What I'd like to see...

ACE

Who exactly is Lewis? My apologies if this is asked and answered already. Does he have some coaching relationship with the young man or is he a "hanger on" type that attempts to garner financial advantage from someone else's talent? My only hope is that Tommie makes an informed decision in whatever he decides-- and also that he waits to actually make a decision until he's carefully considered his options. To this end, he should certainly heed the advice of his parents, as well as somone such as Jalensdad, who appears to have Tommie's overall well-being in consideration. It is discouraging to see such social leeches poised to attach to a talented young person in order to "elevate" their own standing. Again, I don't know who Lewis is, but he is making himself and Tommie look a bit foolish. Coach Soderberg deserves better than this. I'm still looking forward to a bright Billiken future.

ricky lewis is the son of east st louis legendary head coach bennie lewis. bennie won a couple of state championships for east st louis lincoln when lafonso ellis was there and took the darius miles team to the state tourney as well.

ricky was an assistant coach for bennie at the end of bennie's coaching career. which would have coincided with the first 3 years of tommie's east st louis career.

only from the information over the last few days does one assimulate that ricky is now a street agent under the guise of this aau team in east st louis that no one has heard of. it is been inferred that he is connected to larry butler who runs the illinois warriors, the chicago aau team that is amongst the best of the best year in and year out. coincidentally, a number of southern illinois players have found there way to chicago the last few years supposedly with the "promotion" of ricky lewis.

after tommie had the big all-star game in washington d.c. the big boys (to be read head coaches at the more well known national college programs) started inquiring about tommie. that is where this weekends nightmare takes off.

I don't quite understand how this "street agent" stuff works, but it sure seems to present at the least a questionable situation for the recruit. Is this "contact" allowed by the NCAA? How does a kid from East St. Louis end up on a Chicago AAU team OR Detroit AAU team, etc. Who foots the bills for a kid to live and/or train in Chicago or Detroit or place? I'm all for a kid who is able to better his or her place in the grand fish pond of life, but this whole arrangement seems to give way too much opportunity for undue influence by "shady" characters.

I certainly hope Tommie at least considers the counsel given by Jalensdad and his parents, and that he recognizes who it is that has HIS best interests in mind.

Wow, what a potential, or perhaps actual cesspool for inappropriate contacts. It's hard to blame kids for making mistakes, when they are thrown into such an environment.

i know many probably get tired of this recommend, but nothing explains the aau scene better than the book "sole influences" by dan wetzel. it is nasty stuff. the backbone of the aau circuit are the shoe companies. right now, nike, addias and reebok fight it out in there never ending quest to find the next michael jordan. the shoe companies align themselves with these aau coaches/street agents with the hopes that when the 1 out of a 100 become pro's they will remember the early support. the street agent/aau coach that successfully gets to most kids under their influence, obviously gets the most money.