Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

1 hour ago, bauman said:

Agree, but hopefully Graves can pick up the slack with Bishop and Johnson also helping in that area.

Question for all of you who follow prep basketball in the St. Louis area, are there any Erwin C's/H Waldman/Scott H quality shooters on any area high schools teams?

Not a lot of pure shooters.  First one that came to mind was the kid at Hillsboro...Gavin i believe.  But he hasn't received many high major offers.  I agree they need a shooter to balance that 2018 group out.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My buddy that has a power mizzou acct sent me this:

On Carte'Are Gordon, we know all the rumors that are out there. And obviously he was in Columbia last weekend. The story we're getting is that he came to town to hang out with Michael Porter Jr. I honestly don't even know that there was contact with the staff. I don't think there has been all that much contact (if any) with the staff recently.

Don't take that to mean Missouri is out of it because they aren't. But nothing is going to happen before Gordon decommits from SLU, which may not even happen. He visited SLU the day after he was in Columbia. 

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

I agree Pistol as one poster used to say stop the senseless beating of dead horses.

A few pages back I listed my top 5 of 2018 recruits offered to fill the remaining scholarship what is yours?

Hsppy Friday 

Top 5 that we've offered, or that we still have a legit shot with? I'll go with the latter, as there are about 5 guys we seem actively involved with, in no order:

Jared Rhoden - We made his final 11 and all schools are doing home visits (I don't have a schedule on those). Since trimming his list, he's taken unofficial visits to Penn State and Seton Hall, and announced Dayton. On paper, he's a great fit for the roster. He's got nice length and can really shoot it; a perimeter scorer like this would be a good piece. Versatile player. I'm interested to see how the next month goes, because I get the idea he's trying to whittle the 11 down more before committing.

Talen Horton-Tucker - He's gone from fringe top-150 player to fringe top-50 player in about a year. The whole Big Ten has recruited him at some point. He's down to 13 but we've been involved for quite a while and it's a shame so many more offers came in afterwards. I hear a lot of buzz between him and Michigan State, but there are a ton of big-time programs involved, and Kansas is in the mix. In terms of roster fit, he's got range but isn't as consistent a shooter as Rhoden. That's probably because he uses his huge frame to get to the rim and bully opposing players. He's a bull. He fits in with the toughness of our roster, no question. If he could be a consistent perimeter threat, he's going to be a load to deal with in college. He's also a good student, unselfish, hard working - total package potential here. The question is if we can stay in his top 5 or so. He's taking in-gym visits in September and will set up officials after that.

Mickey Pearson - We're a clear frontrunner for Pearson, but I do get the idea it's more of a long game here to see if Watson, THT, or Rhoden might break our way first. We have the luxury of being Pearson's best offer, and hopefully he's not insulted by that because he's not a bad backup plan. He's got a really high ceiling. Looks great on film, even if he hasn't played the best level of competition quite yet. He's got a long frame, a nice easy stroke from the perimeter, and has a surprisingly sharp skill set for his size and length. I'm higher on Pearson than some others who follow recruiting closely because I think the long-term potential is excellent.

Torrence Watson - We all know about the same here, which is to say 'not much'. He decommitted from OSU under mysterious circumstances to stay closer to home. That means SLU and Mizzou are popping up as natural choices. Without knowing exactly what's going on here, and trying to separate the noise from substance without much success yet, it's hard to say exactly what the status is. But you have to like our chances if he's staying close, right? He's not the natural perimeter shooter that may look perfect on paper, but he's a big-time scorer, and a 4-star recruit that you take in a heartbeat if he's available.

Dallas Watson - I put him fifth because he's the only other kid who I've seen mention SLU as a contender in the past month. I don't know a ton about him, honestly. He's a tough NYC guard, defensive-minded, but has enough skills at the other end to make him intriguing. He might come out and visit SLU, if he hasn't already. Based on the little I know, his scouting report - tough kid, good defender, good shooter - make him look like potentially a fit on paper. He'd probably be a higher level recruit if he were a little taller.

If I could just pick my top 5 out of the offers who haven't eliminated us, it'd be Keldon Johnson, Ayo Dosunmu, THT, Will Richardson, and a toss-up in the last spot between a few different guys. But we don't appear to be involved with 3 of those 4. I'm guessing we are involved with other players in the list (and maybe other names we haven't seen yet) but I haven't been able to confirm recent activity with them, and will update here with anything I find.

10 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Not a lot of pure shooters.  First one that came to mind was the kid at Hillsboro...Gavin i believe.  But he hasn't received many high major offers.  I agree they need a shooter to balance that 2018 group out.

Gaven Pinkley. He's got good size, too. He's visiting Drake in October, but I don't know about any other officials at this point. Has offers from a few Horizon, Valley, and Summit teams, among others. Has potential to be a good stretch 4 in college. Needs to add to his frame a bit, work on his athleticism. But I could see him being a nice player if he finds the right program. He's probably a guy who will play SLU in an early season game in a few years and score 27.

