Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

2 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

At the risk of furthering FDL's narrative that my whole purpose here, for over 15 years, is to advance the cause of all things Mizzou: after reading these posts and giving it further thought, I guess I have to retract my accusation that the graphic design is a recruiting violation.  It's the kid, not the school, posting the image.  The school sends it privately to the recruit as part of the pitch, and the kid posts the graphic of the school he commits to — kind of like how, in the old days, kids would have a press conference with each school's hat in a row, and he would put on the hat of the school he would sign with.  The schools send the hats; they aren't going out and buying them.

Therefore, I can't malign Mizzou for its design.  That's just marketing.  They'd be dumb not to use the design they chose, and it's not dirty.  SLU can and should be doing the same kind of "slick" marketing campaigns with its recruits.

And SLU is. See Gordan's pinned tweet that was such a hot topic these past couple days as evidence.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

Doesn't help when the chickenshiite power five schools won't come to the 'fets

Back in the 90s we were in the Great Midwest. Loved that conference. Casual fans could relate more to playing Louisville, Memphis, Marquette, Cincy, etc.. then playing St Bona, Fordham, LaSalle... Also our OOC schedule was always top 10 that featured marquis match-ups like, ILL,  UCLA, Kansas, AZ, etc.. Now we are lucky to get a bottom-feeder P5 school

11 hours ago, brianstl said:

VTime or HScoach or whatever you want to be known as, I have question for you.  Why are none of your thousand plus posts on Tigerboard a defense of Ford when his integrity is challenged on that board?  There are tons of posts questioning Ford's integrity over there, but non of you defending Ford.

I've seen them bash Ford for transferring, but I missed any posts attacking his present day character or calling him a cheater. I don't read tigerboard everyday.

1 hour ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

I've seen them bash Ford for transferring, but I missed any posts attacking his present day character or calling him a cheater. I don't read tigerboard everyday.

You don't read very carefully then....it is done continually on both tigerboard and powermizzou  

2 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

I don't go on Tiger board or PowerMizzou, but I've seen a ton of Mizzou fans, Illini fans, and others who accuse Ford of paying recruits.  If it is on twitter, I'm sure it is on those message boards as well.

Funny thing is that Ford (like Cuonzo) has never been in hot water with the NCAA as far as I know.  It's not like we're talking about Kelvin Sampson or Frank Haith.  Further, as far as I know SLU hasn't been in NCAA hot water in my lifetime, but Illinois has and Mizzou has multiple times.  Jealousy aimed at SLU is a new thing and it often causes rational thought to go out the window.

2 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

So kinda sounds like you think the SPUMAC fans have the moral high ground? :blink:

3 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

Jesus Christ.... so much bull**** to scroll through on this thread just to try to information about 2018 recruits:

SO... who are targeting and who is looking like a likely commit (if anybody)?

Pretty simple... everybody is focused on Rhoden at this point.

17 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

Jesus Christ.... so much bull**** to scroll through on this thread just to try to information about 2018 recruits:

SO... who are targeting and who is looking like a likely commit (if anybody)?

In the last few days we have had in home visits with Talen Horton-Tucker and Jared Rhoden.  They are the top targets at this time.

11 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

Doesn't help when the chickenshiite power five schools won't come to the 'fets

Agreed, but I consider the Big East as a P5 school (or equivalent to the P5 conference schools) and we have two of them coming next year-Butler and Oregon State.  That's a start along with the neutral court games in tournaments.

12 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Talen Horton Tucker seems like a long shot, but that would be awesome. 

Yeah it definitely seems like he would be. Getting a Big10 recruit out of Simeon in Chicago would be a huge recruiting coup. I can't imagine it happening, but I might be more impressed, from a recruiting standpoint, with that than with the Gordon commitment. 

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Talen Horton Tucker seems like a long shot, but that would be awesome. 

I think the consensus was that Horton-Tucker is a MSU lean, but Izzo got a commitment from a different 3 last week.  Still a lot of heavy hitters as competition.  SLU and Dayton are the only non power conference programs among his 13 finalists.  You got to think that they both have some kind of shot or why would he even bother to keep them around at this point.  Horton-Tucker is another player that SLU, the Illini and Mizzou are all in on.  He is probably the top remaining legit target for both SLU and Mizzou.

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

Yeah it definitely seems like he would be. Getting a Big10 recruit out of Simeon in Chicago would be a huge recruiting coup. I can't imagine it happening, but I might be more impressed, from a recruiting standpoint, with that than with the Gordon commitment. 

I think his mother is a teacher. They have visited SLU several times unofficially, I've been told. 

Tyrese Martin committed to Rhode Island. It had been looking like a two-team race between Rhody and Seton Hall for a couple months, and he was looking to commit soon, so this wasn't a surprise. He's a 6-6, 195 lb. shooting guard who we'll be seeing plenty of in the future.