GDT - Spiders Spin Web - Net Victory

The live stats for George Mason (road) said the same thing. So we could dispute that one too.

If it went in the book as a Southeastern Louisiana loss, then so be it.

If SLU can drop both the @Mason and @Richmond losses, due to stats technicalities, then SLU is 11-18, 3-13 right now, and guaranteed not to lose 20 games!

Are we on to something?

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything is clear. The game evidently didn't happen.

Stamos must have known something. Evidently like the Billikens, he wasn't at tonight's game either.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/fans-visiting-full-house-house-213000392.html

Tonight's GDT thread should self-destruct in 5 seconds. The Secretary will disavow any knowledge of this thread.

I noticed that as well. Crews wasn't happy

I saw that also. What Jolly gave me was a PTSD flashback of Grawer's last year and the Ekker years. Is Crews losing control of the team?

I recall when some one from the student section threw something on the floor (I think it was a Dayton game), Majerus got on the PA and said " if this happens again, I am forfeiting the game, I don't care". Nothing happened after that. Many of laugh when we only scored 20 against GW. If anyone recalls, the team had a 11 day lay-off holiday break with no school before that game. Knowing Majerus he made those 11 days like Seal Training, made boot camp at Parris Island look like a day at the beach. You tear them down and build them back up. Later that season we beat GW by 25. I don't know if Crews is capable of doing that or showing any type of team management style. I certainly cannot figure out his game strategy.

JCs two COY awards came with a pre fab team where he could step back and just watch. Make sure travel plans went smoothly and the uniforms were washed. This year required a totally different mind set, ie be a real coach. After watching just about every game this season, it looks like he forgot how to coach. They say, the best thing about FR is they become SOPHs, but if they're still not buying whatever it is your selling, you'll likely end up with the same old same old.

JCs two COY awards came with a pre fab team where he could step back and just watch. Make sure travel plans went smoothly and the uniforms were washed. This year required a totally different mind set, ie be a real coach. After watching just about every game this season, it looks like he forgot how to coach. They say, the best thing about FR is they become SOPHs, but if they're still not buying whatever it is your selling, you'll likely end up with the same old same old.

That is an overly harsh assessment of the last two seasons.

That is an overly harsh assessment of the last two seasons.

No, it's really not. I am much harder on Crews than 72's analysis.

Jim Crews did a good job leading a tournament-level team to the tournament. That's good. What has happened this year...that's bad. The RM team that JC coached after Coach Majerus passed...JC did well with those kids. This year, not so much.

Harsh or not, that perception becomes the reality. Is it fair? Probably not but it is there as low-hanging fruit.

I do not believe Crews forgot how to coach. I do believe it was on auto-pilot the last two years. I also believe a lot of blame needs to go on the roster if they were failing to comprehend the game plan as has been described in places before.

Crews gets way too much credit for the last 2 years by some. I also think he gets too much blame for this year.

Yes he recruited the team but I truly believe that even if he has a plan and system (debatable), the current guys are not buying in and letting us see it.

I heard a couple months ago that some of the guys were upset with the staff that they didn't have an immediate fix for our losing. The staff said it took time. When they didn't see immediate differences in our play, they jumped off the train.

Coaches don't forget how to coach. If you're committed to playing a certain way, you have to bring in the players to do that.

If you want to screen, shoot jumpers and play tough man to man, you bring in kids who are well versed in at least two of those skills. You don't bring in guys who can only do one, or in the case of one guy, none at all. You're just going to cause yourself problems. There isn't time during a basketball season to fill in that many gaps in one kid's game, let alone five kids.

A number of the younger successful coaches are resorting to high school offenses: Trap and pressure the ball to turn you over, leading to transition buckets. They bring in enough athletes to play that way. Their halfcourt offense often consists of one legitimate scorer and a bunch of long leapers crashing the boards. Since most mid majors don't have the ability to recruit athletes who are also all around basketball players, it makes a lot of sense. If SLU were to hire a young coach at some point, that's likely the offense we would see.

Crews is coming back next season, I actually think we owe him that. I be highly surprised if May has a press conference late Wednesday afternoon announcing we need to take the program in another direction. If we did May and Pestello would really shock me. We are not that type of school. 2 times we did do that, the hiring of 2 established successful coaches, Spoon and Majerus. Circumstances for Spoon was, Grawer lost control of the players and he could not compete in Great Midwest and with Majerus I think had to do more with money. Fr Larry needed donors for the Chaifetz. I do think if we have a repeat season, it would be impossible to keep Crews.

The problem isn't Crews forgot how to coach. He was never more than an average coach. With us he has been a disengaged average coach.

It isn't time to give him for the prior two seasons, but ask how many games he cost us during those two seasons.

Crews is coming back next season, I actually think we owe him that. I be highly surprised if May has a press conference late Wednesday afternoon announcing we need to take the program in another direction. If we did May and Pestello would really shock me. We are not that type of school. 2 times we did do that, the hiring of 2 established successful coaches, Spoon and Majerus. Circumstances for Spoon was, Grawer lost control of the players and he could not compete in Great Midwest and with Majerus I think had to do more with money. Fr Larry needed donors for the Chaifetz. I do think if we have a repeat season, it would be impossible to keep Crews.

Crews has lost control of the team and we are in last place in the A10.

The problem isn't Crews forgot how to coach. He was never more than an average coach. With us he has been a disengaged average coach.

It isn't time to give him for the prior two seasons, but ask how many games he cost us during those two seasons.

Crews has lost control of the team and we are in last place in the A10.

Give it a rest.

24/7 you make ass-of-self just pounding Crews. Every couple of posts on every thread you force in a Crews smear.

It is obvious that something is wrong, I have no inside info but the team was making progress and now has collapsed the last several games, so I suspect there are players who are not on board and in conflict with Crews. It could be very deep, we do not know. Maybe a few are leaving and everyone knows it and it disrupts the team chemistry. We shall see.

But you continue to place the blame entirely on Crews, and you have no way of knowing that other than your amateur petty observations.

To think all of our 18 - 20 year old players are solid as a rock but the veteran successful experienced coach is the whole problem is assinine.

Roby is a player, Agbeko has developed, Crawford has developed, Yarbrough is top notch but often out of control, as is Yacoubou.

GIllmann and Jolly are freshmen bigs, we always knew they were high potential projects, not to be counted on yet, they need strength conditioning. No PG has emerged thus far, that has been a huge factor, unfortunately.

I am disappointed, too, but wise enough to know that we should improve next year and I am not going to panic.

Did Conklin improve after his freshman year? Evans? Loe? Ellis? Remekum? McCall? Sure they were Majerus kids, but let's see how these young Billikens do next year.

So stop stinking up this board.

No, it's really not. I am much harder on Crews than 72's analysis.

Jim Crews did a good job leading a tournament-level team to the tournament. That's good. What has happened this year...that's bad. The RM team that JC coached after Coach Majerus passed...JC did well with those kids. This year, not so much.

I think you actually just agreed with me. Slu72, who is a great fan, was talking about the two COY seasons harshly. Your assessment and mine on those two seasons are essentially the same.