A10 in Brooklyn Thursday 3/12

Taj79

La Salle takes down Umass 76 to 69.

Fordham giving VCU a run down 1 under 10 minutes to go. Jion Severe playing in this one as Eric Padchall still out with high ankle sprain. Severe has 11 to Mandell Thomas' 12. Go FORDHAM Rams!

Fordham-VCU was an interesting game from the officiating standpoint ...

What exactly is a foul against Gimmick? Gimmick plays up to what the refs let it get away, hand check, push, hack, shove, body slam. Offensive rebounds are much easier when you can just push your opponent out of the way. Dribble drive penetration can be stopped when you can hack the ball handler.

And yet Sengfelder and Severe were both saddled to the bench with 4 fouls, with Paschall out injured. Severe got poked in the eye, no foul. No eye detachment, no foul against Gimmick, only in the A10.

Fordham led 49-44, but was playing 5 on 8 down the stretch, even in its home city.

Hopefully they won't be the only alternative to VCU and Dayton. La Salle was one team I thought might be able to make a run at the autobid.

It will be real interesting what happens to Richmond if/when (more likely when if you ask me) they beat VCU today. Lunardi has him among the first 8 out and their RPI is nothing special but they'll have gone 3-0 against VCU and will be playing hot down the stretch.

VCU on the other hand is living off their first half of the season success and look like an easy out in the first round of the dance.

I wonder if Rhode Island can sneak itself to an at-large bid. If they beat GW but then lose to the winner of Dayton-SBU, their RPI will be in the low 40s. Along with a 13-5 conference record, that would generally be enough to grab a bid. Their big issue is they don't have any signature wins. No wins against top 50 opponents, with their best one against Richmond. They've stayed clear of devastating losses, with their worst being to St. Joes and Georgia Tech (bad, but not horrendous). Obviously, with a loss to GW they have no chance, but a win could make four (even five, depending on VCU/Richmond outcome) teams from the A-10 a real possibility.

VCU just isn't a tournament team without Weber. They'll get in and can win with the right matchup, but they just aren't even close to the same team.

Yeah, I feel bad for them. That injury has shown to be a monumental loss for them.

Dayton has a pretty easy road with St. Bonaventure and then the GW-Rhody winner. Richmond's road is much tougher, with VCU and then Davidson.

But yeah, if Richmond wins this one, who knows...

I wonder if Rhode Island can sneak itself to an at-large bid. If they beat GW but then lose to the winner of Dayton-SBU, their RPI will be in the low 40s. Along with a 13-5 conference record, that would generally be enough to grab a bid. Their big issue is they don't have any signature wins. No wins against top 50 opponents, with their best one against Richmond. They've stayed clear of devastating losses, with their worst being to St. Joes and Georgia Tech (bad, but not horrendous). Obviously, with a loss to GW they have no chance, but a win could make four teams from the A-10 a real possibility.

If Richmond and RI meet in the finals, it seems possible the A-10 could actually get five teams in. Probably a better chance if RI wins and gets the autobid.

If Richmond and RI meet in the finals, it seems possible the A-10 could actually get five teams in. Probably a better chance if RI wins and gets the autobid.

This would certainly be interesting. I wonder what happens to Richmond if they win today and lose tomorrow. I also wonder just how many wins RI would need to make it. I don't think 1 more win is enough. There's certainly a lot of intrigue left in this conference (as opposed to, say, the Big East, where it's just a matter of seeds at this point).