Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya know, I am all for keeping the local kids here, but I really don't want a roster of only St. Louis area kids.  We have been doing pretty good in the Metro NY area, with Bishop, Foreman, and French on board.  Rhoden is from NY, so he could keep the window open. Macon has been doing a great job out in NY.  Let's not shut him down by running out of scholarship. 

It would be great to land a Chi-town player.  Will Horton-Tucker be Bailey's first recruit?  Chicago has been good to SLU.  We need to keep our foot in the door. 

Unless he is a local, top rated player, let's keep our options open elsewhere.  There will be years when the local talent isn't up to par.  We need to keep some of these other fertile areas interested in SLU.  Let Corey pull in two a year, but then let's keep Macon and Bailey busy too.

CBFan likes this

51 minutes ago, slu72 fan said:

He and his mother, a teacher, have been to campus several times, I've heard. 

Yeah, that is good news. Thanks for the info.  An "official" visit, I guess, would just make me think the recruitment is more serious. 

Got any other recruiting tidbits you could share? Please?

42 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

You won't run out of scholarships, they are one year renewable and performance based. You always have as many as you need because you won't land every recruit you want.

If a school gets that kind of a rep they will be crucified in the recruiting war. Kids do transfer but it needs to be their decision unless the kid screws up 

24 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Roy Schmidt says he knows the schools that will be in a THT trimmed list, but he conveniently isn't saying out of respect.  Good old Roy.

Bet you when the list is released he will say he knew them all and there are no surprises for him but other sites are idiots for not knowing.  

HoosierPal likes this

5 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Not true. Most kids think they are good enough to play anywhere and that it won't happen to them. 

Are you this clueless all the time or just on Friday's?  If your  bro-man Martin starts whacking six scholies a year, his money won't be good anywhere. 

21 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Are you this clueless all the time or just on Friday's?  If your  bro-man Martin starts whacking six scholies a year, his money won't be good anywhere. 

I' coached college basketball for years and worked with dozens of college coaches, I'm 100% nothing bad is going to happen. You don't run out of scholarships. Kids want to play, they see the writing on the wall or you tell them they won't play much and they will transfer. Kids don't want to sit, particularly in college basketball.  They appreciate the honesty and not false hope. They don't want you to waste their time and eligibility 

32 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

I' coached college basketball for years and worked with dozens of college coaches, I'm 100% nothing bad is going to happen. You don't run out of scholarships. Kids want to play, they see the writing on the wall or you tell them they won't play much and they will transfer. Kids don't want to sit, particularly in college basketball.  They appreciate the honesty and not false hope. They don't want you to waste their time and eligibility 

disgusting take to assume all student athletes ONLY care about playing time.   maybe the student athlete really likes st louis.   maybe the student athlete met a girl that will remain at st louis.   maybe the student athlete wants a saint louis university degree.   now if a player wants to leave, that's fine, but running kids off or taking away scholarship offers is not a good policy assuming the kid is a good student, a good teamate that is actually trying and is a good citizen that is being a good person off the floor and out of the classroom.  

33 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

disgusting take to assume all student athletes ONLY care about playing time.   maybe the student athlete really likes st louis.   maybe the student athlete met a girl that will remain at st louis.   maybe the student athlete wants a saint louis university degree.   now if a player wants to leave, that's fine, but running kids off or taking away scholarship offers is not a good policy assuming the kid is a good student, a good teamate that is actually trying and is a good citizen that is being a good person off the floor and out of the classroom.  

That kid is the exception, not the rule. That one kid won't be the one that makes you run out of scholarships and lose a kid you want. Don't ever worry about running out of 13 scholarships, nobody plays 13 people, you can always make room if you don't already have it.

12 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

That kid is the exception, not the rule. That one kid won't be the one that makes you run out of scholarships and lose a kid you want. Don't ever worry about running out of 13 scholarships, nobody plays 13 people, you can always make room if you don't already have it.

I've coached at the high school and college level for 25 years.  If a HS coach sees you are chasing their former players off, you won't be welcome back on that campus, gym or summer team.