GDT: Little Rhody

Pistol

That stretch with RA in there sealed our fate.

How does us getting beat on the boards and turning the ball over 20 plus times throughout the game equate to a stretch. We just got beat plain and simple.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How does us getting beat on the boards and turning the ball over 20 plus times throughout the game equate to a stretch. We just got beat plain and simple.

We got out rebounded by 1. RA isn't good enough I'm sorry. Not all his fault today obviously we have a lot of issues

I'm not really happy but I'm hopeful that URI is better than expected and maybe our TOs were a function of the game plan that didn't get executed quite right. I mean that SLU attacked the pressure trying to get to the basket (as witnessed by our better than avg FG% and PTs in the paint) but pushing the ball with the young team caused more TOs than normal.

So Coach J-Crews is playing everyone something that many wanted in order to set up the future. Hell, a lot of people wanted him to pay more guys last season when we were winning. I don't see it paying off this season unless they get real hot in Brooklyn.

What's MY's ceiling?

We got out rebounded by 1. RA isn't good enough I'm sorry. Not all his fault today obviously we have a lot of issues

Granted the kid had a bad game and was definitely trying to do too much but no one person shoulders any such loss. We played well in the 1st and just reverted to our BS in the 2nd.

I think there was growth but against a good vet team like this it just is not as obvious. I say build on what we did in 1st half.

RI went on a 11-0 run mostly with Agbeko, Bartley, and Crawford in there. Add in Manning and Roby and their defense absolutely destroyed that lineup. That 4 minute run killed us. During that stretch we had 6 TOs (3 by Agbeko, 2 by Crawford, 1 by Yacoubou after he came back in) and a few awful shots. I am baffled as to why Crews kept this lineup on the floor for almost 4 minutes.

Hurley actually asked the ref for a flagrant on the pep band down the stretch, according to Strauss. What a little #####

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoeStrauss/status/551492787506409472

That one was actually a joke.

Rhode Island could be a Top 3 A-10 team this year. They have a fairly easy conference schedule and are definitely in the top third of our league. Despite 21 turnovers, awful 3 point and foul shooting we were still in it until the last couple of minutes. That's frustrating yet encouraging. We showed a little intensity (some of it misplaced), a little toughness, and some resiliency. Wasn't all bad

The top unit played really well defensively this afternoon. We just have no half court offense regardless of who is in the game. Crews is going to have to figure something out offensively.

RI went on a 11-0 run mostly with Agbeko, Bartley, and Crawford in there. Add in Manning and Roby and their defense absolutely destroyed that lineup. That 4 minute run killed us. During that stretch we had 6 TOs (3 by Agbeko, 2 by Crawford, 1 by Yacoubou after he came back in) and a few awful shots. I am baffled as to why Crews kept this lineup on the floor for almost 4 minutes.

Good observation I wondered how MC ended up w/ that -19 +/1 eventhough his line is decent.

That's an anemic offensive line up and they confounded that problem with the TOs. Not sure the rationale maybe it was just to see if someone would step up offensively from the group and gain some confidence. That's a complete shot in the dark.

Good observation...still up to staff to fine tune the lineup. May have been a shot in the dark but it did not work. Well off to the next one!

Our half court offense is awful mainly due t the fact we have nobody is capable of posting up and scoring except for Yarbrough, who at least today's game had to run the point. Also, Roby and Bartley have to stay aggressive in the half court they make a mistake and its like they totally shut down. As mentioned before, Crews staying with the lineup of Bartley, Roby, Crawford, agbeko, and Gillmann for 5 minutes in the second half lost us the game.

One more thing Hurley is the biggest D-bag in the A-10

I still don't accept that not putting any rebounders at the line for our shooters is good strategy. Especially when we aren't a good free throw shooting team. You don't need four guys back to stop the fast break. Two guys will do. If we had 80 percent shooters ok. But we only have one of those and he isn't at the line very often. We gave up at least two rebounds today doing that. In a close game it will cosy you.

Our half court offense is awful mainly due t the fact we have nobody is capable of posting up and scoring except for Yarbrough, who at least today's game had to run the point. Also, Roby and Bartley have to stay aggressive in the half court they make a mistake and its like they totally shut down. As mentioned before, Crews staying with the lineup of Bartley, Roby, Crawford, agbeko, and Gillmann for 5 minutes in the second half lost us the game.

One more thing Hurley is the biggest D-bag in the A-10

Apparently the only ones in the building that didn't know that lineup couldn't score was the Billiken bench.

So we've gone from 'Play the freshmen' to 'Play the starters 40 minutes'?

I guess it depends on what your goal for the season is. If it is to win games or be competitive I think you have to ride McBroom, Roby, Ash, Milik, and Manning since they appear capable of defending at a fairly high level and mix in guys like Crawford, Bartley, and one of the other bigs. If you want to see individual development over staying competitive you would have to want to see more minutes from the freshmen beyond Milik and Roby.

It is astounding how little production we are getting from the sophomores. Agbeko is flat out terrible, Lancona is a complete non factor, and Crawford comes and goes, but does not provide much either. And they all appear to be liabilities on defense and being strong with the ball on offense.

So we've gone from 'Play the freshmen' to 'Play the starters 40 minutes'?

No, but AY and MY, maybe even JM, should be getting 30 mpg. The A10's on to AM, ie don't give him any open looks from the perimeter. So he's going to be very limited in conf play. See the end of last season. Still, he could be effective off the bench for instant offense. I'd turn the PG keys over to MB and MR. Hell, we're not going anywhere this year, let's find out what these kids can do. DR, for defense and experience, should get 20 mpg. AG about the same. Unless the light goes on for RA and TL, they should be purely insurance players, ie injury. MC as well should get a good 20-25 a game, lei's find out what he's got and see if he develops. An 8-9 man rotation would be MY, AY, JM, MB, MR, MC, AM, DR, AG. Yeah, it's a short lineup, but what the hey it ain't like we're a rebounding machine when we put in the bigs. One thing for sure we can't have a lineup of one starter and 4 others in there and compete. Hasn't worked against any team this year except the real weaklings, which we barely snuck by anyways, and it killed us today for those 5 minutes in the second half. We're rebuilding and the only two players who've shown they're effective at this level so far are AY and MY. Find the next best 7 and spread the rest of the minutes around among them. If that pisses off the 3 that are not playing so much that they want out... good riddance. It will give us the opportunity to hopefully snag a couple of JUCO's that can compete at this level.