I Guess It's "Go S-V-U" Today

Taj79

Cannot and will not root for gimmick. Frankly, I don't see how Dayton stays with them but I expected Dayton to crash a long time ago and that didn't happen. Watch today be the day.

Hate SVU fans but I grown fond of Archie. His Final 8 last year, how he handled suspensions and this year putting together a nice season with just 7 scholarship players. Think he really good coach and could be better then his brother. Also, thought he was short changed on COY honors.

Hate SVU fans but I grown fond of Archie. His Final 8 last year, how he handled suspensions and this year putting together a nice season with just 7 scholarship players. Think he really good coach and could be better then his brother. Also, thought he was short changed on COY honors.

Archie winning as much as possible this year means maybe he will leave for greener pastures. Then Dayton can go back to having coaches again like Purnell and Gregory.

Last year I had the pleasure of getting to meet Archie when they played out in Maui. As a SLU fan it is difficult to admit, but the passion he has for his program is infectious and he will be a high-major coach soon. I'll be rooting for Dayton today mainly because of Archie, but also because the narrative of VCU in A10 tournaments is comical.

First off, their recrutis are much higher rated than ours, if you believe that kind of stuff. Melvin Johnson was a four-star recruit. Lewis 3.3 stars. Brooks 3. Burgess 4. Of the current freshmen, Williams was a 3. Larrier 4. Tillman 3.7 and Gilmore 3.3. The higest guy on our entire roster is Yacoubou at 3.3. Mack and Williams, two guys coming in for Shaka next year, are four-star recruits. Conversely, both Welmer and Neufeld are two-star recrutis.

Sure, let the bashing begin. Let the usual naysayers point out that these recruting rankings are all subjective, about how kids that sign with us are automatically downgraded because of that signing. I don't have a counter argument. It just is what it is. It could be right, it could be wrong. You can win with these lower ranked recruits as Majerus proved. You just have to have the right mix and mental attitude on the team to make it happen. Or the right coach to develop it. Those are the larger questions we need answered right now.

First off, their recrutis are much higher rated than ours, if you believe that kind of stuff. Melvin Johnson was a four-star recruit. Lewis 3.3 stars. Brooks 3. Burgess 4. Of the current freshmen, Williams was a 3. Larrier 4. Tillman 3.7 and Gilmore 3.3. The higest guy on our entire roster is Yacoubou at 3.3. Mack and Williams, two guys coming in for Shaka next year, are four-star recruits. Conversely, both Welmer and Neufeld are two-star recrutis.

Sure, let the bashing begin. Let the usual naysayers point out that these recruting rankings are all subjective, about how kids that sign with us are automatically downgraded because of that signing. I don't have a counter argument. It just is what it is. It could be right, it could be wrong. You can win with these lower ranked recruits as Majerus proved. You just have to have the right mix and mental attitude on the team to make it happen. Or the right coach to develop it. Those are the larger questions we need answered right now.

Taj.

As always, an informative post. And even under RM, our Frosh often played (sometimes by default), often contributed but most took time to develop -- normal for 2 and 3 star recruits. Kwamain may have had the best the freshman year for us under RM, but in fairness, playing PG all year long and having Lisch and Liddell on your left and right sure makes the break in to D1 ball easier. Again, could have Frosh have been even better than they were? Sure. But the problem really wasn't the Frosh. And the Frosh would have had an easier break in for us if our veterans had stepped up their game.

Why are people so opposed to rooting for VCU and Havoc ("gimmick")?

It's not a gimmick if it works.

Since Smart has arrived, VCU's record currently looks like this:

2009-2010: 27-9 (CBI Champs, remember that?)

2010-2011: 28-12 (Final Four)

2011-2012: 29-7 (1-1 in Tournament)

2012-2013: 27-9 (1-1 in Tournament)

2013-2014: 26-9 (0-1 in Tournament)

2014-2015: 26-9 (NCAA Tournament)

Total: 163-55 (.748), 7-4 in NCAA Tournament

Shaka Smart seems like a good dude, and is definitely a pretty smart, driven guy. It seems like a clean program; I can't think of any scandals or players getting into trouble since he's taken the helm.

What am I missing?

It's not the full court press itself that annoys people; it's the Darren Rovell-esque "branding" effort that's insufferable. It's one thing to always press; it's another to NAME your press with a gimmicky slogan; and it's still another to paste that gimmicky slogan on everything from buses to warmup jerseys. That's the only thing that has ever annoyed me about Shaka and VCU.

I get that. It's a little annoying.

But it works! The players are buying what Smart is selling. That clearly wasn't happening within our program this season. Regardless of personnel turnover at VCU, they've remained in the high-20-win range and single-digit-loss range.

It's not the full court press itself that annoys people; it's the Darren Rovell-esque "branding" effort that's insufferable. It's one thing to always press; it's another to NAME your press with a gimmicky slogan; and it's still another to paste that gimmicky slogan on everything from buses to warmup jerseys. That's the only thing that has ever annoyed me about Shaka and VCU.

That slogan has helped sell the program to recruits and helped the program remain in the spot light.

That slogan has helped sell the program to recruits and helped the program remain in the spot light.

Not sure I agree there. I tend to think the Final Four run had a lot more to do with all that than putting the slogan on the bus and the warmup jerseys. But even if it did help them, I still find it annoying and can certainly understand why others do.

If coming up with a catchphrase for your defense and putting your slogan on the uniforms really makes such a huge difference, then maybe we should forget about recruiting more guards and focus on putting Majerus' face and "BBQ sauce" on the back of our warmups like I suggested a while back.