Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

9 hours ago, The Wiz said:

You are missing something ....but I can't tell you what it is....If he got 1 shot per minute....that would be unbelievable....he is shooting 3 1/3 per minute or the equivalent of 133  shots per game....Let me know when you figure it out.

I know!  I know!  The stats are off on the Chipola website, every game lists everyone as playing for 1 minute [*smugly sits back, like a winner*].

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He reads as a Henriquez replacement, to me. He's 6-5 or 6-6, depending on which bio you prefer, and takes about 2/3 of his FGA from beyond the arc. He's a qualifier and would have three years of eligibility immediately. I can't find any video on him outside of a few clips posted on a Twitter account he hasn't used since mid-2017.

By the way, I saw the name Shamarkus Kennedy on Chipola's roster and it rung a faint bell. SLU recruited him out of HS, at least showed some interest, but didn't end up offering (VCU, Richmond, Murray State, and others also showed interest that year). I think because he wasn't going to qualify - he committed to Chipola in fall of his senior year. He's a sophomore there now and should sign with a D-I school this spring.

I know he's not coming to SLU, but Ramey recruiting news still feels relevant to us. Tyger Campbell just committed to UCLA. Assuming the word that Quinerly will commit to Villanova soon is true, Ramey is running out of options among his finalists.

Texas and Oklahoma State are the two he's visited/visiting so far (he cancelled Villanova and I'm assuming the same will be true of UCLA), although Texas already appears to be overbooked. OSU has room scholarship-wise and neither of the sophomore PGs would play above Ramey. Ohio State and Clemson have supposedly stayed involved.

Mizzou and Louisville were both said to still be in it, but Xavier Pinson just committed to Mizzou.

It also seems like Illinois is entering the mix in a big way, and his dad said SMU, Tennessee, Minnesota, Maryland, South Carolina, and Mississippi State have all inquired lately, so he has other options if he wants them.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

I know he's not coming to SLU, but Ramey recruiting news still feels relevant to us. Tyger Campbell just committed to UCLA. Assuming the word that Quinerly will commit to Villanova soon is true, Ramey is running out of options among his finalists.

Texas and Oklahoma State are the two he's visited/visiting so far (he cancelled Villanova and I'm assuming the same will be true of UCLA), although Texas already appears to be overbooked. OSU has room scholarship-wise and neither of the sophomore PGs would play above Ramey. Ohio State and Clemson have supposedly stayed involved.

Mizzou and Louisville were both said to still be in it, but Xavier Pinson just committed to Mizzou.

It also seems like Illinois is entering the mix in a big way, and his dad said SMU, Tennessee, Minnesota, Maryland, South Carolina, and Mississippi State have all inquired lately, so he has other options if he wants them.

Now that more recruiting is necessary I was wondering about two recruits listed and what you thought of our chances for a commitment and can these guys help immediately.

Also, I was wondering of the available recruits that might want to come to SLU who would you like?

Thank you.

Tyson Walker - PG, 5-11, 150

Karrington Davis - SG, 6-5, 175

6 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Now that more recruiting is necessary I was wondering about two recruits listed and what you thought of our chances for a commitment and can these guys help immediately.

Also, I was wondering of the available recruits that might want to come to SLU who would you like?

Thank you.

Tyson Walker - PG, 5-11, 150

Karrington Davis - SG, 6-5, 175

(Apologies for length, but I'm breaking down our 2018 offers player by player, starting with the two asked about here.)

Walker seems like a stretch to me. He's a well rounded player, but he's small and hasn't developed his senior year like I'd hoped. His recruitment has been virtually silent this season. He played in the Bass Pro tournament against Webster Groves and didn't do much at all. Granted, his HS team is all about the two massive big men - Kofi Cockburn and Moussa Cisse - but he's still not who we hoped he'd be when we offered. If I were pressed to guess, I'd say he goes for a prep year. If he commits in the spring, it'll be somewhere in the MAAC or NEC or another conference along those lines.

