Alarming Statistics

Tonka

I only went back to the 1996/97 season, but in those 19 years this year's team was the ONLY team to not have at least one person on the roster averaging at least 2 assists per game. Davell Roby led the team in assists and averaged just 1.8 assists per game this season. Even crazier than that, there was only one other Billiken team in those 19 years that didn't average at least 2 players with at least 2 assists per game. In fact, most of the Billiken teams in the past 19 years averaged 2 or 3 players averaging 2 assists or more per game. Take what you want from that statistic, but this stat says a lot about our offense or lack thereof. I would bet you would be hard pressed to find any team in the past 50 years that didn't have at least one player average at least 2 assists per game.

Rebounding - same thing. I only went back to the 1996/97 season, but in those 19 years this year's team was the ONLY team to not have at least one person averaging 5 rebounds or more. Yarbrough and Ash tied with 4.8 rebounds each per game. While they were close to 5, most of the teams in the past 19 years had two or more averaging 5 or more.

On another note, in the past 19 seasons there has only been one other season that a guard either led or tied for the lead in rebounding. Ash tied with MY at 4.8 boards a game. The only other time that happened is one year where Tommie Liddell led the team in rebounding as a guard. I think this says a lot about Ash's ability, but also how weak our big guys were on the glass. In the last 5 games Reggie Agbeko averaged 7.4 boards a game and these were games where he was seeing more time. I think next year he will be a big contributor on the glass.

We had no post presence whatsoever, no one who could slash to the glass, and a bunch of brick masons from the floor. Not many assists to be had in those circumstances.

The stats are what they are. No denying the numbers. But in his last 10 games Agbeko averaged 5.5 boards per game and as you said 7.4 over his last 5 games. Certainly he is a building block for the future. His boards per 40 minutes for the year (10.0) exceeded Ash (7.2) and Milik (8.0).

This team averaged 12.2 assists per game. Worse was the 1996-97 team (Harris' senior year) at 11.6 apg, 2008-2009 (Liddell and Lisch senior year) at 11.8 apg, 2005-2006 (Drejaj's senior year ) at 12.1 apg, and tied with our 1999-2000 NCAA team, as well as 2002-2003 (Sodie's first year).