GDT: Take Down the Champs

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a solid effort again, this time we get a win after 3 recent gut wretching close losses.

yarborough, yacoubou, and roby are the big 3.

agbeko seems to be developing, we need to post him up in the right situations and we really need his inside presence for rebounding.

gillmann and jolly are playing their 5 roles fairly well for freshmen, both have good hands and feet, both are high potential if they get stronger.

bartley played more under control tonight, you have to like his potential when he hits some 3's you wonder if he can really emerge someday.

crawford was not a big factor tonight but is a key man, should stay in our top 8 rotation.

we are starting to see who can play, and to jell, it's taken longer than expected, we all hoped for better, but this year is for development.

we took it to the hoop more with success, pressured them, if we had hit some 3's we'd have coasted.

so i am not panicking. are you?

This season is about what I expected - serious growing pains, but flashes of the talent most of us knew was there. A .500 record or better would be a very good accomplishment for a team with 8 freshman. I was really surprised by all the people who thought we were definitely in that 144 ranking; we lost five starters! However, the talent and athleticism are definitely there and the future is bright.

Just think if against VCU, GW, and UMass an additional 3 had gone in in each game... Again, despite the frustration (and there will be more) the future is bright!

Ash had a very good game to be that productive while covering Bembry all night. Roby and Ash were on him all night, and made every basket of his a contested shot. Bembry is a stud...

Very nice game by Bartley. Stayed on the court despite the terrible refs, and his drive to give us the lead in regulation was a coming of age moment for the freshman point guard.

Reggie had a very good game, clearly he is learning, suspect Chaney has been working with him.

Jolly had probably his best game, provided a little muscle.....

Overall much of the end of the first half, and the a great deal off the second half had 3 or four freshman on the court. IN fact there was a stretch in the first half that five Freshman were playing together and the lead shrank....Very bright future.

Well guys I read the whole 13 pages of comments, most the first half of them reflecting anger and despair. I was there tonight, the Fetz was about 60% full, lots of empty chairs, but there was enthusiasm and support in the crowd. Lots of boos to the refs. I am delighted that we won and the crowd was also happy as we all filed out of the arena.

I thought Reggie did a wonderful job, particularly that rebound about two minutes into overtime that seemed to tip the game our way. He did a couple of crossovers which scored and his big beefy presence was a plus in rebounding. I though Miles Reynolds did very well. Ash was great, Yarbourough played well, although with glitches, and we are moving on forward. Good for the Bills, may they repeat this type of win many times more. Please remember that we have freshmen guarding experienced upperclassmen, this is a really tough thing to do.

All in all the team, a very young team, continues learning and improving. We are far from perfect but we are getting better. I am very happy after the game tonight.

Ash had a very good game to be that productive while covering Bembry all night. Roby and Ash were on him all night, and made every basket of his a contested shot. Bembry is a stud...

Very nice game by Bartley. Stayed on the court despite the terrible refs, and his drive to give us the lead in regulation was a coming of age moment for the freshman point guard.

Reggie had a very good game, clearly he is learning, suspect Chaney has been working with him.

Overall much of the end of the first half, and the a great deal off the second half had 3 or four freshman on the court. IN fact there was a stretch in the first half that five Freshman were playing together and the lead shrank....Very bright future.

I like that Jolly also brings some intensity. I'm a big Gilllllmannnnn fan, but he always seems much less intense.

-Bembry is pretty damn good

-our table is in dire need of an upgrade

-those refs were awful, simply awful, for both teams, I mean they were bad

-a MUCH needed win, just like after VCU, the important thing is what comes next

-did I mention those refs were horrible?

-where were the students?

-monkey off the back, let's win at Fordham

Not sure about all of you but one thing I can't stand to see anymore is our inbound plays underneath the basketball when we throw the ball all the way into the backcourt. Is there nothing else we can run there? Do we have that little faith in our inbound plays that we don't even try to accomplish anything? That is driving me crazy. We need offense as much as anything and a good inbound play can create easy baskets. This strategy doesn't make any sense to me. I'm over it.

Even in a down year, we still own SJU. I don't think we have lost to them since the Sodie era. I wouldn't blame a quality player like Bembry to bail on them.

Ash played very well on both ends. I thought we would have seen more performances like that. Hopefully it is the start of something.

Maybe it was because Manning was unavailable, but JC doing what I have been hoping to see - some RA as undersized 5. Whether he is playing the 4 or 5, we need to see more of RA the rest of the way and try to develop him. The team needs rebounding and interior scoring. Let's see what we have with him heading into next year.

Nice to see Reynolds get some playing time. I would also like to see more of him to see what we have. He brings a lot of energy. I have been a proponent of JC playing 10 or 11 players, but I wish he would break out a press periodically. I guess that is just not his style, but I think we could put on a press like Rhode Island on occasion with the players we have. Reynolds could be very good on a press, plus we have some "long" athletes like MY, MB, AY and DR who would be suited for it.

Great to see MB bounce back with a really nice game. DR, even though he didn't score much is playing much more under control than he was early in the season. MY is hitting a patch where he is out of control. He is a very good passer. If the shots aren't falling, he needs to look to set up his teammates more.

I was very disappointed with where the team was at following the Vandy game, but I think there are some definite signs of progress lately. We are playing better defense. It was important to pull out a victory after a couple of moral victories at home. Time to get a conference win on the road. And I think the SVU game at the Fetz is certainly winnable if we play like we have at home recently.

Even in a down year, we still own SJU. I don't think we have lost to them since the Sodie era. I wouldn't blame a quality player like Bembry to bail on them.

Ash played very well on both ends. I thought we would have seen more performances like that. Hopefully it is the start of something.

Maybe it was because Manning was unavailable, but JC doing what I have been hoping to see - some RA as undersized 5. Whether he is playing the 4 or 5, we need to see more of RA the rest of the way and try to develop him. The team needs rebounding and interior scoring. Let's see what we have with him heading into next year.

Nice to see Reynolds get some playing time. I would also like to see more of him to see what we have. He brings a lot of energy. I have been a proponent of JC playing 10 or 11 players, but I wish he would break out a press periodically. I guess that is just not his style, but I think we could put on a press like Rhode Island on occasion with the players we have. Reynolds could be very good on a press, plus we have some "long" athletes like MY, MB, AY and DR who would be suited for it.

Great to see MB bounce back with a really nice game. DR, even though he didn't score much is playing much more under control than he was early in the season. MY is hitting a patch where he is out of control. He is a very good passer. If the shots aren't falling, he needs to look to set up his teammates more.

I was very disappointed with where the team was at following the Vandy game, but I think there are some definite signs of progress lately. We are playing better defense. It was important to pull out a victory after a couple of moral victories at home. Time to get a conference win on the road. And I think the SVU game at the Fetz is certainly winnable if we play like we have at home recently.

-we do seem to have StJ's number, let's keep it that way

-with playing this number of players I too would love to see a press every now and again, and if we ever played a zone even for one possession I wonder if our opponent would go catatonic like we do

-good to see MB get minutes, better to see him use those minutes, he played well

-are we forcing it to MY too much? not sure, but I like him

-RA, you are not a guard, don't try to go coast to coast (and he was a HUGE beneficiary of the horrible officiating as he walked on his last basket, not sure how it was missed other than those 3 refs were not having a good night)

This can't be right. I thought Jolly was a recruiting mistake just a couple of days ago