Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

36 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

What I meant to say is that they should limit it further. There seems like an army of assistants at the end of the bench. I assume they are grad assistants/film guys???

they are and supposedly they cannot leave campus for program business or recruit in any way.   Calipari likes to give fathers one of those jobs (if you remember Milt Wagner was his high priced film manager at memphis if my memory serves me correctly) and thus not lose a recruiter as mi$$ouri has done.   imo paying porter Sr.  MIllions to get his kid for one year is just about as slimy (nothing illegal about it) as it gets.   oh yes, martin is a snake.   whats sad though is that college basketball rewards snakes.   all the successful coaches have slithering aspects.  

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Pistol said:

The last 10 pages have been bickering about Mizzou-related BS. I hope no one gets upset if and when I post recruiting info, given that SLU is still recruiting the 2018 class.

This little brother syndrome, the Mizzou obsession, is pathetic.

I agree Pistol as one poster used to say stop the senseless beating of dead horses.

A few pages back I listed my top 5 of 2018 recruits offered to fill the remaining scholarship what is yours?

Hsppy Friday 

1) I will continue to make fun of any Mizzou related topics discussed on this Board. I have no allegiance to Mizzou & they only serve as a punching bag due to their continued inetpitude. 

2) Any official visits for SLU coming up? Seems like now would be the time for recruiting to heat back up. 

I find it a little odd how quiet SLU has been on the recruiting front lately. It really would be nice to get a third freshman for 2018 to attempt to start evening out the class distribution on the roster. While I know it will never be perfect, the end goal should be to reduce the number of years where 6+ new players are coming in. With 2 months until signing day, hoping TFord has something big in the works. 

8 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

I find it a little odd how quiet SLU has been on the recruiting front lately. It really would be nice to get a third freshman for 2018 to attempt to start evening out the class distribution on the roster. While I know it will never be perfect, the end goal should be to reduce the number of years where 6+ new players are coming in. With 2 months until signing day, hoping TFord has something big in the works. 

my hope is that the quiet means that ford has literally just a handful of targets and is privately concentrating on that few to finish the class.   

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

my hope is that the quiet means that ford has literally just a handful of targets and is privately concentrating on that few to finish the class.   

I think this is the case. Seems like with Thatch and Gordon in the mix already, T ford can focus on Watson and Rhoden.  Guessing they are slow playing Mickey Pearson. Especially now that Watson is back on the market. 

Just now, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Never in my time following SLU have they gotten two commitments from juniors.  In fact, I can't even remember getting one commitment from a junior before this class.  I think the most precious commodity for the last piece of the 2018 class is a dead-eye shooter.

I cannot recall many junior commitments either. I am trying to recall the furthest out commitment a SLU coach has received in recent memory. I seem to remember Willie and Kwamain committed at a similar time frame early in the summer before their senior years and Conklin shortly thereafter. 

As for the 2018 class, I think this team still has to be in full acquire as much talent as possible mode. Take the best available player. It will work itself out. 

49 minutes ago, Pistol said:

The last 10 pages have been bickering about Mizzou-related BS. I hope no one gets upset if and when I post recruiting info, given that SLU is still recruiting the 2018 class.

This little brother syndrome, the Mizzou obsession, is pathetic.

I agree with your frustration about this thread, but the object of your frustration is misplaced. The fact that 314 gave your post a quick endorsement is a clear indicator that you missed the mark.

There was very little Mizzou talk on here for a LONG time until vtime and 314 started to ramp it up in the spring. All you have to do is skim their posting history over the past year to see what these trolls are all about. SLU signs Goodwin and gets commits from Gordon and Thatch... while the rest of the board is dancing to PitBull, they are nowhere to be found. They went months without posting. Vtime barely posted this past season... it was great! Then right after Martin was hired, they both coincidentally reappear on the board and post with a LOT more frequency. Now, their primary purpose is clearly to defend the honor of Mizzou and Martin. They post nothing of value related to Billiken basketball. 

History has shown that when the Mizzou trolls are away, there is very little talk about them on here. There will be an occasional jab and then everybody moves on. But when you have a couple of SPUMAC trolls embedded on here who will challenge any perceived anti-Martin/Mizzou comment, then you have what is going on now. Seems to me it is the Mizzou trolls who crave affirmation of their program from SLU fans who are the ones with the "obsession." Spare SLU fans of the "little brother syndrome" lecture and keep your focus on the primary sources of Mizzou-related BS. The board is a MUCH better place when vtime and 314 are away.

14 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Never in my time following SLU have they gotten two commitments from juniors.  In fact, I can't even remember getting one commitment from a junior before this class.  I think the most precious commodity for the last piece of the 2018 class is a dead-eye shooter.

I agree, there is a need for another shooter. I think if we don't find the right guy this fall, go shopping for a quality transfer in the spring. Looking ahead, we're going to need somebody to step in for when Henriquez graduates.

10 minutes ago, ACE said:

I agree, there is a need for another shooter. I think if we don't find the right guy this fall, go shopping for a quality transfer in the spring. Looking ahead, we're going to need somebody to step in for when Henriquez graduates.

Agree, but hopefully Graves can pick up the slack with Bishop and Johnson also helping in that area.

Question for all of you who follow prep basketball in the St. Louis area, are there any Erwin C's/H Waldman/Scott H quality shooters on any area high schools teams?

8 minutes ago, bauman said:

Agree, but hopefully Graves can pick up the slack with Bishop and Johnson also helping in that area.