Davis transferred from Chaminade to Montverde this year, and it's proven to be a pretty stupid move. He wanted more exposure, so he chose one of the top three programs in the entire country. He's getting all the travel he could've wanted, and college coaches in the stands every night - problem is, he's warming the bench while a bunch of 4- and 5-star players get all the minutes. In the meantime, he went from top-150 riser who had been getting more attention than his classmate Jericole Hellems to having his recruitment go silent while Hellems blew up and committed to NC State. I don't know which, if any, of his offers are still fresh. He might have to take a fifth year somewhere to get back on the map. It astonishes me that someone could leave Chaminade and find himself in a much more expensive situation for his parents. That's hard to do.

There aren't many names left on the offer list that I'm high on. I like the juco (Mahan) offer, and I think Griffin is a nice player but I can't tell if we're involved again with him. My guess is that whoever we end up getting to fill our newly open spots, we don't have the name on this list yet.

Madut Akec is intriguing but raw, and I don't think he's got much of a jump shot. If we had a loaded roster and had room to stash a guy and potentially redshirt him, I'd take a flyer. But we're going to need instant contributors so I'm not sure this is the direction I'd go.

Junub Char Chuol has transferred 3-4 times in the past year-plus, bouncing from one prep school to another, back to Omaha, and then back to one of those prep schools again because he wouldn't be eligible in Nebraska. He's a long 6-4 but super skinny. He can shoot and create and is pretty shifty, and he's drawn a higher level of attention than Akec, but again, he's not a guy who's going to come in and contribute right away.

Alan Griffin has been super steady his senior year. He's Adrian Griffin's son, and has great size on the wing. He plays on an excellent Stepinac team with a few other surefire D-I recruits (his younger brother, plus sophomore SLU recruit R.J. Davis, a nice PG) and has shown to be unselfish and solid. St. John's is turning up the heat. Xavier and Minnesota are starting to sniff around, too. He's got a number of A10 offers. I think he'd be a nice get, although we offered a while back and I'm not sure where we stand.

Demarius Jacobs is the kid who had committed to SIUC, then backed off and took a prep year at Hillcrest (AZ). He's been very good for Hillcrest but I'm not sure who's recruiting him at the moment. He's a high-energy player and has led them in scoring many nights. His younger brother is committed to Kansas, but instead of staying at Hillcrest, he went back home to Chicago.

Brandon Mahan is the juco we offered the other day. Good size, basically a big three-point shooter. Henriquez replacement. Immediately eligible, with three years remaining.

Markquis Nowell is a short, stocky, strong NYC PG. Plenty of highlight vids, including some playground stuff, but not a lot of recruiting heat. I think he was highly touted as a schoolboy and early HS player, but then never had a growth spurt. My guess is most offers are stale and he'll end up at a smaller school or prep school, but I really don't know. He's a mystery to me.

Ramey is next alphabetically but we know the situation there.

Dallas Watson is the last 2018 name on the offer list who isn't committed elsewhere already. SLU was still in the picture heading into the academic year, but once our class filled, it went quiet. I don't know if we'll fire it back up again for him or not. His recruitment has been quiet across the board, not just with us, during his senior year. He's played fine, just not upped his level. I could see him going Ivy League.

4 minutes ago, Pistol said:

(Apologies for length, but I'm breaking down our 2018 offers player by player, starting with the two asked about here.)

Walker seems like a stretch to me. He's a well rounded player, but he's small and hasn't developed his senior year like I'd hoped. His recruitment has been virtually silent this season. He played in the Bass Pro tournament against Webster Groves and didn't do much at all. Granted, his HS team is all about the two massive big men - Kofi Cockburn and Moussa Cisse - but he's still not who we hoped he'd be when we offered. If I were pressed to guess, I'd say he goes for a prep year. If he commits in the spring, it'll be somewhere in the MAAC or NEC or another conference along those lines.

Davis transferred from Chaminade to Montverde this year, and it's proven to be a pretty stupid move. He wanted more exposure, so he chose one of the top three programs in the entire country. He's getting all the travel he could've wanted, and college coaches in the stands every night - problem is, he's warming the bench while a bunch of 4- and 5-star players get all the minutes. In the meantime, he went from top-150 riser who had been getting more attention than his classmate Jericole Hellems to having his recruitment go silent while Hellems blew up and committed to NC State. I don't know which, if any, of his offers are still fresh. He might have to take a fifth year somewhere to get back on the map. It astonishes me that someone could leave Chaminade and find himself in a much more expensive situation for his parents. That's hard to do.

