sets. At someplace like Texas I wonder if Havoc would be toned down a bit since Shaka would be able to recruit at a higher level.

Marshall and Smart are the only two being consistently mentioned for the UT job and every now and then Utah Coach K gets a nod. Smart beat Self's KU w/ Havoc in the tourney when KU was a 1 seed. Marshall also just beat KU. In the Big 12 that's who you're gunning for and I think either of these guys at UT could get it done and then Self will really be on the hot seat for underperforming.

Wonder which one of those guys could convince Myles Turner to stay in school? Guy surprised everyone by announcing for the draft on youtube.

George Mason hired Bucknell coach Dave Paulsen 3x Patriot League COY and took the Bison to the NCAA twice.

Marshall and Smart are the only two being consistently mentioned for the UT job and every now and then Utah Coach K gets a nod. Smart beat Self's KU w/ Havoc in the tourney when KU was a 1 seed. Marshall also just beat KU. In the Big 12 that's who you're gunning for and I think either of these guys at UT could get it done and then Self will really be on the hot seat for underperforming.

Wonder which one of those guys could convince Myles Turner to stay in school? Guy surprised everyone by announcing for the draft on youtube.

George Mason hired Bucknell coach Dave Paulsen 3x Patriot League COY and took the Bison to the NCAA twice.

That is a good hire for Mason. He can flat out coach. I guess the long term question is if he can recruit at this level, but Mason just became a better basketball team.

I talked with my brother last night ... he's more than a UT mbm and gets some pretty good inside info. He says there is a strong faction of boosters that prefer Shaka. Personally I don't like the style of play and would prefer to see Smart. I was told Bama has a 6 yr 24 mil offer out to Marshall

Ben Jacobson signs a new 10 year contract with Northern Iowa. Sounds like the Panthers are in it to win it with facility upgrades in the works. Apparently, he likes it in quite fine in Cedar Falls.

Who would you rather have, no argument about probability here just choice, Brad Stevens or Greg Marshall?

Stevens, the NBA stint is a selling point with recruits and I think Stevens is ahead of the game when it comes to analytics.

Who would you rather have, no argument about probability here just choice, Brad Stevens or Greg Marshall?

Stevens without a doubt. He's 14 years younger, been in the NBA, has more Final Fours, won at least 22 games every year at Butler with an average of 27.6 wins per year. Marshall is a great coach, but I don't think he really compares.

Tough choice. I'm not sure how much clout an unsuccessful NBA run has. I'd probably lean to Stevens though by a small margin.

The big 10 doesn't have ten the a10 doesn't have 10. It's just a number

The Big 6/8/12 in particular used to change the name every time the size of the league changed. It would cause all sorts of confusion to start calling the Big 12 the Big 10 and the Big 10 the Big 14, but I'm not sure what it would hurt to change A-10 to A-14.

Brad Stevens has cemented his reputation for doing a lot more with less. The problem is once you've developed that reputation, the NBA front office rarely gives you a top tier roster to work with. If you're Larry Brown, you just switch to another job when you get bored. If you're Lenny Wilkins, you never get a shot at winning multiple titles.