Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

Just now, gobillsgo said:

Lmao. 

Think for yourself a little bit here. Why would they fire Romar at that point in time, if the Porters were still solid commits?

romar was fired because the Porters were leaving. The porters didn't leave because romar was fired. 

So when Porter tweeted how upset he was about Romar getting fired and said "I was looking forward to big things next year here"...i guess he was lying.  Just curious.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

So when Porter tweeted how upset he was about Romar getting fired and said "I was looking forward to big things next year here"...i guess he was lying.  Just curious.

He was definitely lying. Kind of like the same lying one does when asked if those pants make a girl's butt look big.

Remember a few weeks ago when MJP said he had no idea what Jontay was going to do and then a few days later Jontay said he was going to reclassify. 100% honest there right?

24 minutes ago, MUTGR said:

I don't know. I do know the only reason Roy has a problem with it is where they both ended up. If it was KU and Bill Self or anywhere else he would not have any problem with it. Dare I say if it was SLU he would be quite pleased. 

not if washington and illinois hadnt released them first.   porter had announced mi$$ouri before washington released him because martin had hired his daddy.   

20 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

314 is just an impartial "coach" with no allegiance to SPUMAC :lol::lol:

Yes, it certainly appears he was lying, but IF he wasn't lying, he certainly moved on VERY quickly from Romar's firing... "I'm coming home" http://www.kitsapsun.com/story/sports/columnists/jim-moore/2017/03/26/porter-mess-puts-huskies-others-shame/99668296/

2 minutes ago, ACE said:

314 is just an impartial "coach" with no allegiance to SPUMAC :lol::lol:

Yes, it certainly appears he was lying, but IF he wasn't lying, he certainly moved on VERY quickly from Romar's firing... "I'm coming home" http://www.kitsapsun.com/story/sports/columnists/jim-moore/2017/03/26/porter-mess-puts-huskies-others-shame/99668296/

Sorry.  Thought the topic was Porter and Mizzou.  Porter had lived in Columbia for many years before he moved for his Senior year.  After the firing of Romar he put out a list of schools he was considering after he got his release.  He set a date for the announcement.  Imo Mizzou was his 1st choice from the beginning but because of Anderson being there and the direction the program was in he went to his second choice.  

43 minutes ago, MUTGR said:

I don't know. I do know the only reason Roy has a problem with it is where they both ended up. If it was KU and Bill Self or anywhere else he would not have any problem with it. Dare I say if it was SLU he would be quite pleased. 

You obviously do not know Roy.  He can be very inflexible even if it does benefit SLU.  No, he has maintained the same high minded approach for years.

2 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Sorry.  Thought the topic was Porter and Mizzou.  Porter had lived in Columbia for many years before he moved for his Senior year.  After the firing of Romar he put out a list of schools he was considering after he got his release.  He set a date for the announcement.  Imo Mizzou was his 1st choice from the beginning but because of Anderson being there and the direction the program was in he went to his second choice.  

Boy, you just love Mizzou don't you "coach" :lol:

Kid moved on VERY quickly from the Romar firing.

41 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Well, the tweet could have not been sincere.  Rumors were running rampant that the father wanted out and back in Columbia so the tweet may have just been a cover for when he actually did leave.

It's ridiculous that this conversation is even occuring in a 2018 recruiting thread, but to those that believe MJP wasn't lying, please read this article:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/good-timing-brings-porter-family-back-to-mizzou/article_b6d933c4-551e-5d31-b722-377431810395.html

“It was really hard, man,” Porter said. “It’s been well-documented how close-knit our family is. We watched every (Mizzou women’s) game on SEC Network or on the ESPN3 live streaming. It still wasn’t like being here. I hated missing the games and not sharing that part of their college experience.”

Pingeton knew how much her sister and brother-in-law missed Columbia. She talked to new Mizzou athletics director Jim Sterk about their situation in Seattle. Sterk did his own research, watching clips of Porter Jr. on YouTube.

“They weren’t shy that they really wanted to come back,” Sterk said. “We heard it from a number of people. I heard it from Robin. I knew if things worked out right and we hired a coach (the Porters) were confident in, then we’d have a great shot at getting them back.”

By then Sterk had decided to fire Anderson and focused on Cal coach Martin. On March 15, the day Mizzou announced Martin’s hire, Washington fired Romar and his staff. The Porters became the No. 1 free agent family in college basketball.

“By the time Cuonzo and I met personally, I think there had already been talks between Michael Sr. and (Martin),” Sterk said. “They met and they hit it off and that was all positive.”

The Mizzou Athletic Director says it right there! They wanted to come back and it was basically a done deal before Martin was even hired.

