Zone Against Vandy?

slufan13

Many posters on this board write they couldn't care less which actually means they care. They evidently don't realize that. I know, it's just a message board.

No, when you say, "I couldn't care less," it means you don't care at all. You care so little that there's no way you could care any less. The bottom of the barrel; last rung before plunging into the abyss of stuff you don't want to step in. It's those who say, "I could care less," that rankle the nerves of many grammarians, not withstanding that sarcasm is implied in the statement. Therefore, most of the times the statements mean the same thing: "I don't care."

And it looks like I'm guilty of contributing to the derailment of another thread!

I'm planning on attending the game today (wish I could get help with an extra ticket, but I'll go, anyway), and I'd be surprised to see much zone from the Bills. However, playing zone on inbound plays has advantages.

No, when you say, "I couldn't care less," it means you don't care at all. You care so little that there's no way you could care any less. The bottom of the barrel; last rung before plunging into the abyss of stuff you don't want to step in. It's those who say, "I could care less," that rankle the nerves of many grammarians, not withstanding that sarcasm is implied in the statement. Therefore, most of the times the statements mean the same thing: "I don't care."

HATE. Bunch of mongoloids patrolling these parts these days. As Smalls said, "S'more? How can I have some more of nothing?" Even though he was a little mama's boy foo foo booksmart turd, he was right. You can't care less than nothing.

Thicks FTW.

Another way of looking at it:

The poster formerly known as Absurd has derailed another thread with his nitpicking about grammar and langauge; how much does it bother you (on a scale of 0-3)? Choose 0 if you couldn't care less; 1 if you could care less; 2 if you think his moderation is a logistical nightmare; 3 if you want to subject him to watching SLU play a soft zone against a team raining 3s on them.

I won't comment on this anymore but what you just said is incorrect.

I won't comment on this anymore but what you just said is incorrect.

Um; no, it's not. You aren't thinking about it right. If you ate all of the fruitcake and have none left, you couldn't have any less. However, if your mother-in-law brings you some more for New Year's Eve, now you have some.

And it looks like I'm guilty of contributing to the derailment of another thread!

I'm planning on attending the game today (wish I could get help with an extra ticket, but I'll go, anyway), and I'd be surprised to see much zone from the Bills. However, playing zone on inbound plays has advantages.

You seem to be good at derailing threads, Mr. Moderator. And it's usually because you want to look smarter than other posters. Pretty funny stuff.

Many posters on this board write they couldn't care less which actually means they care. They evidently don't realize that. I know, it's just a message board.

It's impossible for any post to make less sense than this one does. Unless perhaps it was MB73 trying to feign knowledge of criminal procedure...

Seriously, this makes the exact opposite of sense.

When I was younger, and being an aspiring writer, I would look at a thesaurus and pick any synonym that sounded good. Now that I'm a lot older and a little wiser, I realize that even synonymous words have specific nuances and uses based on context. While it may be popular to use "logistical" in the sense of preparation for defending a particular offensive scheme and I really don't see anything wrong with it, I can see Brian's point. Some people are particular about using words true to their meanings [raises hand -- most of the time]. For Brian's sake, it may be more appropriate to say "strategical nightmare" than "logistical...."

I hope the Commodores experience some tough logistics and, combined with the Bills' slender Chaifetz mystique, lose a tough road game and help build the young SLU squad's confidence.

You spelled strategery wrong.

It's impossible for any post to make less sense than this one does. Unless perhaps it was MB73 trying to feign knowledge of criminal procedure...

Seriously, this makes the exact opposite of sense.

You evidently don't know what you are talking about. Look it up for yourself.

You spelled strategery wrong.

Thanks; I'll look into it.

EDIT: Dictionary.com's head exploded.

You evidently don't know what you are talking about. Look it up for yourself.

Usage note

15. Couldn't care less, a phrase used to express indifference, is sometimes heard as could care less, which ought to mean the opposite but is intended to be synonymous with the former phrase. Both versions are common mainly in informal speech.

could not care less

verb phrase

One simply does not care; one is sublimely indifferent •In a curious development, the original British negative form has been changed to affirmative by many US speakers, without change of meaning; such contradiction is more common in slang than in standard speech : I couldn't care less if you like me or not/ I could care less if you like me or not

Idioms and Phrases with care

couldn't care less

Also, could care less. Be completely indifferent. For example, Pick whatever dessert you want; I couldn't care less, or I could care less about the editor's opinion. This expression originated about 1940 in Britain and for a time invariably used couldn't. About 1960 could was occasionally substituted, and today both versions are used with approximately equal frequency, despite their being antonyms.

Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/couldn't+care+less

Unless to be indifferent means you actually care, none of those backs up your claim.