Question for all of you who follow prep basketball in the St. Louis area, are there any Erwin C's/H Waldman/Scott H quality shooters on any area high schools teams?

times have changed and the likes of highmark probably doesnt get recruited by ford who has shown a penchant for the supreme athlete imo.   nothing wrong with that, but while highmark to this day remains one of my favorite players ever to wear billiken blue, there is no doubt he wouldnt win any dunk contests or sprint races.   

now does that mean the player you want cant be both?  no henriquez is proof of that.   we shall see.   but thats a tough find.  

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

do you really think if he wasnt m porter jr's father he would have been able to recruit his two sons and deservedly get a D1 men's coaching job?    if you believe that you are an idiot.   you were more qualified for that job than he was.   

When did I say that? The fact is he delivered the top recruit in college basketball and another 5 star big (because they are his kids). Obviously that is the only reason Washington hired him and now Mizzou, but that is certainly worth it in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

When did I say that? The fact is he delivered the top recruit in college basketball and another 5 star big (because they are his kids). Obviously that is the only reason Washington hired him and now Mizzou, but that is certainly worth it in my opinion.

chosen, i meant to reply to vtime.   i am very sorry for linking to your post.    i need to take more time when invoking the quote function.  again, my apologies.  

3 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

This kind of crap should stop. It may be within the rules, but it is completely unethical. I hope Mr Porter was at least decent enough to share some of the money with his children. The NCAA should limit the number of assistants a team can have on staff to stop this nonsense. At the very least Mr Porter should not have received any more money than that of an entry level assistant.  What will Mr Porter's duties be??? Will he even be required to go to practice????? A university full of scandal, just added to their mess.......

You are supposed to hire assistant coaches for recruiting purposes.

3 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

This kind of crap should stop. It may be within the rules, but it is completely unethical. I hope Mr Porter was at least decent enough to share some of the money with his children. The NCAA should limit the number of assistants a team can have on staff to stop this nonsense. At the very least Mr Porter should not have received any more money than that of an entry level assistant.  What will Mr Porter's duties be??? Will he even be required to go to practice????? A university full of scandal, just added to their mess.......

57 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

I cannot recall many junior commitments either. I am trying to recall the furthest out commitment a SLU coach has received in recent memory. I seem to remember Willie and Kwamain committed at a similar time frame early in the summer before their senior years and Conklin shortly thereafter. 

As for the 2018 class, I think this team still has to be in full acquire as much talent as possible mode. Take the best available player. It will work itself out. 

Polk committed junior year.

3 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

recruiting is a part of their job.   it is not their only job.   they also have to actually assist with practice and coach the players.  they scout the upcoming opponents and most programs basically let the scout assistant for upcoming games develop the strategy going into that game.   they also serve as the baby sitters to the players making sure they get to class, stay up with their grades and look out for them outside of basketball.    but bringing in two sons to be on the team is not their only job.  

19 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

times have changed and the likes of highmark probably doesnt get recruited by ford who has shown a penchant for the supreme athlete imo.   nothing wrong with that, but while highmark to this day remains one of my favorite players ever to wear billiken blue, there is no doubt he wouldnt win any dunk contests or sprint races.   

now does that mean the player you want cant be both?  no henriquez is proof of that.   we shall see.   but thats a tough find.  

Ford loved himself some Phil Forte.  He wasn't a great athlete and he is six inches shorter than Highmark.  I think Ford doesn't have a problem recruiting a guy like Highmark.

1 hour ago, ACE said:

I agree with your frustration about this thread, but the object of your frustration is misplaced. The fact that 314 gave your post a quick endorsement is a clear indicator that you missed the mark.

There was very little Mizzou talk on here for a LONG time until vtime and 314 started to ramp it up in the spring. All you have to do is skim their posting history over the past year to see what these trolls are all about. SLU signs Goodwin and gets commits from Gordon and Thatch... while the rest of the board is dancing to PitBull, they are nowhere to be found. They went months without posting. Vtime barely posted this past season... it was great! Then right after Martin was hired, they both coincidentally reappear on the board and post with a LOT more frequency. Now, their primary purpose is clearly to defend the honor of Mizzou and Martin. They post nothing of value related to Billiken basketball. 

History has shown that when the Mizzou trolls are away, there is very little talk about them on here. There will be an occasional jab and then everybody moves on. But when you have a couple of SPUMAC trolls embedded on here who will challenge any perceived anti-Martin/Mizzou comment, then you have what is going on now. Seems to me it is the Mizzou trolls who crave affirmation of their program from SLU fans who are the ones with the "obsession." Spare SLU fans of the "little brother syndrome" lecture and keep your focus on the primary sources of Mizzou-related BS. The board is a MUCH better place when vtime and 314 are away.

??? stop trolling and contribute something to the topic at hand ?

1 hour ago, ACE said:

No, it isn't. If there are "Mizzou trolls" here, they're no more guilty than the people who hate Mizzou and take the bait every single time. I'm not interested in doing a history of who's to blame. It's exhausting and uninteresting.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

recruiting is a part of their job.   it is not their only job.   they also have to actually assist with practice and coach the players.  they scout the upcoming opponents and most programs basically let the scout assistant for upcoming games develop the strategy going into that game.   they also serve as the baby sitters to the players making sure they get to class, stay up with their grades and look out for them outside of basketball.    but bringing in two sons to be on the team is not their only job.  

Yeah, I never said it's his only job. He's done all those other aspects at the collegiate level in six years at Missouri on the women's side and one year at Washington on the Men's side.  If he'd never coached collegistelu before you could argue ethics, but he's been in the Nissouri athletic dept for years.