12 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Come on coach, you are kidding yourself if you don't think the Porters knew they were leaving for Mizzou and Romar got fired because the Porters weren't staying.  Rumors were circulating well before Romar got fired that Mizzou would be getting the Porters.  And it's not like they did some evil thing, they decided they wanted to be closer to Mizzou and their family.  Can't fault them but it's crazy to believe this wasn't decided before Romar was fired and before he was released from Washington.  

This is the world of big-time recruiting and big-time basketball.

Until a recruit signs on the dotted line, coaches are going to try to get him. There is no rule on the books that says that anyone has to back off on a verbal commit, and many coaches don't. 

Coach Ford is recruiting against the best for some really good players...and there is always a concern that coaches don't honor verbals. 

2 minutes ago, JettFlight5 said:

This is the world of big-time recruiting and big-time basketball.

Until a recruit signs on the dotted line, coaches are going to try to get him. There is no rule on the books that says that anyone has to back off on a verbal commit, and many coaches don't. 

Coach Ford is recruiting against the best for some really good players...and there is always a concern that coaches don't honor verbals. 

Yep. While I obviously hope Gordon honors his commitment, there's nothing legally keeping other coaches from recruiting him. Perhaps it is immoral to try to poach other teams' commits. However, if the situation were reversed and there were rumors Gordon was considering SLU, I'd obviously hope he switched. 

15 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Come on coach, you are kidding yourself if you don't think the Porters knew they were leaving for Mizzou and Romar got fired because the Porters weren't staying.  Rumors were circulating well before Romar got fired that Mizzou would be getting the Porters.  And it's not like they did some evil thing, they decided they wanted to be closer to Mizzou and their family.  Can't fault them but it's crazy to believe this wasn't decided before Romar was fired and before he was released from Washington.  

I am not disputing that.  Romar had been on the hot seat for a while. Washington wasn't performing up to expectations.  I am quite sure they stayed informed on what was going on. My response was to the accusations that this was some calculated plot by Martin.  Inquiring about a kid after you get fired who has roots in the city of your new job you are possibly about to take is not devious to me.

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

you dont think interferring in an agreement or promise a young man and his family made to another program before the other program renounces their mutual agreement is not unethical?

now if the young man who for example was going to go to ohio state, announces he has to back out of his declaration for personal family reasons, and the then ohio state then says they understand and they agree the young man should seek other alternatives to best address his current situation, and then and only then another school and that young man agree to talk that is fine.   but it should be in that order.   both the young man and the intended school should announce that their agreement has been mutually cancelled before other parties get involved.  

Exactly, Martin is a slime ball. Can't understand all the Mizzou support on this board. 

4 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Ok, they finally posted it. Frank said that Gordon was at Mizzou on Saturday at the game with Porter and Tilmon, but he was also at SLU Saturday morning with his girlfriend and met with the coaches. SLU feels like the commitment is strong.

Finally listened to this.  He never saw a picture of Gordon at Mizzou either.  Is it not possible it was Alize Johnson who we know for sure was at Mizzou?  I just find it hard to believe there isn't a single picture of Gordon at Mizzou. 

1 hour ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Porter Jr couldn't leave until Romar got fired. The LOI was binding, but schools will usually release recruits when the coach leaves.. Martin is actually yet to steal a single player from anybody. And he yes players commit to coaches more often than not.

You're right, he didn't steal Porter Jr. he bought Porter Jr by giving his father an unwarranted amount of money.  Open your eyes.  Everyone knows how this went down.  If the (coaching job) money doesn't change hands, Porter Sr and Jr are not in Columbia.  And the negotiations all happened prior to Jr getting a release. 

2 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Exactly, Martin is a slime ball. Can't understand all the Mizzou support on this board. 

Keep trashing Martin like this.  Both schools are now focusing on St. Louis area recruits.  This will only help Mizzou.  Cheers!

14 minutes ago, MUTGR said:

Keep trashing Martin like this.  Both schools are now focusing on St. Louis area recruits.  This will only help Mizzou.  Cheers!

Martin: "kid, we would love to see you be a Tiger."

recruit: "whatever you want coach. I was reading Billikens.com and they were mean to you. I got you."

Martin: "Now THAT is integrity kid! Welcome to the Porter's team."

41 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

You're right, he didn't steal Porter Jr. he bought Porter Jr by giving his father an unwarranted amount of money.  Open your eyes.  Everyone knows how this went down.  If the (coaching job) money doesn't change hands, Porter Sr and Jr are not in Columbia.  And the negotiations all happened prior to Jr getting a release. 

Nothing wrong with offering an unemployed coach a job. Many other schools did the same.  He's been a legitimate college coach for years. There's nothing slimy or about it. You hire coaches that can get recruits. He delivered two 5 star recruits. There's nothing wrong with that.