1 minute ago, stlodoyle said:

On Carte'Are Gordon, we know all the rumors that are out there. And obviously he was in Columbia last weekend. The story we're getting is that he came to town to hang out with Michael Porter Jr. I honestly don't even know that there was contact with the staff. I don't think there has been all that much contact (if any) with the staff recently.

Don't take that to mean Missouri is out of it because they aren't. But nothing is going to happen before Gordon decommits from SLU, which may not even happen. He visited SLU the day after he was in Columbia. 

Thanks.  Seems like everybody who actually knows anything still doesn't have any real indication he is thinking about decommitting.  Strange that it is MPJ and not Jontay since MPJ won't be there next year if they were trying to recruit him and MPJ isn't a St. Louis kid like Gordon is.  That's why Gordon wants to come to SLU.

I still want to know where the obviously he was in Columbia aspect when I still haven't seen a picture.  Frank said it was Tilmon, MPJ and Gordon hanging out but Alize Johnson was there too.  Did people just not mention him?  Or was it all 4 of them?  

5 minutes ago, stlodoyle said:

Seriously how many STL high school students visit their friends at Mizzou and how many more go to Mizzou football games on fall saturdays. As far as I'm concerned he was there to watch football.

2 hours ago, ACE said:

I agree with your frustration about this thread, but the object of your frustration is misplaced. The fact that 314 gave your post a quick endorsement is a clear indicator that you missed the mark.

There was very little Mizzou talk on here for a LONG time until vtime and 314 started to ramp it up in the spring. All you have to do is skim their posting history over the past year to see what these trolls are all about. SLU signs Goodwin and gets commits from Gordon and Thatch... while the rest of the board is dancing to PitBull, they are nowhere to be found. They went months without posting. Vtime barely posted this past season... it was great! Then right after Martin was hired, they both coincidentally reappear on the board and post with a LOT more frequency. Now, their primary purpose is clearly to defend the honor of Mizzou and Martin. They post nothing of value related to Billiken basketball. 

History has shown that when the Mizzou trolls are away, there is very little talk about them on here. There will be an occasional jab and then everybody moves on. But when you have a couple of SPUMAC trolls embedded on here who will challenge any perceived anti-Martin/Mizzou comment, then you have what is going on now. Seems to me it is the Mizzou trolls who crave affirmation of their program from SLU fans who are the ones with the "obsession." Spare SLU fans of the "little brother syndrome" lecture and keep your focus on the primary sources of Mizzou-related BS. The board is a MUCH better place when vtime and 314 are away.

+1000. Well stated!

15 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Gaven Pinkley. He's got good size, too. He's visiting Drake in October, but I don't know about any other officials at this point. Has offers from a few Horizon, Valley, and Summit teams, among others. Has potential to be a good stretch 4 in college. Needs to add to his frame a bit, work on his athleticism. But I could see him being a nice player if he finds the right program. He's probably a guy who will play SLU in an early season game in a few years and score 27.

Lol right. 

40 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Yeah, I never said it's his only job. He's done all those other aspects at the collegiate level in six years at Missouri on the women's side and one year at Washington on the Men's side.  If he'd never coached collegistelu before you could argue ethics, but he's been in the Nissouri athletic dept for years.

and he successfully "recruited" his daughter and sons.    yep that justifies the big payday.  

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

Why is glorydays in a post limit but the Mizzou trolls aren't? That would be my only question on the Mizzou matter. 

+1   Great point. They are way worse. When they were hiding under a rock for most of this past season, there was very little Mizzou talk on here.  

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Coach Ford seems to zero in on 1 or 2 high level shooters per class. This year it's Rhoden, next year it's Quinn Richey who is a Scott Highmark clone.

I really like what I have seen of Rhoden. Would be happy to have him. Hope he doesn't go to Dayton.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

+1 - Well said. He's not at our level but would probably be a good player for a low level program. 

1 hour ago, Coach314 said:

Lol right. 

Not sure if sarcastic or serious, so I'll just say that I should've used blue font for the last line, partially kidding but SLU has a long history of players we've overlooked going to Valley or similar level schools and torching us when we meet head to head. Guys like Kent Williams and Darren Brooks.

13 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

+1 - Well said. He's not at our level but would probably be a good player for a low level program. 

Yeah, I'm hoping he finds a good landing spot. Solid four-year player in the right circumstances.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Coach Ford seems to zero in on 1 or 2 high level shooters per class. This year it's Rhoden, next year it's Quinn Richey who is a Scott Highmark clone.

Or Joe Girard in 2019, the kid from Jimmer Fredette's high school who plays pretty much like Jimmer did.

1 hour ago, Bills_06 said:

Thanks.  Seems like everybody who actually knows anything still doesn't have any real indication he is thinking about decommitting.  Strange that it is MPJ and not Jontay since MPJ won't be there next year if they were trying to recruit him and MPJ isn't a St. Louis kid like Gordon is.  That's why Gordon wants to come to SLU.