There aren't many names left on the offer list that I'm high on. I like the juco (Mahan) offer, and I think Griffin is a nice player but I can't tell if we're involved again with him. My guess is that whoever we end up getting to fill our newly open spots, we don't have the name on this list yet.

Madut Akec is intriguing but raw, and I don't think he's got much of a jump shot. If we had a loaded roster and had room to stash a guy and potentially redshirt him, I'd take a flyer. But we're going to need instant contributors so I'm not sure this is the direction I'd go.

Junub Char Chuol has transferred 3-4 times in the past year-plus, bouncing from one prep school to another, back to Omaha, and then back to one of those prep schools again because he wouldn't be eligible in Nebraska. He's a long 6-4 but super skinny. He can shoot and create and is pretty shifty, and he's drawn a higher level of attention than Akec, but again, he's not a guy who's going to come in and contribute right away.

Alan Griffin has been super steady his senior year. He's Adrian Griffin's son, and has great size on the wing. He plays on an excellent Stepinac team with a few other surefire D-I recruits (his younger brother, plus sophomore SLU recruit R.J. Davis, a nice PG) and has shown to be unselfish and solid. St. John's is turning up the heat. Xavier and Minnesota are starting to sniff around, too. He's got a number of A10 offers. I think he'd be a nice get, although we offered a while back and I'm not sure where we stand.

Demarius Jacobs is the kid who had committed to SIUC, then backed off and took a prep year at Hillcrest (AZ). He's been very good for Hillcrest but I'm not sure who's recruiting him at the moment. He's a high-energy player and has led them in scoring many nights. His younger brother is committed to Kansas, but instead of staying at Hillcrest, he went back home to Chicago.

Brandon Mahan is the juco we offered the other day. Good size, basically a big three-point shooter. Henriquez replacement. Immediately eligible, with three years remaining.

Markquis Nowell is a short, stocky, strong NYC PG. Plenty of highlight vids, including some playground stuff, but not a lot of recruiting heat. I think he was highly touted as a schoolboy and early HS player, but then never had a growth spurt. My guess is most offers are stale and he'll end up at a smaller school or prep school, but I really don't know. He's a mystery to me.

Ramey is next alphabetically but we know the situation there.

Dallas Watson is the last 2018 name on the offer list who isn't committed elsewhere already. SLU was still in the picture heading into the academic year, but once our class filled, it went quiet. I don't know if we'll fire it back up again for him or not. His recruitment has been quiet across the board, not just with us, during his senior year. He's played fine, just not upped his level. I could see him going Ivy League.

Thank you very much I appreciate the summary.

It will be interesting where coach Ford and company go for recruiting to patch the holes.

My biggest concern is guards and I am hoping some guard out there would love to play with our bigs that will finish when the ball is passed to them.

The other thread approaching 300 pages is too depressing and I hope others on this site will start thinking about how to patch the holes.

I am not happy about S2 but I will be back next season keeping the Billiken dream of top 50 basketball alive.

The Mrs. and I have had so much fun at the games the last two Saturdays that it took me off the ledge.

2 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

@CBFan @Pistol. I heard he had grade issues at Chaminade.  Plus he got hurt during the summer and they were looking for more exposure for more offers this year.  Good kid.  He was starting to come into his own at Chaminade.  

Thank you coach, would he be a good fit at SLU?

Also any point guards out there you feel could help out immediately next season?

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

To my knowledge, he did not have grade issues. I have this on pretty good information. He was just looking for a bigger stage. He made the wrong decision.

Thanks.  

I agree.  He should have stayed.

@CBFan...I like him.  I thought he was making good progress last year.  Long, athletic, rebounds,  plays D.  Streaky shooter...attacks the rim.  I think it depends on who is returning next year.  Pg might be a bigger need to go with these 2018 recruits.

Any chance we can somehow convince (lie to) Mac McClung that SLU is a better jesuit school than Georgetown? Has anyone see this kid dunk?Oh me oh my!   I don't even care about his shooting or assists to turn over ratio!

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/mac-mcclung-185060

52 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Any chance we can somehow convince (lie to) Mac McClung that SLU is a better jesuit school than Georgetown? Has anyone see this kid dunk?Oh me oh my!   I don't even care about his shooting or assists to turn over ratio!

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/mac-mcclung-185060

He's committed. Ford is no Cuonzo