Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Kind of funny that Torrence Watson announced his commitment to Mizzou by saying "HOME" with a picture of the arch, then Carte'Are reaffirmed his commitment by capitalizing "HOME" after Saint Louis University. I'm just going to assume Gordon was throwing massive shade at Watson. 

5 minutes ago, wgstl said:

lol. I got to think you're thinking way to into that

I actually think he might be onto something there.  Gordon is buddies with Watson.  It is not out of the realm of possibility that he's ribbing his buddy a little bit for the Mizzou "home" thing when they're from St. Louis.

Aside: am I the only one that takes exception to Watson including the arch in the background of his announcement tweet?  Dude, you're leaving St. Louis and there is no arch in Boone County.  Put some decaying pillars or some redneck racists or something like that in the background of your tweet.

12 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I guess now thinking about it, kinda odd watson included the arch.

It's all part of Cuonzo's efforts to counteract Ford's recruiting efforts in STL. He wants the kids to think that Boone Country is essentially "home" and that St. Louis is a Mizzou town. It's his way of downplaying SLU's "staying home" pitch to local recruits, and he will try to paint himself as a true son of St. Louis. Martin will only continue to push that message in recruiting battles for 2019, 2020, 2021. 

20 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

It's all part of Cuonzo's efforts to counteract Ford's recruiting efforts in STL. He wants the kids to think that Boone Country is essentially "home" and that St. Louis is a Mizzou town. It's his way of downplaying SLU's "staying home" pitch to local recruits, and he will try to paint himself as a true son of St. Louis. Martin will only continue to push that message in recruiting battles for 2019, 2020, 2021. 

This is somewhat off of the topic (but I'll weave it in), but did anyone notice the news story about Missouri lawmakers trying to increase the vehicle registration fees for fuel-efficient vehicles?  So if your car gets better gas mileage, so that you're chipping in less in gas taxes, they compensate by making you pay more to register your car every two years.  What the...?!  They'll get you one way or the other.

So, given the choice between watching your blue-chip son play "close" to home at Mizzou or locally at SLU, which one, in the long run is best for your wallet?  Something for Coach Ford to play up during the in-home visit that Martin won't have an answer for.

11 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

So, given the choice between watching your blue-chip son play "close" to home at Mizzou or locally at SLU, which one, in the long run is best for your wallet?  Something for Coach Ford to play up during the in-home visit that Martin won't have an answer for.

Isn't there a  much larger population by slu than Columbia? Also I feel like Ford being a former Mizzou guy who left after another mizzou investigation can have some sway with recruits 

52 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Taking bets now that Watson delays his signing in November ala Tilmon to play with Gordon and Goodwin. True or not that would feel good against Mizzou 

Why would he delay? If he wanted to play with them he would have committed to SLU.  Move on.  There are players just as good and better than him who want to play with the talent SLU has.......

1 minute ago, Old guy said:

The real issue with Watson is: would we want him at SLU if after this series of commitments and decommitments plus transfers he decided to do it  once more and land here? This is a possibly real issue if he does not sign his LOI in November.

That isn't the real issue because it's an illogical scenario to be worrying about. He's going to sign in November. Wouldn't have committed on Friday if there was any doubt.

kshoe just wait and see what happens, in situations like this kid's and Cuonzo's you cannot assume anything will or will not happen. By the way, if I was Ford and if Watson tried to pull the de commit play with Mizzou yet again and wanted to get into SLU I would not touch him with a ten foot pole if I was Ford. This kid can go play for the Fighting Camels team for all I care about him.

26 minutes ago, kshoe said:

As others have said, it's a graphic put together by mizzou. It's clear they want to be thought of as the local school for recruits.

I would think that if anyone officially associated with Mizzou athletics or any booster were to have assembled that graphic, it would be a recruiting violation.  They can't comment on recruits who've not signed a letter of intent.

10 minutes ago, Old guy said:

kshoe just wait and see what happens, in situations like this kid's and Cuonzo's you cannot assume anything will or will not happen. By the way, if I was Ford and if Watson tried to pull the de commit play with Mizzou yet again and wanted to get into SLU I would not touch him with a ten foot pole if I was Ford. This kid can go play for the Fighting Camels team for all I care about him.

Agree 100%.  Hoping Rhoden, Horton-Tucker or some other signs this November........

12 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I would think that if anyone officially associated with Mizzou athletics or any booster were to have assembled that graphic, it would be a recruiting violation.  They can't comment on recruits who've not signed a letter of intent.

Every player out there has these graphics these days. Are they all doing it themselves or hiring a graphic design team? I highly doubt it.