Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sick of reading about Mizzou on here.  Who cares about them.  Here is a prediction for them, and this is for all the recruits to see: They will be bad or average this year.  It will remind everyone of Ben Simmons at LSU.  Cuonzo Martin may put together a good team in a couple of years, but this year, they are reaching for the stars if they reach the NIT.  

25 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Nothing wrong with offering an unemployed coach a job. Many other schools did the same.  He's been a legitimate college coach for years. There's nothing slimy or about it. You hire coaches that can get recruits. He delivered two 5 star recruits. There's nothing wrong with that.

Believe what you want. You know it didn't happen that way. 

Edited by HoosierPal

4 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I have no idea of Martin's prior performance record as a D1 basketball HC. Anyone knows?

2 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

Google is your friend.

Head coaching record[edit]

Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Missouri State Bears (Missouri Valley Conference) (2008–2011)
2008–09 Missouri State 11–20 3–15 10th  
2009–10 Missouri State 24–12 8–10 7th CIT Champions
2010–11 Missouri State 26–9 15–3 1st NIT Second Round
Missouri State: 61–41 (.598) 26–28 (.481)  
Tennessee Volunteers (Southeastern Conference) (2011–2014)
2011–12 Tennessee 19–15 10–6 T–2nd NIT Second Round
2012–13 Tennessee 20–13 11–7 T–5th NIT First Round
2013–14 Tennessee 24–13 11–7 4th NCAA Sweet Sixteen
Tennessee: 63–41 (.606) 32–20 (.615)  
California Golden Bears (Pac-12 Conference) (2014–2017)
2014–15 California 18–15 7–11 T–8th  
2015–16 California 23–11 12–6 T–3rd NCAA First Round
2016–17 California 21–13 10–8 T–5th NIT First Round
California: 62–39 (.614) 28–24 (.538)  
Missouri Tigers (Southeastern Conference) (2017–present)
2017–18 Missouri        
Total: 186–121 (.606)

28 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Nothing wrong with offering an unemployed coach a job. Many other schools did the same.  He's been a legitimate college coach for years. There's nothing slimy or about it. You hire coaches that can get recruits. He delivered two 5 star recruits. There's nothing wrong with that.

What a fabulous recruiting job, I guess he must have made a good impression on their mother as well. He was a high school girls basketball coach, and now he is one of the highest paid assistants in the country. This is nothing more than a bribe. 

6 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

What a fabulous recruiting job, I guess he must have made a good impression on their mother as well. He was a high school girls basketball coach, and now he is one of the highest paid assistants in the country. This is nothing more than a bribe. 

Honest question, what is an assistant coach who can deliver the top player and a top 25 player worth? Plus he is a really good dude. I can't imagine his salary comes close to the value that he is providing to the school.

That family really is too good to be true,

6 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

People forget Don Haskins was a high school girls basketball coach before he took the job at Texas Western

11 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Mizzou Hoops Insider desires to believe alternate stories.

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Head coaching record[edit]

Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Missouri State Bears (Missouri Valley Conference) (2008–2011)
2008–09 Missouri State 11–20 3–15 10th  
2009–10 Missouri State 24–12 8–10 7th CIT Champions
2010–11 Missouri State 26–9 15–3 1st NIT Second Round
Missouri State: 61–41 (.598) 26–28 (.481)  
Tennessee Volunteers (Southeastern Conference) (2011–2014)
2011–12 Tennessee 19–15 10–6 T–2nd NIT Second Round
2012–13 Tennessee 20–13 11–7 T–5th NIT First Round
2013–14 Tennessee 24–13 11–7 4th NCAA Sweet Sixteen
Tennessee: 63–41 (.606) 32–20 (.615)  
California Golden Bears (Pac-12 Conference) (2014–2017)
2014–15 California 18–15 7–11 T–8th  
2015–16 California 23–11 12–6 T–3rd NCAA First Round
2016–17 California 21–13 10–8 T–5th NIT First Round
California: 62–39 (.614) 28–24 (.538)  
Missouri Tigers (Southeastern Conference) (2017–present)
2017–18 Missouri        
Total: 186–121 (.606)

How does that 09-10 team get into the CIT with a losing record in the Valley? They had to be playing all D2 schools in the Non-conference to achieve that type of record. Still a normal practice by that program today as you couldn't have payed me to go to some games while I was just in school down there with some of the teams they schedule.

