Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, CBFan said:

Would Ware be worth signing if he would take a redshirt?

This was talked about last week in another thread (I think), basically that it is becoming less common for incoming players to take a redshirt. Guys are saving redshirt years for transfers (or injuries), and taking a prep year before college to develop and to possibly draw higher-level schools of interest. Coaching tenures are also getting shorter, and taking a first-year redshirt is a five-year commitment not everyone wants to make.

There's also the risk of bringing in a guy with the intention of redshirting, but he feels like he's competing at a high enough level with his teammates to where he doesn't want to sit a year. So you only want to bring in a guy who absolutely agrees that he needs a redshirt development year.

The last disclaimer I'll throw in is that I'm not sure how much room we have in the 2019 class. Sure, you always count on transfers, but as it stands, that would be the graduation year for Bess, Foreman, and maybe a grad transfer (if that's who lands our last scholarship this spring). Then also maybe Welmer, if he decides to transfer or doesn't end up playing out his career.

If I knew we'd have 4 spots, I'd say Ware is definitely worth considering. He's trimmed down but still has plenty of work to do with the strength and conditioning staff. He didn't play at a particularly high competition level in HS or AAU. But he's really a force, an absolute bull who can score a ton (was 2nd in the state of Kentucky at 32.0 PPG, behind only Zion Harmon, who is a 5-star freak freshman talent). He goes to the rim like a Mack truck and his range is basically unlimited, even if he's a bit streaky from outside. He's flown way, way under the radar but he's intriguing.

My tl;dr answer to your question is: I'd rather recruit him as a fifth-year prep player than stash him as a redshirt. That scholarship would be better used on a grad transfer guard this year, and we'll wait and see what the scholarship picture looks like.

Omar Silverio commits to Rhode Island. Had a SLU offer before committing to Santa Clara (over UMass and Fordham). Dayton, St. Bonaventure, UMass, and a few others were involved with Rhody since he decommitted from Santa Clara, and he called it for Rhody on his official visit there this week. Solid replacement for Brendan Adams.

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

This was talked about last week in another thread (I think), basically that it is becoming less common for incoming players to take a redshirt. Guys are saving redshirt years for transfers (or injuries), and taking a prep year before college to develop and to possibly draw higher-level schools of interest. Coaching tenures are also getting shorter, and taking a first-year redshirt is a five-year commitment not everyone wants to make.

There's also the risk of bringing in a guy with the intention of redshirting, but he feels like he's competing at a high enough level with his teammates to where he doesn't want to sit a year. So you only want to bring in a guy who absolutely agrees that he needs a redshirt development year.

The last disclaimer I'll throw in is that I'm not sure how much room we have in the 2019 class. Sure, you always count on transfers, but as it stands, that would be the graduation year for Bess, Foreman, and maybe a grad transfer (if that's who lands our last scholarship this spring). Then also maybe Welmer, if he decides to transfer or doesn't end up playing out his career.

If I knew we'd have 4 spots, I'd say Ware is definitely worth considering. He's trimmed down but still has plenty of work to do with the strength and conditioning staff. He didn't play at a particularly high competition level in HS or AAU. But he's really a force, an absolute bull who can score a ton (was 2nd in the state of Kentucky at 32.0 PPG, behind only Zion Harmon, who is a 5-star freak freshman talent). He goes to the rim like a Mack truck and his range is basically unlimited, even if he's a bit streaky from outside. He's flown way, way under the radar but he's intriguing.

My tl;dr answer to your question is: I'd rather recruit him as a fifth-year prep player than stash him as a redshirt. That scholarship would be better used on a grad transfer guard this year, and we'll wait and see what the scholarship picture looks like.

Thank you for the response Pistol even though he committed to Jacksonville State I always value what you think about players and more importantly you thoughts on redshirting players is interesting.

2 hours ago, SLU_Lax said:

I’m assuming you need a recap of Joel Osteen. I did not watch it, but I’m pretty sure he said that...

Jesus loves you and he needs money. Anything you want is possible with Jesus, but he still needs your money. A check or money order sent to Joel should suffice. 

haters gonna hate

19 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

Shannon posted about it himself actually. 

14 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Scored 32 against Boo Williams (a traditionally strong AAU team). Considered a late bloomer "break out" star of the first weekend.

I've seen him as both an 18 and 19 recruit. I'll leave the rest to Pistol. 

Thanks, guys. I'll put a bio together and throw this over in the 2019 Recruiting thread.