I still want to know where the obviously he was in Columbia aspect when I still haven't seen a picture.  Frank said it was Tilmon, MPJ and Gordon hanging out but Alize Johnson was there too.  Did people just not mention him?  Or was it all 4 of them?  

Bingo. This is a quintessential example of the Internet being an echo chamber. Say something enough times and eventually people will start to say "oh there must be something to it."

2 hours ago, stlodoyle said:

Wouldn't that mean that Mizzou is actually out of it at this point?

53 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Not sure if sarcastic or serious, so I'll just say that I should've used blue font for the last line, partially kidding but SLU has a long history of players we've overlooked going to Valley or similar level schools and torching us when we meet head to head. Guys like Kent Williams and Darren Brooks.

Yeah, I'm hoping he finds a good landing spot. Solid four-year player in the right circumstances.

My bad. I was agreeing with your analysis.  I have watched him over the years playing with TeamRamey.  

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Top 5 that we've offered, or that we still have a legit shot with? I'll go with the latter, as there are about 5 guys we seem actively involved with, in no order:

Jared Rhoden - We made his final 11 and all schools are doing home visits (I don't have a schedule on those). Since trimming his list, he's taken unofficial visits to Penn State and Seton Hall, and announced Dayton. On paper, he's a great fit for the roster. He's got nice length and can really shoot it; a perimeter scorer like this would be a good piece. Versatile player. I'm interested to see how the next month goes, because I get the idea he's trying to whittle the 11 down more before committing.

Talen Horton-Tucker - He's gone from fringe top-150 player to fringe top-50 player in about a year. The whole Big Ten has recruited him at some point. He's down to 13 but we've been involved for quite a while and it's a shame so many more offers came in afterwards. I hear a lot of buzz between him and Michigan State, but there are a ton of big-time programs involved, and Kansas is in the mix. In terms of roster fit, he's got range but isn't as consistent a shooter as Rhoden. That's probably because he uses his huge frame to get to the rim and bully opposing players. He's a bull. He fits in with the toughness of our roster, no question. If he could be a consistent perimeter threat, he's going to be a load to deal with in college. He's also a good student, unselfish, hard working - total package potential here. The question is if we can stay in his top 5 or so. He's taking in-gym visits in September and will set up officials after that.

Mickey Pearson - We're a clear frontrunner for Pearson, but I do get the idea it's more of a long game here to see if Watson, THT, or Rhoden might break our way first. We have the luxury of being Pearson's best offer, and hopefully he's not insulted by that because he's not a bad backup plan. He's got a really high ceiling. Looks great on film, even if he hasn't played the best level of competition quite yet. He's got a long frame, a nice easy stroke from the perimeter, and has a surprisingly sharp skill set for his size and length. I'm higher on Pearson than some others who follow recruiting closely because I think the long-term potential is excellent.

Torrence Watson - We all know about the same here, which is to say 'not much'. He decommitted from OSU under mysterious circumstances to stay closer to home. That means SLU and Mizzou are popping up as natural choices. Without knowing exactly what's going on here, and trying to separate the noise from substance without much success yet, it's hard to say exactly what the status is. But you have to like our chances if he's staying close, right? He's not the natural perimeter shooter that may look perfect on paper, but he's a big-time scorer, and a 4-star recruit that you take in a heartbeat if he's available.

Dallas Watson - I put him fifth because he's the only other kid who I've seen mention SLU as a contender in the past month. I don't know a ton about him, honestly. He's a tough NYC guard, defensive-minded, but has enough skills at the other end to make him intriguing. He might come out and visit SLU, if he hasn't already. Based on the little I know, his scouting report - tough kid, good defender, good shooter - make him look like potentially a fit on paper. He'd probably be a higher level recruit if he were a little taller.

If I could just pick my top 5 out of the offers who haven't eliminated us, it'd be Keldon Johnson, Ayo Dosunmu, THT, Will Richardson, and a toss-up in the last spot between a few different guys. But we don't appear to be involved with 3 of those 4. I'm guessing we are involved with other players in the list (and maybe other names we haven't seen yet) but I haven't been able to confirm recent activity with them, and will update here with anything I find.

Thank you Pistol I always appreciate your analysis and information of players.  I should have been more specific of what I meant but players that were offered and still have an interest in SLU. 

I really like Talen Horton-Tucker's size and skill set.

So many on this site I respect like Watson and Rhoden so either would be a nice get.  I will go back to your 2018 thread to read about Pearson.

Of all offers not interested in SLU  I like point guards so Ayo Dosunmu is my number one.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

I really wanted Kent Williams to sign with SLU.

Wasn't Williams interested in SLU?

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Kent Williams, just got the Desmet job. Ford's son plays there right? Williams used to coach under Cuonzo at Mo State and UT right? Small world right?  Stop bashing Cuonzo alright? He's done nothing wrong.