Thank you for the data RiseandGrind. Martin has had reasonably successful seasons in his career and has had teams going into post conference tournament play frequently. However his teams made it only once to sweet 16 in the NCAA, and were eliminated in the first round the only other time they played in the NCAA tournament. His teams  made it to only the first or second rounds in the NIT the four times they were invited to it, and won the CIT championship once. Out of 7 times his teams were invited to post conference tournaments, they were invited to play in the NCAA only twice. They were reasonably successful only once when they got to sweet 16, and they also won one CIT tournament's championship. Otherwise his teams record in the one other NCAA tournament they went to and the four NIT tournaments they went to ended with elimination in the first of second rounds.

Martin is certainly a capable coach, but his teams have been eliminated out of post conference play after the first or second rounds in most cases. There is no reason we should expect Mizzou to do a lot better that his other teams did in the past. If they manage to do better this season than in the past it will certainly be due to the talent he has managed to recruit for the coming season. However it remains to be seen if his current Mizzou team can do better this season than his prior teams have done in the past.

5 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Thank you for the data RiseandGrind. Martin has had reasonably successful seasons in his career and has had teams going into post conference tournament play frequently. However his teams made it only once to sweet 16 in the NCAA, and were eliminated in the first round the only other time they played in the NCAA tournament. His teams  made it to only the first or second rounds in the NIT the four times they were invited to it, and won the CIT championship once. Out of 7 times his teams were invited to post conference tournaments, they were invited to play in the NCAA only twice. They were reasonably successful only once when they got to sweet 16, and they also won one CIT tournament's championship. Otherwise his teams record in the one other NCAA tournament they went to and the four NIT tournaments they went to ended with elimination in the first of second rounds.

Martin is certainly a capable coach, but his teams have been eliminated out of post conference play after the first or second rounds in most cases. There is no reason we should expect Mizzou to do a lot better that his other teams did in the past. If they manage to do better this season than in the past it will certainly be due to the talent he has managed to recruit for the coming season. However it remains to be seen if his current Mizzou team can do better this season than his prior teams have done in the past.

Doesn't that same reasoning force SLU fans to be resigned nothing better than one-and-done Tournament appearances?  Whatever happened to "past performance is not indicative of future results"?

I think (and hope) that both programs are positioned to exceed past results in the next few seasons.

8 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Honest question, what is an assistant coach who can deliver the top player and a top 25 player worth? Plus he is a really good dude. I can't imagine his salary comes close to the value that he is providing to the school.

That family really is too good to be true,

do you really think if he wasnt m porter jr's father he would have been able to recruit his two sons and deservedly get a D1 men's coaching job?    if you believe that you are an idiot.   you were more qualified for that job than he was.   

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

do you really think if he wasnt m porter jr's father he would have been able to recruit his two sons and deservedly get a D1 men's coaching job?    if you believe that you are an idiot.   you were more qualified for that job than he was.   

This kind of crap should stop. It may be within the rules, but it is completely unethical. I hope Mr Porter was at least decent enough to share some of the money with his children. The NCAA should limit the number of assistants a team can have on staff to stop this nonsense. At the very least Mr Porter should not have received any more money than that of an entry level assistant.  What will Mr Porter's duties be??? Will he even be required to go to practice????? A university full of scandal, just added to their mess.......

8 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Doesn't that same reasoning force SLU fans to be resigned nothing better than one-and-done Tournament appearances?  Whatever happened to "past performance is not indicative of future results"?

I think (and hope) that both programs are positioned to exceed past results in the next few seasons.

I hope for exactly the same outcome as you do.

21 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

This kind of crap should stop. It may be within the rules, but it is completely unethical. I hope Mr Porter was at least decent enough to share some of the money with his children. The NCAA should limit the number of assistants a team can have on staff to stop this nonsense. At the very least Mr Porter should not have received any more money than that of an entry level assistant.  What will Mr Porter's duties be??? Will he even be required to go to practice????? A university full of scandal, just added to their mess.......

there is a limit.  3.   Therefore there is some solace that mi$$ouri now has a coaching staff of actually only 2 assistants that can actually recruit and teach while legit coaching staffs have 3.  

24 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

there is a limit.  3.   Therefore there is some solace that mi$$ouri now has a coaching staff of actually only 2 assistants that can actually recruit and teach while legit coaching staffs have 3.  

What I meant to say is that they should limit it further. There seems like an army of assistants at the end of the bench. I assume they are grad assistants/film guys???

48 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Can we change the title of this thread so I can stop clicking on it 

The last 10 pages have been bickering about Mizzou-related BS. I hope no one gets upset if and when I post recruiting info, given that SLU is still recruiting the 2018 class.

This little brother syndrome, the Mizzou obsession, is pathetic.