GDT - Spiders Spin Web - Net Victory

I think you actually just agreed with me. Slu72, who is a great fan, was talking about the two COY seasons harshly. Your assessment and mine on those two seasons are essentially the same.

Well, I don't usually agree with people, so that's a new thing.

I am very harsh on Jim Crews and the job he has done...but what good does it really do?

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When looking at the landscape of the A10, it is a league where experience matters. SLU this season was lacking in that department. I think people are quick to forget that many of the other teams have guys who have been through this before. Yes, people will say that they aren't freshman anymore, but I don't buy that. We were not physically able to match up with some teams because an improvement is needed in body development. That, plus the lack of chemistry that an experienced team provides, really made for some poor games. Crews is not to blame for the fact that we simply had a stacked deck against us. We are not Duke, Kentucky, or Kansas. There are no 5 stars walking in our door every year (except for FBJT) so it is important to have some perspective. The kids will be fine and I personally am looking forward to seeing them develop into a quality team. Remeber, sometimes before things get better, they have to get worse. That is what this stretch of games seems to be. It should light a fire going into the off-season if the guys can stick together, which I believe they will.

The problem isn't Crews forgot how to coach. He was never more than an average coach. With us he has been a disengaged average coach.

It isn't time to give him for the prior two seasons, but ask how many games he cost us during those two seasons.

I sit almost directly behind where Crews stands during games. He may be a lot of things, but disengaged is not one that comes to mind.

My opinion is not that Crews has lost 'the team", but that a few players have perhaps revolted. I think that has led to divisions within the team. I think it shows during the game. Even the best coach or manager struggles under that type of situation.

JC is the same coach who almost beat VCU and GW. it was shortly thereafter that things really began to go south. And this was also close to the time of the MY quotes which definitely may have alienated some of his teammates.

When looking at the landscape of the A10, it is a league where experience matters. SLU this season was lacking in that department. I think people are quick to forget that many of the other teams have guys who have been through this before. Yes, people will say that they aren't freshman anymore, but I don't buy that. We were not physically able to match up with some teams because an improvement is needed in body development. That, plus the lack of chemistry that an experienced team provides, really made for some poor games. Crews is not to blame for the fact that we simply had a stacked deck against us. We are not Duke, Kentucky, or Kansas. There are no 5 stars walking in our door every year (except for FBJT) so it is important to have some perspective. The kids will be fine and I personally am looking forward to seeing them develop into a quality team. Remeber, sometimes before things get better, they have to get worse. That is what this stretch of games seems to be. It should light a fire going into the off-season if the guys can stick together, which I believe they will.

Nobody thought we were Duke, kansas, or Kentucky. Having one of the worst teams in Division 1 is really hard to do at a school like SLU.

Give it a rest.

24/7 you make ass-of-self just pounding Crews. Every couple of posts on every thread you force in a Crews smear.

It is obvious that something is wrong, I have no inside info but the team was making progress and now has collapsed the last several games, so I suspect there are players who are not on board and in conflict with Crews. It could be very deep, we do not know. Maybe a few are leaving and everyone knows it and it disrupts the team chemistry. We shall see.

But you continue to place the blame entirely on Crews, and you have no way of knowing that other than your amateur petty observations.

To think all of our 18 - 20 year old players are solid as a rock but the veteran successful experienced coach is the whole problem is assinine.

Roby is a player, Agbeko has developed, Crawford has developed, Yarbrough is top notch but often out of control, as is Yacoubou.

GIllmann and Jolly are freshmen bigs, we always knew they were high potential projects, not to be counted on yet, they need strength conditioning. No PG has emerged thus far, that has been a huge factor, unfortunately.

I am disappointed, too, but wise enough to know that we should improve next year and I am not going to panic.

Did Conklin improve after his freshman year? Evans? Loe? Ellis? Remekum? McCall? Sure they were Majerus kids, but let's see how these young Billikens do next year.

So stop stinking up this board.

+1 the team showed a lot of potential early in conference play (VCU, GW, RI) but this is a team where there is something going on in the locker room.

Also, someone pointed out the JOlly "not listening" to Crews in the first after he got his third. I think that's almost natural to not listen after you know you effed up. Like you're already yelling at yourself, so you don't wanna hear it from someone else

I'd rather have four years of players who are good fits for the offense and defense the coach wants to employ, whoever the coach is.

If Crews can fix his recruiting missteps, great. One year of Tatum isn't going to fix our long term issues or even lead us to the Final Four in the short term. One year of Durant didn't deliver them to the promised land at Texas, one year of Beasley didn't fix Kansas State. Program building doesn't work that way.

I sit almost directly behind where Crews stands during games. He may be a lot of things, but disengaged is not one that comes to mind.

My opinion is not that Crews has lost 'the team", but that a few players have perhaps revolted. I think that has led to divisions within the team. I think it shows during the game. Even the best coach or manager struggles under that type of situation.

