Set plays, out of bound plays, etc.

davidnark

I have read a lot of griping about these areas on the board. Am I the only one that believes this is the priority of grade school CYC coaches, and shouldn't be a priority or concern at the D1 level? The reality is most D1 programs have seen and can defend nearly every set play so the priority should be coaching an offensive and defensive system and putting players in the best position to succeed game in and game out. I equate this to special team trick plays in the NFL; you can pull one off once or twice a year, but the staple of your special teams better be speed, blocking, tackling, and effort.

Every time I read someone griping about these areas I have visions of my head of some old guy down at St. Gabe's yelling 3 seconds in the lane.

Every time I read someone griping about these areas I have visions of my head of some old guy down at St. Gabe's yelling 3 seconds in the lane.

This is priceless. If I end up coaching my daughter's CYC team, there is no doubt I'll be using this line.

And I do agree with your thoughts on the inbounds plays.

Lets see, our former Legendary coach, RM, used to talk about using NBA inbounds plays and 90% of teams we play run inbounds plays, but our head coach with a mediocore career winning pct doesn't even attempt to run in bounds plays even when there is less than 10 seconds on the shot clock and we lose 2-3 seconds bringing the ball back across. I wonder which approach makes more sense?

Was pretty funny to see that LaSale had scouted the fact that we don't run inbounds plays and sent a safety back and a few of them got interesting as we had no back up plan. Also as noted above they got a dunk in the game off of an inbounds play under the basket.

Also thought it was genius a few home games ago when we were down 2 with Ash (I think) at the line for a 1 and 1 with less than 10 seconds left in the game and we still only sent one rebounder in. So if the shot would have missed to the other side we would have lost a couple seconds trying to get over to foul, as opposed to fouling right away. I was actually amazed he sent one rebounder down the actually. He seems to be really proud of that strategy that other coaches with better records don't seem to use.

So, I am sitting here watching the Golden State Warriors and the Washington Wizards on my NBA league pass and after I wrote that post I thought to myself, "I bet these teams run inbounds plays". So I rewinded the game to the first inbounds play I could find and......

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=jCEQ2joKOzg

This was literally 5 min ago in this NBA game. I slight cut above CYC.

What this comes down to at some point is coaching styles. I think we can admit that we ultimately got spoiled by RM and of course his success. In his first couple years here many did not get what he was trying to do so they complained about his not adjusting to his players. I am one who does not get the not putting anybody at the foul line thing - I do accept that this not the reason we are losing games so I have kind of just accepted it. However I do agree that the same approach is not suitable in all situations - sometimes you have to put guys on the foul line because the score and time left in the game dictates it. I also don't get the sending everybody on defense over the half court line when the opponent is rolling the ball down the court not using up any time on the clock when they only have a few seconds left in the game to get a shot off. The inbounds play we use is fine except when there is a 8 seconds left on the shot clock then why would you throw the ball over the half court line and then have to hurriedly bring it across and leave yourself 4 seconds to get a shot off. I also do not understand why when we call a time out to put in a play that often we never get the shot off in time since all we did was pass it around. At the end of the game against LaSalle when Roby had the ball with a chance to win the game in regulation, he was looking at the bench for direction and Crews just kept point at him. I assumed it meant take the shot but instead he drives and passes out to AY who threw up an airball 3. We did not need a 3 then - could Crews have called time out - yes he had 2 left. At this point, I have given up trying to understand Crew's approach always but I really do not care what he does just as long as he wins.