JC is the same coach who almost beat VCU and GW. it was shortly thereafter that things really began to go south. And this was also close to the time of the MY quotes which definitely may have alienated some of his teammates.

+1 the team showed a lot of potential early in conference play (VCU, GW, RI) but this is a team where there is something going on in the locker room.

A few tweaks, a few new players, and with the talent we have and the coaching we have we will be respectable next year.

Again, it depends upon how deep the locker room issues are, but if the right players stay here and jell, we should get back to 20 wins next season, assuming a similar schedule.

We shall see.

On his own show he stated we have normally been a good free throw shooting team in trying to explain why he refuses to place anyone on the lane when we shoot free throws. We have never been a good free throw shooting team under Crews and if you don't believe me look at the numbers. The fact that Crews doesn't realize this shows he isn't engaged.

Being a engaged head coach is 24 hour a day job. It involves a lot more than just looking busy during the game. The stuff away from the game is actually more important.

I'd rather have four years of players who are good fits for the offense and defense the coach wants to employ, whoever the coach is.

If Crews can fix his recruiting missteps, great. One year of Tatum isn't going to fix our long term issues or even lead us to the Final Four in the short term. One year of Durant didn't deliver them to the promised land at Texas, one year of Beasley didn't fix Kansas State. Program building doesn't work that way.

One year of Tatum doesn't guarantee anything, but if Cook comes with he is not a one and done most likely. The big thing Tatum could bring is an ambassador for future high profile recruits from the St.Louis area. It sounds a little unrealistic but that can help tremendously. According to many of the Chicago radio personalities, that was a key aspect of Duke's pitch to Okafor. They could point to Jabari and say "we know how to handle this."

Does anyone think that Mason, Fordham, or the Dukes are just a few tweaks and a couple of players that are not top 100 recruits away from being respectable? Because they are all better basketball teams than us right now.

The denial of certain elements on this Board, which is a sample size of the fanbase and probably a microcosm of SLU itself, is astounding.

This SLU team has been noncompetitive in 6 of the last 7 games.

However, this is Basketball, and in Basketball a team is only a couple of star players away from being good again.

This being said, my vote is that the fans stop throwing the freshmen players under the bus. These are the players this Coach recruited. This Coach put in the systems on offense and defense that his own recruits are unable to play. No significant adjustments were made during the season, as things unraveled, in either the offense or the defense. Ultimately, the Buck stops with the Coach.

One year of Tatum doesn't guarantee anything, but if Cook comes with he is not a one and done most likely. The big thing Tatum could bring is an ambassador for future high profile recruits from the St.Louis area. It sounds a little unrealistic but that can help tremendously. According to many of the Chicago radio personalities, that was a key aspect of Duke's pitch to Okafor. They could point to Jabari and say "we know how to handle this."

Duke got Okafor because they're Duke. If you want to point to a mid-major model for how to get a local top 100 player (Cook) to come to your school, look at Gonzaga or even VCU: Prove you can develop the lesser talented locals you're already getting. We haven't done that yet.

Total hypothetical here but would you rather have Tatum + Crews for the 2016-17 season or neither?

Seriously? Not even close. Getting Tatum would be a game changer. I don't think it will happen, but definitely a game changer.

The lesson here is never give the keys to the palace to bunch of Freshman at the start of the season like JC did and expect to get it back when things are not going well. That is the problem I see when I look at guys like BJ and MY. Their disdain shows on on the court where it can plainly be seen and when they are off the floor.

In JC's defense the player have to take some responsiblity in their actions off and on the floor specifically when in games with their teammates. If they stay they will have to change but if they go it will still be better for the team together after the same goals. No one person is so great to sacrifice this team for and if guys like MY have quit already on the team and the season enroute to another coaching staff, I wish that staff the best of luck in getting a player that may only be out for himself. The whole situation is an embarrassment for SLU and specifically on this staff.

Players will have to be held accountable for mistakes they make on the floor. But the staff has to evaluate the job they are doing. Even the most seasoned basketball minds can't really figure out what they are trying to accomplish. Establish your system and attempt to impose your system using your strengths on the other team; Make needed adjustments during the game, but don't go completely in a different direction then what the players are used to. You can say players are not trusting the system, but a player can't trust an entirely new gameplan that is designed in the middle of a game. Heck it has nothing to do with trust at that point, it has more to do with players don't know how to run this complete in game revamping of the scheme. Staff makes wholesale changes to the schemes from game to game, which means continuity is not being established. This may be effective with a seasoned team that players all have established roles but you can't do this with a young team that roles are changing every couple minutes. Players soon stop trusting the staff; Players want to be able to lay it all out there for themselves and their coaches but instability with roles, playing time and coaches second guessing their own schemes after a minute or two creates a lack of trust from players standpoint.